*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974084-Is-it-Worth-it
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1974084
Three college students go to a party, and learn the consequences of drinking.
“Wake up!” I screamed as Matt woke up.
“What the heck man.” I exclaimed
“When did you get to bed last night?” I asked Matt
“What time is it?” Matt said ignoring my entire question
I didn’t answer him, I just pointed toward his alarm clock. I never saw anyone get out of bed that fast before, as Matt jolted to his feet and told me he’d be back than he jumped into the shower. While Matt was showering I was looking around his room. It was the kind of room you expect a nineteen year old college student who hasn’t really grown up to have, Call of Duty video games, the newest Grand Theft Auto not to mention the newest game console, a Playstation 4. As I was looking around I noticed a pillow completely misplaced in his repulsive room, I lifted up the pillow as my nose did all the explaining for me. Disgusting I said as under the pillow was a spoiled carton of milk. I was just about to get myself out of that treacherous room of his when Matt burst through the door exclaiming that he was done with his shower and ready to go. I grabbed my skateboard and Matt grabbed his. We were skating down Fairfax and we stopped at a certain store. Supreme was the name, It’s a store with very expensive clothing. Matt and I as the store clerk greeted me.
“Hey Walter!” I looked at him and lifted my head up in an action saying. “What’s up?” I finally had the money for what I wanted, as well as Matt. I bought a box logo hoodie from the store, and Matt bought a deck that said ‘Supreme’ on it. We exited the store and went back to skating. We skated all the way to Jeremy’s apartment out in Los Altos. It took about an hour but it was fun. When we got to Jeremy’s it was around six pm and we were all tired out from skating. Matt and I knocked on Jeremy’s door making it clear that we were there.
Jeremy opened up the door saying “I thought you guys got busted by the cops or something. We shook our heads and he let us in. I walked through the door and put my bag down with some clothes in it and I took my shoes off. I turned around to Matt opening his bag and who could have guessed it, he was bringing three beers out of his bag. I thought to myself drinking doesn’t really solve anything but hey, I’m with my friends let’s go with it. The rest of the night we downed a couple beer’s watching some pirated movies off of the internet.
“Wake up dude, wake up!” Matt yelled at me. I opened my eyes and the sun hit my eyes burning them terribly.
“Screw you Jeremy, close the blinds.”
“No, wake up right now.” I listened to him and got out of bed, it was very hard for me considering I couldn’t see because my eyes were on fire. I walked my way to Jeremy’s shower and got undressed. I got in the shower and soaped myself and after I washed the soap off my body I put shampoo in my hair and then rubbed it in. After that I washed all the shampoo out of my hair and got out of the shower, it was terribly cold but I got a towel on and got dry. I put my clothes on. Nike elite socks went on first, then Jordan shoes, then cargo shorts, and finally my supreme box logo hoodie. I walked out the door and found Matt and Jeremy staring at me. Matt was wearing something almost identical to me. Matt was wearing Jordan shoes, Nike elite socks, cargo shorts, a drawstring backpack on his back, and a huf hoodie. Jeremy on the other hand was wearing Nike shoes, Dark blue jeans and a Supreme hoodie. We grabbed our skateboards and got in Jeremy’s car.
Jeremy was driving obviously and Matt and I both said “Where are you taking us dude?”
Matt asked, as I basically repeated what Matt said by saying “Yeah dude where are you taking us?”
Jeremy responding back said “Don’t worry about it we’re almost there. “
Matt nodded his head to Jeremy, and went to his backpack and opened it. He brought out a CD it was Wolf by a fairly popular artist named “Tyler, The Creator”; he popped in the CD and changed it to track two. Track two was one of Matt’s favorite songs on the album, as well as all of us so we listened to it and the whole album as well.
“Here we are!” Jeremy said. We arrived at the skate park around twelve pm, it was really early. We were all skating for around thirty minutes; the skate park had been abandoned since then because there was no one insight. After about thirty minutes someone actually showed up. He was light skinned person, he was black but he didn’t have that dark of skin. We watched him skate and then we came up to him. We found out his name was Leroy and he was nineteen, he had just got into Stanford for graphics design, and when he has time he comes to the skate park when he has time to skate. We all chatted for a bit because Leroy was a pretty cool guy. After about twenty minutes Matt told us he’d be right back as he went to the car. After about five minutes Matt came back and we all went to skating for about ten more minutes, then Leroy had to leave so we said goodbye to him as he drove away.
Jeremy then said “Alright guys, I think we should be going soon because you know we got that party tonight.”
I responded back to him saying “Yeah actually I think we should be going.”
Matt then responded saying “No guys wait, I got something coming”. Jeremy and I both asked Matt what he was talking about
Then Matt said “Just wait.”
So we waited awhile and there he was. A tall man around 5’8, Caucasian, had a beard, was wearing a hood over his head, and a backpack on his back.
He came up to Matt and said “Yo.”
Matt responded backing saying “Yo, what up Mike, got the stuff?”
Mike responded saying “All here in this backpack” Matt handed Mike fifty dollars out of his wallet, Mike then handed over the backpack to Matt and then Mike said “Peace” and went on his merry way.
Jeremy and I stared at Matt as Matt said “Chill guys, we’re about to get high as ever tonight.” as Matt pulled out a joint and started lighting it.
When we left the skate park it was around 3 pm. We all went back to Jeremy’s place and got ready. I was wearing the same, as well as Matt was too with his dang backpack. Jeremy changed his shirt, he put his supreme hoodie on and over it he put a 49ers jersey, it was number 7 Colin Kaepernick, a person Jeremy would never shut up about. I sprayed some Old Spice spray on me, Matt sprayed some Playboy spray on him and, Jeremy sprayed some Axe on himself. We we’re all ready to go to this party tonight.
Jeremy looked at Matt and said “I didn’t know Hugh Hefner was in the room, jeez you smell good man.”
Matt replying to Jeremy said “Thanks, It’s the one dollar Playboy spray you bought me for my birthday, jerk.” Jeremy and I both laughed over that one, and then abruptly out of nowhere Matt turned on the TV and started watching Beavis and Butt-head which was Matt’s favorite show.
I then butted in and turned off the TV and said “Come on, Butt-head we got a party to attend to.”
Matt responded with his best Butt-head voice and said “Shut up Beavis.”
After that we all went into Jeremy’s car. This time I was driving because Jeremy was too lazy too. I turned on the GPS and got the coordinates to the house.
While I was driving I heard Jeremy say “So what you got in that backpack Matt? You know, other then joints”
Matt said with a giggle “You know me man, I got it all.”
Jeremy said “Like what?”
Matt replied saying “Cigarettes, Weed, 12 pack and I’m not talking about my abs.”
Sarcastically Jeremy and I both said “You’re hysterical dude.”
Taking me seriously Matt said “I know, don’t be jealous”
Jeremy busted out laughing to that one. Then out of nowhere a song rattled through the car saying “Swag yolo money swag.”
Matt then said “What the heck is that!”
Jeremy then answered saying “It’s my new ringtone, it’s a song by Lil Wayne, I just wanted to see if it was working.”
I then said “Well, It’s working so turn it off, cause we’re at the party.”
I looked around the outside of the house and I saw plenty of cars, I thought to myself one of these cars are bound to get stolen, probably even Jeremy’s car.
Before I could say anything there’s Matt screaming “The party has arrived!” bursting through the door of the house breaking it.
People then started screaming “Wahoo, Matt’s here!”
I then said to Jeremy “Looks like Matt is the life of this party.”
Jeremy nodded as we both walked through where the door was supposed to be. Rave music, flashing lights, woman everywhere I told myself, this is a place men dream of Walter, enjoy it. I lost where Jeremy went but it wasn’t hard to find Matt, he was dancing on top of a table with two women. I found myself where the drinks are and got down to it, drink after drink after drink, I was starting to get really messed up, after about 20 minutes of drinking Matt came up to me.
“Yo, Walter let’s play some Guitar Hero.” Matt said.
I nodded my head and we both went to the living room, bottles, and people were everywhere as Matt and I started up Guitar Hero. I told Matt you take drums, I’ll play guitar. Considering we were both hammered beyond belief it was amazing we even got the game started, but by the time the song started I was just mashing buttons and Matt was, well Matt didn’t even have the drum sticks he was hitting his face off the plastic cymbals.
People were screaming at us “Rock on Walter and Matt!”
I decided I needed to get out of there because I actually realized I was really hammered. I got myself up on my own two feet trying to walk up the stairs but I nearly fell getting up there, as soon as I did get up there I turned the corner and found Jeremy. Jeremy was out cold up stairs with 3 empty bottles of Jack Daniels beside him. I slapped Jeremy around 4 or 5 times as hard as I could and that did nothing, other than a giant red mark on his face. I then took my beer and poured it on him and he finally woke up. I asked him if he was alright as he tried talking but he was just mumbling about. I realized he wasn’t getting up, so I needed to get Matt. I went downstairs and found Matt around the same 2 women he was dancing with. It wasn’t hard to see that Matt was flirting terribly with the one girl, but she was hammered so she took the compliments anyway.
I turned Matt around and said “Dude, we got to get Jeremy to the car he’s upstairs sleeping out cold.”
Matt replied saying “Alright dude just give me a second.”
I then told Matt “No dude, right now!”
Matt turned around to the two girls he was talking to and said “I’ll be right back ladies.”
We then went up stairs and found Jeremy laying there.
Matt then told me “What happened to him?”
I sarcastically said “I don’t know maybe the three Jack Daniel bottles around him did something.”
Matt laughed at that joke. I grabbed Jeremy by his legs and Matt grabbed him by his arm. We brought him down the stairs, out the door and then into Jeremy’s car.
Matt then said “What do we do about him.”
I said “We can go home and care for Jeremy, or we go back into the house and keep drinking, but that isn’t going to help us either because we’re already pretty hammered.”
Matt replied saying “A few more drinks can’t hurt us that much.”
I then told Matt “I guess dude.”
Matt and I then went back inside for a few more drinks. After about 30 minute of Matt and I hammering down drinks we finally got back to the car where Jeremy was. Matt put his big backpack beside Jeremy, although Jeremy was still out from all the Jack Daniels he had been drinking. I asked Matt if he wanted to drive and Matt said sure. I gave Matt the keys right as Jeremy awoken. Jeremy wasn’t that drunk but he had a pretty bad buzz, not caring at all, Matt gave Jeremy the keys so he could drive.
I then said “I call shotgun!”
After about 5 minutes of Jeremy driving we realized that something wasn’t right with him. Jeremy wasn’t driving us the right way, in fact we were completely lost and Jeremy was speeding.
I told Jeremy “Slow down dude! You’re going way to fast!”
Jeremy said “No I’m not”
He didn’t even finish his sentence because he was mumbling to himself.
Then Matt said “Dude slow the heck down!”
Jeremy didn’t reply this time. We were just about to go across a bridge as Matt and I both noticed we were going 100 mph.
Matt and I both screamed “Jeremy NO!” as we all went flying off the bridge.
I woke up in pain. The first thing I noticed was my leg. There was one pretty bad cut on my leg. It wasn’t that bad, but there were also many other cuts on my legs and arms which weren’t as bad, I was terribly disgusted in pain, but happy I was alive. Since I wasn’t bleeding that bad the first thing that came to me were my friends. I looked to my left and saw Jeremy. Jeremy was dead. Jeremy’s whole head was through the steering wheel. There were brains and blood on the steering wheel and It was a terrible sight to see. I cringed at the fact that my one of my best friends was dead, and I was there to see his death. I then unbuckled my seatbelt and moved myself about an inch to look around the seat and see Matt in the back. Fortunately Matt was still alive back there but there were large pieces of glass stuck in his leg, and his arm was cut open really badly too, Matt was bleeding rapidly fast.
“Matt are you alright man?” I said. I knew matt wasn’t going to make it.
Matt responded to me and said “Been better man”
I chuckled at this. Matt even knowing he was going to die still made the best of moments. It made me very sad knowing he was going to die too, but there was still a way I could get us out of here both alive.
“Matt do you have your phone on you?” I said
“No I must of left it at the party” Matt responded back, sounding sleepy.
“Matt don’t you die on me; I’m going to get us out of here.” I told him.
I also then remembered earlier Jeremy was messing around on his phone with his ringtone. I went into Jeremy’s pocket and there his phone was not many scratches on it from the wreck. I took his phone and went to use it. I called 911 and told them everything that happened and then they said they were on there way. I turned around to see Matt, his eyes were closed.
I jumped back to the backseat with Matt and said “Please don’t die on me man, don’t die on me!”
I tapped his body repeatedly saying “Don’t die on me Matt!”
I checked Matt’s pulse and he had died of bleeding out. After Matt died I felt water running down my face. I was crying. My best friends were dead all around me and I was there to see it all. I sat there trying not to look at their dead body’s considering I couldn’t get out of the car. I eventually stopped crying after about five minutes, than I thought about it again. All the memories of my friends and fun times we had together, me weeping over that and remembering all the fun times went by like a blur, but little did I know that I had wasted over 30 minutes weeping about them and the police were there to help me out of the vehicle and get me to safety. And here I am, about two years later writing this story. I’m twenty one now, and I’ve been sober since that exact night. I vowed to myself for my friends that I’d never touch a single drop of alcohol again and I’d never do any kind of drugs. I also am a teacher in helping people in Alcoholics Anonymous and I tell them my story and help them out with their addiction hoping they’ll never go the same route as Jeremy, Matt, and I.

© Copyright 2014 Joey Bonzo (jushtra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974084-Is-it-Worth-it