*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971244-12-Days-Later
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1971244
Flash fiction story about a girl contemplating a life-changing decision.
“You don't know what you're doing”, she said casually as if this were a small matter, like a do-it-yourself home improvement project. “Trust me Jen, you don't want to get involved in this kind of thing. Do you know what it would do to your social life? Completely non-existent from here on out.”

Jen looked away and sighed. She fiddled with her straw, and looked around the room, contemplating the generic stock art covering the walls of the coffee house. She contemplated her definition of friendship, and the way it was changing over the course of the conversation. Lisa had always been her best friend, but she was making the most important decision of her life out to be a trivial matter on par with which class to take, or which party to attend. “You're not taking this seriously! I'm asking for serious advice here. Could you please just give me something I can work with?”

Lisa rolled her eyes. “You really think I'm not taking this seriously? You're right, this decision could change the course of your life. Right now, your life revolves around your social schedule. Therefore, the social implications of this decision are important to consider, not to mention the implications for your wardrobe.”

Jen frowned. “It just seems trivial from this perspective. I have more important things to worry about now.”

A silence descended over the girls, the gravity of the situation exerting considerable force on the atmosphere of the conversation. Lisa finally broke the silence, “Look Jen, I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Just take care of it.”

Jen shook her head, tears in her eyes. “I can't think like that anymore. I'm responsible for another person now. I'm keeping him.”
© Copyright 2014 wordsmith925 (wordsmith925 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971244-12-Days-Later