*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1972464-A-cold-summers-day
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1972464
In a small town a man finds himself in the middle of a big problem when its snows.
One morning after the sun reached the horizon, and the rooster called out to every living thing that could hear it. as the cows started to graze in the fields as the wind blew the crops in every direction possible. one snowflake fell to the ground and another until the entirety of the farm was covered in snow and ice. Strange as it may be for it to snow on such a lovely morning, only the problem was it happened in the middle of summer. August to precise, but on this hot morning ice began to form and it was as if it was winter. So now begins our story where a young man sleeps away the day, for what is normal has now changed its temperature.
chapter one Ice.
John Tripp woke up to his farm house being as cold as the fridge in the kitchen. "What?" he asked himself out loud. he didn't understand why it was cold as ice in his room. "hmm let me see what the weather is like". He waked in bare feet to the window of his small bedroom. Opening the blinds he stepped backwards in surprise and tripped on the throw rug underneath the bed. falling safely onto his bed he jumped up."Dad. you may want to see this" he yelled. No answer, "Ok I guess I'll have to walk to your room open the door a say- oh you're up" he said "John did you see what's outside?" asked his father. he did see it. The ice and the snow and almost killed himself in the process. "yeah dad I saw it" he said rubbing the back of his neck. he walked over to the TV that sits on the dresser and turned it on." So theres some odd things happening here eh bob?" said the news anchor. bob channel 5's weather man was known for notoriously spreading mayhem around the small town of burg. though most people didn't believe his outrageous attempts reporting the weather this time however maybe they will. "it looks like an entire part of the eastern states have been enveloped in as storm of some sort" said bob. "dad do you think were in danger here?" said john. his father looked at him sideways as if to say danger? " mean here at home, its freezing in here" he said he looked back to the TV. "reports show that this storm is a simple cold front brought down by the polar ice caps" said bob. John couldn't stand to watch such garbage. He let out a big sigh and said "I'm gonna go and investigate". he got up to walk away when his father called to him. "john if must, but stay outta trouble" he scolded. John took another step forward. "not to worry dad I got this just stay in bed and get better" he said. he walked away without another word.
walking out the front door of the farmhouse he strolled down the walkway which had already froze over. though he had no idea what to do next he got in his truck and closed the door. Putting the key in the ignition to turn the truck on and heat the engine he turned the key. The truck had trouble starting at first but it finally got started. "there you go good truck, now where to" he said. he put the truck in gear and pulled out of the drive way making sure not to hit the mailbox coming out. Driving down the old snow covered country road he saw something that maybe a bad thing for the cows grazing. He pulled over to the side of the road to check it out. what he could see he didn't like. Whole entre cows were frozen solid as if they were ice cubes "wow talk about a milkshake" he said it wasn't cold enough to freeze a 600 pound cow just yet and it was really weird for that to happen now. "what the heck is going on here?"
© Copyright 2014 Zander Alexander (zander.alex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1972464-A-cold-summers-day