*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/196822-An-Ode-To-America
Rated: ASR · Article · Philosophy · #196822
Well all, this is my opinion. Tell me your opinion, I'd love to hear it.
An Ode to America

         Oh, to be in beautiful America. The home of the free. A place where all men are created equal. That is except for the gays, and the blacks, and the women, and any one else who is not fortunate enough to be a wealthy caucasian male.
         Why do they try to deceive us? "Innocent until proven guilty," or so they say. Unless of course, you don't have enough money or are a rotten, unruly teenager. Because, of course, all teenagers are unruly, and rotten to the core.          Ah, what a country. We pride ourselves in our freedoms, always over looking the restrictions we bear. Who needs to pay attention to our flaws anyway? We are, after all, America, the home of the great. With leaders so fickle they feel the need to lie over something as trivial as sexual relations, but who also freely speak of the use of drugs. Who knows what other lies we have been persuaded to believe.
         Oh, our great America. With our idols of teen pop queens who perform strip teases to prove their maturity. Where young girls are forced to grow up too quickly, abandoning Barbie dolls for the stars who look like them. Erasing the lines between the ways of seven year olds and seventeen year olds. "What about the makeup you allow your twelve year old daughter to wear," cries a rapper we look down upon with scorn because we know he tells the truth that we refuse to admit.
         Oh, this gorgeous America. A wonderful place where we refuse to recognize the ugliness within ourselves. We can not do that, not as long as we have plenty of scapegoats to keep us comfortable with ourselves. If two boys shoot up a school it must have been a musicians fault. It could not have been due to rejection from their peers, nor from the lack of parental involvement. America's children, and families, are too perfect for that.
         Fantastic America! Where everyone can live the life styles they choose. We accept all of it. Interracial romance, a mixing of the classes, every bit of it is all right with us. Except for those homosexuals. We must not have any of that. That is too taboo for our likes, except for in Vermont. Though, I thought that governing by the church went out with the enlightenment. Pardon me, I must have been mistaken!
         Ah, to be living in a country as great as ours! Everyone should follow our example. We are the best. Screw those foreigners who dare call us swine! We, after all, carry the white man's burden. We must save the insolent fools from themselves. We are the proud, the great, the free. We are Americans. We shall not, and we can not, do wrong.
         I hope my words are not too harsh. If anyone is offended by them, well, so am I. However, that is the price we pay to live in our wonderful country. A nation which at least grants us the freedom of speech. Except, of course, when they threaten to use it against us.

© Copyright 2001 ~*~Pink and Black~*~ (glamgirlmm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/196822-An-Ode-To-America