*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967845-Jane-eyre-in-class-essay
Rated: E · Other · Writing · #1967845
analyses on love using the book Jane Eyre
Evan Bell


English 1-2a Period 3


12/17/13


Jane Eyre in Class Essay








During Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, love and romance is a mainstay throughout the novel. At the beginning of the novel Jane is not loved. She lives with the Reeds, who neglect her and alienate her from the rest of the family. As the novel progresses, she finds love, loses love, and learns why and how to love. Jane first realizes she is in love is when she meets Mr. Rochester at his manor, Thornfeild. Jane is working as a teacher to Adele, the little girl thought t be Rochester's daughter, living at Thornfeild when the presence of Rochester gives Jane feelings she has never felt before. There is a oboius age defference between her and Rochester but age meant little to people back in the 1800's. Rochester is diffidently the one that is more clearly expressing his love first but when Jane realizes she too, has feelings for Rochester, they agree to marry. Jane and Rochester would have lived happily together if not for a dirty secret of Rochester's, that he has a wife named Bertha who is driven mad. The secret proves to be too much for Jane as she wants to forgive him, but realizes the best thing for her to do is leave. Jane says "I longed to be his, I panted to return: it was not too late, I could yet spare him the bitter pain of bereavement."(300). Jane had to make a decision not many people her age could make and it is a testimaent to the maturity Jane has. Jane will always love Rochester but had to fight her emotions and do what was best for her.

After Jane experienced love for the first time, she knew what love was and knew what love meant. Love cannot be faked, love has to be genuine and bring happiness. When St. John tells Jane he wants to marry her before he leaves for India, she knows this will be impossible How can she just run away with a man she barely know let alone loves. St. John says "You shall be mine. I claim you not for my pleasure, but for my sovereign's service."(376). St. John doesn't love Jane; he wants to marry her just as a service. Jane is now smart about love and knows if she had to leave Rochester for the good of herself, there was no way she would go with St. John. Jane has a conclusion about love and faking it will only make her miserable.

Jane's final chapter of love is when she finds Rochester living in the forest blind, and without an arm. He was a victim of burn wounds when Bertha burned Thornfeld down. Rochester, a broken man, living without purpose yells Jane's name at night, hopeing to be reunited with his lost lover. When Jane thinks she hears her name in the distance the thought of Rochester brings back the memories of love that was meant to be, but couldn't happen. Jane goes back to Thornfeild and is struck by sadness at the sight of Bertha's destruction. A maid tells Jane the wearabouts of Rochester and they finaly meet. Rochester notices her presence and is overjoyed. Their mutual love is finally rekindled and they live together in happiness having a child together. Rochester then miraculously regains some of his vision and many good things happen to them seemingly because their love is the purest form.

It seems as if Bronte is training Jane throughout the book to prepare her for what can happen regarding love. In the beginning, no love is given to Jane and she feels useless. Just when she begins to love a friend in Helen, she dies, leaving her without anyone close to her. When Jane meets Rochester, she once again finds love but has to leave it. Jane knows what love is now and denies St. John because of his idea of marriage as a service. Through all Jane's falls, triumps peaks and vally's, she has come out smarter, stronger and better off for it. The final meeting between Jane and Rochester is the final test Bronte is giving Jane and she passes, finally giving her whole heart to Rochester. Jane found her purpose and her love she has searched for her whole lifetime. Bronte's final message is that through love, anything can happen.



























© Copyright 2013 evan 781 (ebizzle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967845-Jane-eyre-in-class-essay