*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974700-My-Worst-Battle
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1974700
The fight against my worst fear and obstacle. I never can defeat this fear.
The field of battle is always the same. It is the final level for the game. For this horrible endless war. Years pass as I try to get through this landscape. At first it seems like I can do it. The plans and strategies that I use work. Until I reach that one place. New monsters appear every time. More enemies to fall before my feet. The sweet smell I victory excites me.
On my strong war horse, I leap through the trenches, cross bridges and maneuver around the ragged path I take. The road tries to fool me. I make a left when I meant to take a right. Before I know it I am going backwards. Fear may rise but with my weapon of courage and strength I take it down whenever it appears. Not every bump in my road is a monster.
I sometimes have to scream out my heart to control the wind and mover mountains. The rivers and seas aid me by making me into a raging hurricane. I stomp my feet to hold my position and create earthquakes. Light comes my palm when the is nothing but darkness around me. Every day is an adventure for me. I grow stronger as time passes. The bloodlust monsters crumble to dust as I come near to them.
Nothing can stand in my way. Not as long as I have my pride, courage, strength and wisdom. The land starts to leave my site as I come near to the end of my journey. Joy and eagerness overwhelms my soul. This is the moment I have been waiting for. The road taught me many things. I learned how to be strong, to stand up for myself and make my existence known. Golden rays of light appear as I head toward it.
Warm, calming light; a beautiful sight to glance at. Taking my breath away I realize it disappeared. Almost within my grasp, it is gone. It was as if that wonderful light was never there to begin with. Sadness creeps from behind along with the darkness that swallows me. I struggle to free myself. To get out of the darkness. I wanted to see the light again. My chest aches as the familiar voice echoes in my head.
This is what prevents me from the end I long for. The happiness that I dreamed of for days. I was strong, I knew that but the voice says I am not. Finally I raise my sword as my body trembles with fear. After a series of slashed at the evil, it evades my attacks. The voice laughed at my struggle.
"Give up," the voice said to me. The pride I had slowly faded away from me. My sword crumbled like the many foes I faced. "You are nothing to anyone and yourself. A pitiful life that just happened to be born," the cold familiar voice whispered in my ear.
I did not want to fail, not this time. This voice can not control my life. Part of me agreed with it though. I argue with myself and collapse. The voice sighed, "To think that you could get rid of me. Such an ugly idiot you are. You should know by this time that I am always with you..."
I cried into my arm. The voice is right. It can never leave my side. I am too weak, and stupid to think that I could be happy and see that light. The sight of it left my memory. To start again would be pointless. A worthless creature like me just happened to be born. I think these thoughts until I cried out my heart and end up at the beginning of my journey. The voice is there as always as I face more enemies. It creates my fears and doubts. My worst enemy is in me and I can never defeat it.
© Copyright 2014 Clara Ragno (clara-ragno at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1974700-My-Worst-Battle