*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973546-What-Time-is-it
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1973546
flash fiction contest
The alluring aroma of rich hazelnut filled my senses as I gently inhaled the pleasant scent of my coffee. Hazelnut reminded me of sleeping in fur next a gentle fire. Sleeping, that’s what I should be doing right now! I looked out my kitchen window. The sky had barely faded to deep blue.
Yet here I was, sitting at the kitchen table at 5:38 in the morning. The reason for this absurd step out of character was obvious. I had a guest. I heard a slight scuffle of someone’s boot as two shadows detached themselves from where they had been hiding. I waited for them to close the distance.
Three steps…
two steps…at two, I leisurely reached for the pepper shaker on the table and threw it. There was a sound thud and one of the ambushers crashed to the floor, sneezing before he collapsed. My other guest froze in the middle of raising the butt of his dagger over the back of my head.
“I don’t suppose you know what time it is?” I asked coolly.
“You were supposed to be sleeping!” The ambusher muttered.
I started to sip my coffee, pausing in irritation when my guest hesitantly sat down across from me.
“Do you know why we’re here?”
I don’t care. My ambusher frowned, or at least I think he did. They were both clad in black clothes. I would have laughed if I wasn’t so moody. They resembled ninjas.
Don’t you want to know why-
I put my hand up, interrupting him.
"Don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" I muttered. Before anything else happened, I took my first sip, relishing the rich taste. Even if I could still see the faintly faded moon outside, Coffee time was still coffee time.
© Copyright 2014 Lazereth (lazereth88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973546-What-Time-is-it