*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969945-The-Assassin
Rated: GC · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1969945
Killer on the loose
The killer waits on a hill overlooking an old house. It is raining hard. The preditor is lying in wait amid the thorns and stinging nettles. Something is underneath their arm and it is elbowed away. A red Vauxhall Corsa is awaited. A car engine signals the possible arrival of the prey.

A car pulls up outside the house. A man sits in the driving seat, waiting, then as he gets out the assassin has a clear shot. With only four bullets every one must count.The first shot hits the victims head. Blood spatters over the car and the victim falls against it, then slithers to the floor leaving a red streak down the passenger door.

Another car can be heard approaching. The killer panics but holds position on the hill. As the second vehicle pulls up, the driver sees the body and runs over to check for signs of life. Panicing, he stands up and fumbles for his mobile phone. A second shot takes him down. He falls against the red car as blood from the first victim puddles on the pavement.

There are footsteps behind the killer who rolls and pulls a handgun. Shots are fired blindly in the direction of the noise. It was just a deer. She giggles in relief and walks back to her car. Changing her clothes and stowing the firearms, she closes the boot and walks back to where the bodies lie motionless. She tells herself they were three good shots; her job is done and she has venison for dinner.

Thirty minutes later and the boss calls with her next assignment. Clair Hewart, gang name 'Snake', part of the Poison Gang out of Sheffield. She will be driving a battered Honda Accord, silver, registration T120 WDV. Apparently she robbed a fellow gang member then ran over the boss's cat leaving the scene.
"Your job is to kill 'Snake'. I don't care how you do it. But don't kill anymore innocent people, please."

Louise goes to her garage and picks out a hand gun and a scoped rifle from her hidden arsenal. Locked and loaded she heads for Snake's home in the valley. Snake is out during the day working in a hardware store. With an hour until sunset Louise leaves the rifle in the car and pockets the handgun. Just in case Snake comes home early. She walks the area, looking for a good sniper spot. There is a stand of trees on high ground, tall grass leading down to the stream by the side of the road.

Louise smiles to herself; good spot. She grabs the rifle from her car and waits with her back covered by the trees, the long grass hiding her. She checks her rifle and fixes the sight. Listening, she hears a car approaching. Snake pulls up in the battered Honda, switches off the engine then gets out. She seems to be waiting for something. That something is a bullet to the head.

As the blood spatters the gunshot echoes through the valley and Snake lays motionless in a pool of blood. Slinging her rifle Louise checks the body then strolls off down river to her parked car. "Assignment completed," she reports in. "OK, go home and get some sleep; you've earned it."

It's ten the next morning when the boss rings with the next assignment. Kayleigh Friend, gang name 'Foxy', out of Torquay. Five Six, slim build, short black hair. Drives Green Ford Focus, W857 WFR. Ran off with the boss's woman. This ones rural. Louise wants to have some fun with this one. The target's house is on the edge of a village. The area is deserted. Louise checks out the place; nobody home.

She booby traps the front door; twenty thousand volts rigged to the handle. Louise waits in her car opposite. At nine in the evening Foxy returns home. As he grabs the door handle he is thrown backwards and is impaled on the rusty gate. Assignment Completed. But her day is not done. The boss has another assignment.

Mike Hard, Five Nine, slim build, drives a blue Rover, M15 KALT. Guy stole the wrong motor. This one had drug money. Louise has a long drive to another rural location. Sniper time. At eight on a cold frosty morning she sets up on raised ground overlooking the cottage. The front door opens and she takes aim. But then she hears a phone ringing and sees her target disappear inside the house.

When he comes back out he hesitates, hearing a noise. Then a sheep walks out from behind a bush. He takes another step then bang; his head explodes. Louise retrieves the keys and drives off in the stolen car. She takes it to a lockup belonging to the car's owner. Hiding the keys in the wheel arch she walks home.
"Assignment completed and you owe me a ride. I had to leave mine."

© Copyright 2014 AmericanoCapacino (jccook at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969945-The-Assassin