*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966827-The-Little-Drummer-Bear
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1966827
An ornament scrambles out of the holiday tree to sing to a baby.
The Little Drummer Bear


It was the end of hibernation and chattering began. Excited voices in the attic, plus some pushing and shoving by the children, gathering all the boxes filled with Christmas ornaments.

The little drummer cub stretched the full length of his confinement and scratched behind his fuzzy brown ears.

“Look, Mom, I found Boo Bear.” Carrie brought it close to her mom’s face like little kids do to make sure you see the object of their desire.

“Yes, dear. It’s very precious.”

When all the decorations were brought downstairs the Johnson family, well mostly the three children, decorated the pine tree. Dad wrapped the tree with twinkling lights, and mom placed the shining star at the very top. Jonathan, the oldest, dressed the upper part of the tree. Next, Lucy trimmed the middle, and Carrie, the shortest, finished the bottom portion.

He hated being last. He straightened his hat, dusted off his red velvet jacket, and then clutched his drum sticks. He fidgeted and tapped his foot.

The agony ended when Carrie’s pudgy fingers plucked him from the box lined with tissue paper. She hung him next to a silver ball ornament. “You are my favorite,” she told Boo Bear.

Boo Bear and the other ornaments watched as the family set up a nativity scene under the tree. After milk and cookies were set out for Santa Claus, the mom told the children to get ready for bed. Carrie lagged behind.

“Carrie…it’s time to say goodnight.” Mom persisted. “It’s almost Christmas Day.”

Still reluctant, Dad scooped her up and tickled Carrie all the way up the stairs. Her happy giggles a joy to Boo Bear’s ears. Mom hung five stockings over the fireplace and blew out the cinnamon scented candles.

When the house was quiet again, Boo Bear visited with his friends. Angel fluttered her wings, the tin soldier saluted everyone, and three wise men argued about who brought the best gift.

Their voices got louder and louder and soon the inhabitants of the Christmas tree started shushing the nativity scene.

So they stopped. Still it was not silent. The baby in the manger cried and cried. The wise men were all apologetic and stood helpless. One picked up the tiny baby, but it made the crying even worse.

“I have an idea,” said Boo Bear. He climbed down one branch and swung to the next one.

“What are you going to do?” called the angel.

Boo Bear shimmied down the last of the tree and padded to the nativity. The wise men stepped back. Mary was exhausted and Joseph wringed his hands.

Boo Bear beat the drum softly and began to sing.

Come they told me
Pa rum pum pum pum
A new born king to see
Pa rum pum pum pum


The Christmas tree joined him in song. And when the baby quieted he grinned at Boo Bear.

Then he smiled at me
Pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum


Words: 498
© Copyright 2013 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1966827-The-Little-Drummer-Bear