*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1972254-Mirror-Mirror
Rated: E · Fiction · Women's · #1972254
Vanity is shallow without meaning
The room was steamy as she wraps herself in a towel , and walked to her bedroom. Nothing out of the ordinary. She baths herself in lotion. Towel drying her hair, as she looks in the mirror. She lays her towel on her lap and stares at herself as if she was a stranger.

Her face is different. She always saw herself as a vain person. Always primping and choosing her wardrobe carefully. Well put together all the time. Noticing the new wrinkles and dark circles, she rubs her face gently with her hand, trying to rub it away.
When did this happen, she thinks to herself. How did I not notice the change. The aging process is catching up to her and she doesn't do well with accepting it. Pulling out her expensive face creams and makeup,she tries desperately to cover the person she is becoming. She doesn't feel any older than ten years earlier but here it is , in her face. This stranger looking back at her, is not that young lady any longer. She looks older. No longer youthful. 

Going to her closet and picking out her clothes for the day, she tries to pick something to make herself look younger. Was life so busy that she didn't notice? She exercised on a daily basis, drank plenty of water. Time as taken over and she wonders what happened. Glancing at her dresser she starts picking up picture frames that held precious memories of her children. Everyone is smiling and it was family , her family. From changing diapers to waving them off to college. She wipes a tear from her eye. Not of sadness but all the moments that have slipped away from her.

Shaking it off she walks down to the kitchen and sees her husband sipping his coffee and reading the morning paper. She is soaking in his appearance. His hair is greying, his laugh lines are deeper , his posture is no longer straight. The person she loves so dearly is also aging beside her. Only the two of them in this empty house. Conversations of their plans for the day , and the kids , and their hopes of seeing them on the next holiday.

She walks into the living room and peaks at her wedding picture from so many years ago. She giggles at how young they were and their vows. The promise of growing old together and sharing a family. She gently places it back, and sighs.
Walking to the front door she takes a last glance in the mirror to assure herself she looks presentable.

Realizing, These lines and new features just didn't appear. They are lines of wisdom, growth, and a life time of making her dreams come true. She smiles to herself thinking how foolish am I to be ashamed of my looks. I will age gracefully and be proud of who I have become. These lines and dark circles are trophies of a life time of her legacy.
She grabs her purse, and proudly walks out the door.

LifeLessons
© Copyright 2014 ~Lifelessons~ (lifelessons at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1972254-Mirror-Mirror