*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971252-Entanglements
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Sci-fi · #1971252
When Mark's twin sister shows up, he is the only one who remembers she died.
Anyone who has a brother or sister can tell you that there exists a bond that links all siblings, yet it's difficult to understand or put into words. It isn't simply the bond of nature, of growing up in the same environment, although that does develop a sense of camaraderie. Psychological studies have shown that identical twins, separated at birth and raised apart still share many of the same characteristics through adulthood. They have the same jobs, marry the same spouses, enjoy the same hobbies. They live parallel lives, often feeling as though a piece of themselves is missing. It is almost as though they can feel the other twin through space - particle entanglement on a massive scale. Mark and Laura McPherson were no exception to the rule. In fact, the twins had always been close - remarkably close. Doctors weren't able to discern the presence of twins right away, due to the fact that their hearts beat in synchronicity. It wasn't until later sonograms when distinctive features could be made out that it was evident that there were two children in the womb, and they always appeared on the ultrasound machine huddled together and holding hands.



They were born on July 25. It was a torrid day, the hottest day of the year. There was a stillness, as there very often is on the hottest days. Julie McPherson lay stretched on a soft cotton hammock that hung from the porch of the small suburban home she shared with her husband Ben. She had a small fan, which she waved lazily in front of her face, occasionally pausing to sip the ice tea precariously perched on her swollen belly. The heat rippled and shimmered in the air, repressing and suffocating. It was a heat the sucked the energy and vitality from all but a few young children joyfully frolicking in their pools and sprinklers. She shifted in the hammock, trying to get comfortable. She'd been uncomfortable all morning. Her lower back ached, and it was beginning to get worse. The pain was beginning to radiate through her abdomen. Suddenly, she felt a cramping deep within her belly. She jerked, spilling her ice tea. It felt like a small contraction, but she'd been dealing with Braxton Hicks contractions the whole weekend. No changes, no need to worry. "Ah shit," she muttered. "Ben! Can you bring me some paper towels? I spilled the ice tea!" She pushed herself up onto her elbows to asses the extent of the mess, but her massive belly blocked her view. Ben appeared in the doorway with a roll of paper towels. "You think you'd be used to that belly by now, you've had it long enough," he teased, "but I see you're still knocking things over!"

"Hmph. Just get out here and help me up so I can clean this mess and get out of these wet clothes."

Ben stepped out onto the porch. As he surveyed the mess, an expression of concern wrinkled his brow.

"How are you feeling hon?" he questioned worriedly.

"Not great. Why? You sound worried."

"Well...there's an awful lot of liquid here. I think there's more than iced tea on the ground. I think your water might have broken!"

"Help me up, and let me have a look!"

No sooner had she gotten the words out than she was wracked by a contraction. There was a cramping like last time, but much more intense, as if someone had gotten a hold of her guts and was squeezing with all their might. She fell back onto the hammock, clutching at the fabric and trying not to squirm so she didn't rock herself out. Ben rushed over, grabbing and steadying the hammock. She grabbed his arm, gritting her teeth against the pain and discomfort surging through her lower abdomen. Slowly, the pain began to ebb. Ben helped her to a sitting position, and she sat panting, regaining her breath. "That didn't look like a Braxton Hicks contraction. I think it may be time for us to head to the hospital," said Ben.

"No, that was my first real contraction. I don't want to rush to the hospital and spend hours in an unfamiliar room. This is probably very early labor, I'm sure we've got time". Ben looked unconvinced, but if these past nine months had taught him anything, it was that when it came to her body, Julie knew best. Her instinct and intuition hadn't been wrong so far this pregnancy. She'd insisted that she was having twins nearly from the beginning, despite the patronizing of doctors who insisted it was far too early for her to tell. She was sure she was carrying a boy and a girl before the twenty week ultrasound proved her right once again. If she didn't think there was a need to rush, then there probably wasn't. Ben knew the best way to help her right now was to remain and calm and supportive. "Alright," he sighed. "Can I get you something at least? Maybe help you up so you can get changed?"

"That would be lovely. If my water did break, the idea of sitting around in my own fluids is less than appealing. On the plus side, I do feel a bit cooler." He reached down to help her up, and she was wracked by another contraction as she grabbed his hand. She pulled him down towards her. He stroked her hair, trying to sooth her, and reminded her to breath through the pain. When the contraction finally subsided, he gave her a stern look. "We're going now. For my peace of mind, please." The last contraction had been nearly excruciating, and Julie was no longer feeling argumentative. Ben eased Julie into the rocking chair next to the hammock, and darted inside to grab the bags that were already packed, waiting by the door. He emerged with a suitcase in each hand, and offered his elbow to Julie for support. Slowly, they made their way to the car.



The ride to the hospital was the worst trip of both their lives. Julie squirmed in her seat as the pressure built up in her pelvis, contractions squeezing her insides like a stress ball. Ben tried to drive quickly, but not quickly. Julie winced at each bump in the road, and Ben apologized. "Stop apologizing, just get me to the hospital please!" Julie grunted. Finally, they arrived at the hospital. Ben screeched to a stop in front of the sliding doors. Hardly the best parking job, but there would be plenty of time to deal with that later. Right now, the love of his life was in pain, whimpering and squirming with discomfort as the contractions came closer and closer. By now the pressure in her pelvis was nearly unbearable. She knew she needed to start pushing, and soon. The babies were coming, and she didn't have long By his rough estimate, they were now no more than a minute apart. He led her inside, where she was quickly escorted to a small private room. A quick examination showed that she was ready to begin pushing, and she did so gratefully. Nearly an hour passed, but each push brought some measure of relief to the enormous pressure built up inside her. She was breathless and exhausted, but elated. Her babies would be here soon. After months of patiently waiting, carrying them inside, slowly nurturing them, they would be here soon. She could hold them, she could kiss them. She could count their tiny fingers and toes. This thought spurred her on, and she continued to push, summoning strength from reserves she didn't know she had. She looked up at Ben, her face soaked with sweat. "You're doing such a great job honey. I know you're tired, but keep going, you're almost there." She took a deep breath, and pushed one last time. Immense relief flooded her body as her first child left the womb, emerging into the world sticky and squirming. "It's our boy!" shouted Ben, and the doctor passed him to Julie to hold for the very first time.



As she took her son into her arms for the first time, she felt a surging of emotion like she'd never experienced before. It crashed over her all at once, a warmth and joy that could only be described as a glow. Of course she'd felt love before, but never like this. As she gazed at her baby, she felt that love of him would consume her entire being. It wasn't the soft and sweet brand of motherly love often seen in gift card commercials. It was fierce and primal, the ancient need to preserve our young that has burned hot within mothers for many millennia, that trait which has helped to make us a successful species. She knew without a doubt that she would stop at nothing to protect this little person that she had created. And such an incredible idea, that. She marveled at his tiny fingers and toes, the cherry red mouth opened in a minuscule yawn. "I created you," she whispered. "You were a zygote, the tiniest little being, and I sheltered you. I gave you the proteins and minerals and substances you needed. I grew you into a person. You will always carry a part of me because you were forged in my belly, and I love you. No matter what you do, no matter who you become, there will always be one certainty in your life and it will be that I love you." As she stroked his small fingers with her index finger, the doctor approached. "Have you been having any more contractions?" Julie paused a moment. "I suppose I have been, but they've been mild. I barely noticed" The doctor nodded. "I'm a bit concerned that baby two doesn't seem quite ready to come out yet. I'm going to do a quick exam, and see where we're at" Julie handed Mark over to Ben with mild reluctance. While she did want to spend more time fawning over her new baby, she was equally excited to meet her other baby. The doctor gently prodded Julie's belly, checking to make sure the baby was in a good position for birth, then checked the read out on the fetal monitor. "The position looks good, but I'm a bit worried about the heart rate we're seeing. It's a little bit low" A look of panic crossed Julie's face, and the doctor quickly reassured her. "It's probably fine, but we should get moving. I'm going to go ahead and break the water around the baby so we can get her out." Almost immediately, Julie began to feel contractions.

© Copyright 2014 wordsmith925 (wordsmith925 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1971252-Entanglements