*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971094-Once-upon-a-forgotten-time
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1971094
The pain of a forgotten birthday - at any age.
For a popular local grocery store, this place was less than busy. Even in his nondescript jogging shorts and matching gray t-shirt and white flip-flops, he stood out the thin crowd. He took his ease moving through the aisles passing a mid-30's woman sporting three unruly children. Only pausing to help a wheelchair bound veteran or catch-up on current events and gossip with the outgoing, friendly food sampling lady. For him, the seemingly random paces through the store were both his exercise and social life – brief as each were. His intimate knowledge of the store allowed him to move about quickly or meander about in a loosely casual manner.

His feet easily glided over the highly polished floor yet, slowed as he approached the greeting card section. Unexpectedly, he felt a lump in his throat – which could have been his heart. From the windows of the soul, a drop of water appeared. He felt the inner torrent surging forth as he stopped at the section that would have been for him. A large tear tracing down his middle aged face.

One card read: β€œA long long time ago...”

β€œYou were born!” followed by the Star Wars theme song.

A tear large tear slashed a line down his face and crashed upon the floor.

He pressed the card back into its holder but held onto it briefly. With semi-clouded vision, he reached for another card β€œ...Wishing you a little magic on your Special Birthday!”

A small puddle formed at his feet. He used to get cards like this. But the cards turned to phone calls from close friends and estranged family and over the years - faded.

He wiped his face.

A card with a very ugly dog bore the caption β€œFor someone special...” He didn't bother picking it up.

Once upon a time...

A star pinata exploded with candy, cardboard shards and paper...

Sing songs and birthday wishes...

A teenager catching a set of keys to a vintage Dodge Dart...

First legal drink in a bar...

...Recollections and fond memories followed.

Taking a breath, he forced a smile, turned his cart down another aisle while whispering to himself a birthday that seemed anything but happy.
© Copyright 2014 Neptunus (tburbridge at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971094-Once-upon-a-forgotten-time