*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974196-Just-Hanging-Around-Talking
Rated: 13+ · Other · Young Adult · #1974196
No one knew who started it, but soon they were all discussing what scared them.
There they were, lying under the big oak tree in Linda's backyard staring up through its limbs. It started simply enough, well no one knew who started it, but soon they were all discussing what scared them. There was quite a bit of laughter, giggling and such until someone just plain out asked, “What are you afraid of?”

Harold started, “Werewolves.”

“Be real, there is no such thing as werewolves.” Countered Linda.

“Mummies?”

“Nope.”

“Vampires are real and I choose to be afraid of them.” Harold was determined, there had to be at least one movie monster that was real.

Alexander contributed, “The old deserted house on Elm. That place gives me nightmares.”

Silence.

“Belly flops.” Richard broke the quiet.

“What?”

“Yeah, I am always afraid that when I go off the high dive at the pool I am going to belly flop.”

“Aw, man the thought of that just hurts.” Harold held his stomach.

“I know.” it was Cathy’s turn “Any lunch from the cafeteria.”

“Ewwww. That hamburger thing with the black olives that looks like eyes from poor baby lambs.” Linda started to gag.

“Forgetting the music at your dance recital.” Shirley added.

“No. Dancing with your great aunt Sybil.”

“Your toothless great aunt Sybil.”

“Your toothless smelly great aunt Sybil.”

“Your toothless smelly great aunt Sybil who steps on your toes.”

“Your toothless smelly great aunt Sybil who steps on your toes and passes gas.”

“I don't have a great aunt Sybil.” Richard lamented.

It took awhile for the laughter to die down. Every time there was an extended silence someone else would just say Sybil and they would lose it all again. It was a good day, a fine day for a group of friends just hanging around talking.
© Copyright 2014 Duane Engelhardt (dmengel54 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974196-Just-Hanging-Around-Talking