*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967864-Christmas-Surprises
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1967864
A short story for the holidays & contest entry
“I’m very sorry, Honey.  If I could change it I would.  And July will be here before we know it.” His face was contrite and his deep voice morose.  Vicki stared at the computer screen with her chin trembling with her effort to keep from crying.  Even across the distance and over the internet connection, she thought he was handsome, and Vicki loved him as much as she had nearly five years earlier when they’d married.  Their fifth anniversary was coming up on Christmas Eve and Dylan was nearing the end of his second deployment.  Vicki had hoped that he’d have his exit papers by the end of December, but his news had been disappointing to say the least. 

“I know,” she finally whispered, tucking a long strand of her dark hair behind her ear.  The tears swam in her soft brown eyes and she blinked several times to clear them.  “We’ll celebrate everything when you come home in July.”

“Absolutely!” Dylan Walker agreed with a gentle smile.  Vicki admired the way his smile softened his appearance.  Even though he was in his usual fatigues and he looked especially care-worn tonight, his blue eyes shown with his love and his cute little dimples were peeking out through his five o’clock shadow.  Dylan’s dark mahogany hair was still cropped close and Vicki found herself longing to run her hands over its peach-fuzzy softness.  The bulk of his chest muscles rippled under his camo green tee shirt as he moved, wringing the cap in he strong hands, hinting at his unhappiness.

“And I’ll make sure I have Skype time on Christmas Eve.  I know it won’t be as good as me being there, but it’s better than nothing.” Dylan smiled, trying to encourage her to look forward and let go of her disappointment.  He was always like that, trying to keep her spirits up rather than letting her focus on what she couldn’t change. 

“Yeah, I know.  I just hoped…” Vicki’s voice faded.

“I did too, Honey, but sometimes we just have to deal with what comes our way.”

“I know… you promise to get time on Christmas Eve?”

“You better believe it.  I have to go now.  I love you, Vic.”

“Love you back,” Vicki smiled weakly.  Moments later she pressed the disconnect key and powered down her computer despondently.

With a heavy heart, Vicki wandered up to her room, wishing that Dylan was home instead stationed on the other side of the world.  She picked up the picture on her bedside table and kissed the glass just as she did every night and made a silent plea for his safety.  Vicki looked at the picture a little longer, admiring how handsome Dylan looked in his dress uniform and a surge of pride washed over her.  Yes, he was far away and wouldn’t be home for the holidays and their anniversary, but he was serving the country and it was so important.

Vicki didn’t bother putting up a Christmas tree, she knew she’d be spending the bulk of her Christmas with her parents and sister.  Without Dylan there, she simply didn’t see the point.  As her anniversary approached, Vicki began to feel the warmth of life glowing within her.  The surprise trip to Germany that her parents had given her for her birthday and the weekend furlough that Dylan had had was a memory that would live on in her heart and mind… and now she was certain in the very face of the child she carried.  The news of her pregnancy had been the surprise she’d wanted to give him on their anniversary.  Now she’d have to do it over the internet connection rather than in person.

On Christmas Eve, Vicki didn’t stray far from the computer at her parent’s home, the fear of missing Dylan’s computer time was always present until she was actually online with him. 

“He knows to call here, right?” Janet Fleming asked of her daughter. 

“Yes.  He knows, Mom.” Vicki repeated.  She’d been asked this same question by her father, sister and brother-in-law and was getting tired of answering it.  But now that Dylan was more than an hour later than his usual time, Vicki was starting to worry.  Had something gone wrong?  Was he okay?  Fears began to grow in her mind and the fuse on her temper began to shrink. 

It was after eight in the evening when Vicki finally gave up waiting and decided that she was going to go home.  She was depressed and afraid and a little hurt.  Usually Dylan sent some sort of message if he wasn’t going to be able to keep their Skype time and today was their anniversary… where was he?

Vicki let herself into the dark home that she’d shared with Dylan for less than a year before he’d been deployed the second time and closed the door.  She trudged up the stairs to their bedroom, sad and miserable, with the idea that she would just go to bed and stay there until July.

A tingle of fear slithered up her spine when she noticed that the bathroom door was closed.  She couldn’t remember closing any doors with the exception of the front door when she’d left that morning.  With a trembling hand, Vicki reached out for the doorknob.

A tiny gasp of surprise escaped her when she opened the door to see the bathtub full of steamy water, rose petals scattered around the edge of the tub.  The bathroom was lit by dozens of candles of every size and shape and a large vase of a dozen red roses stood on the small shelf above the bathtub.  Before Vicki had a chance to think or even breathe, a pair of strong arms reached around her, pulling her against a solid chest.

The smell of Aramis wove around her senses, mingling with the heady scent of roses that hung heavy in the warm air.  Vicki felt the emotions bubbling up in her chest, choking her as tears spilled from her brown eyes.

“Happy Anniversary, Honey,” Dylan’s deep voice in her ear sent a shiver shimmying up her spine.  Vicki turned in his arms, running her hands up his bare chest, over his wide shoulders, up his neck to his handsome face as though touch was the only way she’d believe he was actually there and not just a dream.

“When did you get home?” she finally choked out.

“About an hour ago.  Sorry I missed our Skype time, I was in mid-flight.” Dylan smirked, his blue eyes twinkling.  Vicki wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him, every emotion that was bubbling inside her being conveyed in her tight embrace.

“I thought you weren’t supposed to be home until July?” she asked, her voice thick with her happy tears.

“There was a delay in my orders arriving.  I got them the day after Thanksgiving.  I wanted to surprise you and my CO helped me pull it off.  So… surprise!” Dylan grinned.

“Do you have to go back?”

“Nope.  You’re stuck with me, Honey.”

“Oh my god, I’m so glad you’re home!” Vicki exclaimed now that she firmly believed that he was there and not a figment of her wishful thinking.  Dylan’s arms tightened around her as his passionate kiss threatened to make her knees buckle.

“What do you say we make use of this nice, hot bath?” Dylan asked breathlessly.  Vicki eyed it warily, admonitions from her doctor echoing in her mind.

“How hot is it?” she asked.  Dylan frowned.

“The way you’ve always liked it… about as hot as can be handled.  Why?”

“Because I can’t get in it… it’s too hot.”

Dylan’s face almost made Vicki laugh as his disbelief turned comical.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Because our baby doesn’t like the heat,” Vicki grinned, her heart and mind serene knowing that Dylan was home and their baby was healthy and growing.  Dylan was quiet for a long moment of shock then his eyes dropped to her waist.

“Baby?” he asked shakily as he put his hand on her belly.  Vicki nodded, smiling broadly.

“And I thought I was the only one giving a Christmas surprise!”







word count: 1364
© Copyright 2013 Quiltingmama (quiltingmama at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1967864-Christmas-Surprises