*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1975195-The-Blood-Champion
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1975195
an untypical heroine is faced with saving her family clan from an evil force.
         






Blood Champion






Sitting here in the dark surrounded by the acrid and rotting wet smell of moss. The wind was getting stronger as it echoed in the cave. I have time to recall what has brought me to this place.

That's right me, Slo'ane O' Neill, of the Black Stair Mountain clan. A plain woman of ancient means. Not the kind anyone would call a hero by any means. I stand five foot two inches with eyes the color of green slate, and carry more weight than I should. I look more like the Pillsbury dough girl than Xenia warrior princess. My hands show signs of Arthritis. My hair is gray. Yes that's right I am vain so I color it a light auburn to hide my age.

It appears to be my role in life to be the best friend who pines for the good looking guy who rather have the cheerleader because she is beautiful, wears a size two and has breasts that will never fall.

I'm not really complaining. I have had my share of love and the lessons I've learned will always stay with me. But I really wish someone else had been chosen to be the Champion or Curadh in the old language for the Clan O'Neill. In being chosen I have given up my mortality for immortality. There are fine white scars that make up three Celtic words that mean Strength, Faith, and Light etched down my spine. When I come near something or someone Dark They burn just like they did when the druid high priest branded them that night in the sacred oak grove just below this cave when I was a young orphan under Blackthorne, the supreme high Druid my protector. And I admit that I had a crush on this man.



Walking to the entrance I can see the valley and just beyond that the small town of Clonae`mor. It looked the same as it did when first called County Tyrone. It then came to fame as a royal clan under the name of O'Neill. Not much has changed and a smile creeps over my face. The sacred oak grove once was a wide circle like Stone Hedge and so green that it was always alive with birds and animals. It was there the druids held secret ceremonies and cast spells to protect the clan. Stars seem to be shining on the few branches of the Oak that poked out as thou reaching for them. Shaking my head I remember very little before I came here as Blackthorne's ward all those hundreds of years ago.



The new Blood Champion




It was the spring solstice moon and the Clan had come to the Grove for the Mass and Celebration. It was lit with torches that seemed to burn so bright as to cast their shadows as thought there were alive. In the clearing a bonfire that had flames as tall as the biggest Oak that crackled and danced. Flames seemed to reach up as the Moon reached the center of the grove. The clans men gathered around the fire and the women danced and threw some of last year's seeds for the New Year's harvest in to the fire. After the Druids finished honoring the Gods of the harvest the children of the clan were beckoned to sit around the bonfire heads bowed. They wiggled in place nervously. Blackthorne was going to choose the new Champion for the Clan that would care for their safety. That would mean they must give up their family and friends, vow to stand steadfast and revoke their mortality until it was time for a new sentry. Then their spirits would transition to the spirit realm. The old champion, Colin laid in a litter as he could not walk.

I was standing next to Auntie Caylee. She was my nurse and a high ranking Wicca. I leaned into her robes they were soft and well-worn over the years and always smelled of Lavender and apples. Caylee was older than time, She would say as I brushed her long Red hair. I felt safe with her.

Then He came out of the dark. He was the handsomest man I had ever seen. With hair peppered with gray flowing around his shoulders. A mustache and close shaven beard that made him look dangerous. There was a small scar across his check that ended at his upper lip. He was not tall but the power that flowed from him made him seem ten feet tall. I could not take my eyes off him. Taking his short knife from his waist he began to move his hands above the heads of the children. As he came around to where I was. Blackthorne looked up at me and indicated that I was to join the circle. I purposely walked as far away to the other side as I could. He continued until he came round to me. There the knife began to vibrate. I could hear it. It was so loud that I had to cover my ears. Facing me he put his hand under my chin and looked into my eyes. He seemed sad yet happy. Following the rise of his hand I stood up.

"Here is your Champion!" He called deep from his chest.

The remaining children ran back to their families and seemed relieved. The Chieftain Walked over to the Druid. He was a tall barrel chested man. His flaming red hair hung wildly around his face and shoulders. You could see scars from the battles he had been in on his arms and legs. He had piercing blue eyes that were kind and comforting.

"Blackthorne, she is not of the Clan," He whispered.

"Truly she is. Your sister's only child stands before you".



Conri` the first looked down into the face of this girl and saw Maebd his only sister who was married off to a Welsh Laird across the sea for a treaty. He had never heard from her since the day she was last seen waving goodbye from the deck of the ship. Her long dark hair hung sadly around her shoulders. Could this child be her's}



I remember looking up into this larger than life man's face who many called "Bear". There peeking out of the full eyebrows and wild curly untamed hair were eyes that dimly seemed familiar. Yet all that I could remember was surrounded in a thick dark fog. He picked me up, held me to his breast and with tears in his eyes he called me family. The moon crowned the oaks. After the clan blessing and the crowd wandered back to their homes I stood before the altar. I removed my blouse and laid face down on the cold granite. Auntie Caylee held my arms and a priest held my legs. Blackthorne began to chant a blessing and prayer. He spoke of the marks and told that they would resonate whenever I came near evil no matter where I go. I could smell the hot metal that had turn glowing red as it came close. It had been heating up in the embers of the bonfire. Blackthorne took it from the priest and held it to my spine. I don't remember if I screamed but when I opened my eyes I was in my bed and Auntie was soothing the burns. The smell of burnt flesh filled my senses. The Druids then carried the Colin's litter to a secret place deep in the Grove and cared for him until his last breathe left his body the following dawn.

Over those care free years I told my Uncle what I remember of mother and the life we lived under the cruelty of her husband. I know that She had been locked in the tower after he found out that mother was with a child, me. She was taken when special guests were expected then returned after. She had marks and cuts but never told where they came from. Once a week I was taken and lead on a leash to see the Laird. If I displeased him I was beaten. And it seemed I always displeased him. Then one day I ran after I fought back I must have been about twelve. I had taken an apple without his permission. Then he began to touch me in ways that scared me. So I bit him then stepped on his hand and kicked him between his legs. I jumped out the window and ran for my life. I could hear him yelling for my head.

I kept running until I fell. Crawling under a fallen tree I cried until I was spent. Suddenly I heard a horse.

"Oh no." I thought He has found me. I got ready to jump at the horse to scare it. A hand reached down and grabbed the leash. I tried to run.

"Who is so cruel as to treat you like a dog?" His voice was warm and deep and I told him of my life.

"Was your mother's name Maebd of the O'Neills?"

I nodded. He wrapped me in his robes that were so warm from him and they smelled musky. We rode for two days and Arrived at the coven where I fell under the care of Auntie Caylee.





Lesson learned.




A sparrow began to sing her morning tune and I knew it was time to leave. Hugging the side of the mountain I walked carefully down the meager steps that had been carved out of the rock. They were there long before the world as I knew it. Wrapping my sweater tighter I walked back to the Clonae`mor I have called home now for over 3o years. The snow had come early and sparkled with the sunlight. The sun gave off a glow like spun gold. My feet were getting cold. I hadn't worn boots and the wet from the snow was seeping in my shoes. Sneakers were not the right choice.

Putting the key in the backdoor of the town's local tavern called "Curadh, The Champion. Brushing back some hair that had fallen in my eyes I stumbled up the stairs. By the time I made the last step I was so tired I could have sat down and slept there. But I pushed open the door to my apartment. Tossed my dirty clothes on the floor near the dirty clothes basket. Turned the heat up a bit and headed to take a shower.

I let the hot water pour over me from head to toe. I loved the smell of the soap that I bought in the gift store down the street. So much like the smell of Auntie Caylee's robes. Just like back then it calmed me. Climbing out and facing the mirror that hung on the back of the door I had a hard look at myself. A wet chubby matronly looking woman looked back at me. I blinked.

"This can't be real. How do I expect to fight this Dark Lord and win?" reaching down I squeezed the small roll of fat that laid below my belly button. Grabbing the clean towel from the hook I opened the door and headed to the bed hidden in the alcove. I could hear the stirrings down in the Tavern. Pulled the XL Chicago Bears workout shirt I had received as a gift from a friend over my head and pulled back the covers. I hoped that I wouldn't dream about anything. Crawled in and fell asleep. But a sleep without dreams was not what I had.



"Slo`ane." I heard a voice calling off in the distance. I was sixteen again and weaving my way through the maze of passages near the Oak Grove. Until I arrived at the center where the learning benches were arranged. The sun had set and the last of the light was finally fading.

"Finally you are here." The hooded figure turned around and I saw that it was Blackthorne. He seemed a little annoyed. Sliding over to sit next to him he laughed at my poor attempt to apologize.

"You need to understand the role you are about to live." Opening the book he had been holding and leafed through until he found what he wanted. Handing me the book I began to read.

The first chieftain of the O'Neill clan had twin sons that loved the same woman. Their names were Koyne and Declan. Koyne was tall Blond and built for the life of a warrior. Declan was tall but dark with curly wild brown hair and green eyes, He could out hunt any man. Strong and agile Declan could carry a five hundred pound boar all by himself. The object of their desire was Riya. A tall dark haired beauty with startling blue eyes and soft skin that smelled like roses. She was their equal in spirit and devotion.

From the time they could walk the three of them were inseparable. The Clan for years tried to guess which brother would win her hand. But Riya never treated one brother better than the other. Then the Twins turned eighteen. They spent that whole year trying to convince her father who should be her mate. If Koyne killed a Hart while hunting. Declan killed two Boars the next hunt. If one went to battle and was honored as a warrior who had killed many enemies the other would capture the Chieftain of the enemy clan the next battle. But in the end her father let her decide. She was strong willed and wise beyond her years. Her Mother was a Wiccan and had passed her talents to her daughter. Riya smelled each man and then she put her tongue on their skin to taste. They trembled as her wet hot tongue made circles on their stomachs. Then she began to circle each mumbling a Wiccan prayer. After what seemed eternity she knelt in front of Koyne. Declan roared with anger. He believed he was Riya's true mate. With that he turned his back on the clan. For three years the brothers and their followers fought. Destroying crops and driving away the game from the surrounding forests. The heartbreak of the broken bond killed their father and Koyne became the Chieftain. In the summer of the third year Riya gave birth to a boy child and for a time there was peace. But on the Winter Solstice. Instead of a time for rejoicing the brothers met in the valley for a final battle. The snow began to fall so hard that you could not see who was you're enemy or friend.

The fighting went on for days. So much blood seeped in to the ground and so many dead bodies, heads and limbs littered the land that once they both had called home. The white snow now ran red with the blood of fathers, sons, brothers, cousins and uncles. Koyne's men pushed Declan's followers up the Black Stair Mountain and into the Cave of the Black Void.



The brothers had become separated from their own. They faced each other in a clearing directly beneath the cave. As they came together the only sound you could here was the metal to metal and limb to limb sounds as they fought. With each attack the wounds they were inflicting oozed their life's blood. The ground steamed beneath their feet with the heat of their bodies as their sweat fell in rivulets down the tight muscled arms and legs. Their chests heaved with each ragged breathe. It seemed to go on forever. When it looked as if both would die Declan fell and Koyne stood over him holding this sword to this brother's throat. He had waited so long for him to make a mistake and he took that opportunity to force him to fall.




"Now Brother do you yield? "

"Yes but I ask for a final favor because of our blood bond. One you must not refuse as the Chieftain of our clan."

If Koyne had known what would be asked he would have run his blade through him.

"As your brother I will grant anything. But you must take my punishment in return." A smile came across Declan's face.

"I get Riya. That is my favor! You cannot refuse or you dishonor our father."

Koyne fell to his knees as he realized that Declan had used his bond as brother to trap him with his own words. The life left him.

He called for Peter, His captain and instructed him to bring Riya to him without the boy. Declan dragged himself to a stump and sat facing Koyne. His grin was so cruel and seemed to enjoy the pain he was inflicting on his twin. Finally here he had won.

Peter tried to sway Koyne from honoring his brother's words but he shook his head.

"It is the honor of our clan that I would be destroying if I do not fulfill his final request. Do as I say."

"You are so honor bound." Then he stood as Riya came into sight. Breaking free of Peter's hold Riya ran to Koyne. He could not look at her. She took his bloodied face in her hands and searched his eyes for answer. She brushed his stained and dirty hair from his closed eyes. But he could not say anything as the tears ran from his eyes. She searched his body for death bringing wounds and did not find any. To her he seemed so defeated. But why? He was the winner. A runner had told her so.

"HE GAVE YOU TO ME!" laughed Declan like a crazy man. She turned to him then back to the man she had shared her bed looking for him to deny it. Then Declan grabbed her ripping her dress and cruelly slung her over his shoulder then climbed up to the cave. His laughter echoed like a Hawk as it screamed.



"I have kept my word and now your punishment. The entrance to the inner cavern shall be sealed and you shall never be seen in the upper world for as long as The Clan survives." He collapsed and let out a wail that seemed to fill the valley with his pain.

For days Koyne's men kept the followers of Declan huddled deep in the cavern as others built a wall to entomb them. When it was almost done Koyne took the last stone and spoke. Riya stood facing the wall. Her hand trapped in her enemy's.

"I shall forever be ashamed for not keeping your love safe Riya. Your son shall know how brave you are." She turned away from him with a cry.

"There will always be someone to defend the Clan if you try to reenter this world. Declan. You are my brother and even with this betrayal I will love you."

With that he placed the last stone forever shutting his love in darkness with those who followed his brother. The bricklayer sealed the wall. As the darkness fell Declan voiced a curse.

"One day I shall be free of this stone tomb and bring my revenge on your blood Brother. Each time the earth hums under the cave there had better be a Blood Champion to fight. But I will never stop until there are none of us left."

Koyne sat and faced the wall placed his hands in the wet mortar and wept four days. Then the druids placed magical wards to protect the seal of the cavern. They did not know of the curse.

Koyne wasted away from shame and despair. He spent every season's turn kneeling in front of the wall calling for Riya. It was said that when the winter wind echoes in the glen you could hear Koyne crying.

Those trapped soon felt a strange vibration emanating from the large deep hole that smoked and hummed. Their bodies began transforming to black stone and became creatures of the Void. Declan would sit at the edge and seemed to be possessed as he would pledge his loyalty to an unseen force. Riya sat next to the wall. Only half of her transformed to black stone because of the magical wards. It was there she would wait until Koyne freed her. No matter how long.

"Do you here that noise?" I said as I turned to look back at the forest. Then turning back the hooded druid was gone.

"Hey Lil Mac You're needed in the Tavern. Wake up." It was Thomas and he had started to call me this just after I bought the Tavern. I sat up and scratched my head.

"Yeah. I'm up Thomas. Be down shortly."

"Hope so because the head of the clan is down stairs."



"Great." I thought. I knew the Winter Solstice was due in a week and all the old blood O'Neills that still lived were coming to the town for the hundred year ceremony.

Dear sweet Thomas. He was my first friend when I got off the train. Thomas is the high Druid for the clan and seemed to know that I was coming home. He was the one who helped me get to know my Clansmen. You could say that he became my new protector. Thomas has spent these thirty years teaching me the way of the sword like it was in the time of the first Battle against the Dark Lord. To say he is my closest friend would not be enough. He has been my partner in the Tavern since I have lived here and the keeper of the Champion's Cavern, which runs beneath my home and the town. And yet there has always been something familiar about him. He has shown me all that I should ever want to know. He knows so much about me yet I know next to nothing about him.

I finished dressing in favorite jeans and long dark blue cotton top that hid my belly. Trying to do something with the unruly mess I called my hair was a disaster. After about ten minutes I gave up then put on the only lip gloss I liked and went down stairs. I peeked around the door that led to the main hall. There sat himself, Brandon O'Neill and he seemed to be having a good time. On either side of the chair were Paul and Andrew the owners of the local Excavating Company. They also were Druid priests and good friends. Without them I would not have found a place with in the Clan.



"There she is. Slo`ane. Come meet the Chieftain." Thomas waved at me and I obeyed. But not without a queasy stomach. I waited for him to speak to show respect. Waiting my eyes checked him out. He was a tall man. His hair once was golden and must have fell well below his broad shoulders. But now is was just like peach fuzz and looked like a halo. His face was wide, round and burnt brown from a lifetime of hard work. The wrinkles made him look angry but his laugh told you that he was a goodhearted fellow. The cane that leaned against his knees told of an ailment that now slowed him down. As I looked him over He was looking me over as well.



"Ah. You be the Curadh. Nice to meet you. We shall talk tonight after I greet everyone. There are things only we need to speak of." With that he turned to the people clamoring for his attention.

"Well I was dismissed I see." As I spoke into Thomas's ear. Then headed back behind the bar to help Jenny my bartender fill pints and shots for those who were well on their way to being happily intoxicated. Thomas scoulded me because of the tone I just used. Ignoring him as he hovered I just shook my head and continued to pour, clean and wipe the spills of unsteady hands. This is going to be a very stressful week coming up. And I was not feeling the Love.











The Champion's Cavern


It took two hours to chase every last patron out and close the doors. While Jenny cleaned the bar I swept the hall and made sure that one was missed before I waved goodbye and locked the doors. I went upstairs to change my shirt. I needed to get the stink of the Ale and pipe tobacco off me. I sat on the bed for a minute then rolled on my back and threw a screaming, leg and arm flailing tantrum. Then headed down to the cavern.

The Cavern was naturally formed out of golden Irish Granite and Forest green Irish Marble over the centuries. The Druids over the years had polished the floor to a high gloss and smoothed the walls. Before electricity it had been lit by torches and required an apprentice priest to stay and replace the burnt out torches and clean the smoke off the walls. Now it was lit by hidden spotlights. Along one wall of the cavern were filled with plaques in remembrance of the fallen. On the other were the kilts of the two previous Champions. There on bronze plates were their names, dates of birth, the battle and their passing to the spirit realm was going to be interrogated and probably told I was a lousy choice. So I decided that no matter what I wasn't about to cry or throw a fit.

I needed to make Brandon understand that I was the choice and that meant that I would figure out a way to defeat the Dark Lord. So I reached for the doorknob. I sucked up my fear and put on a strong face and opened the door. Brandon and his captains were seated talking to Thomas. Paul and Andrew paced on the main floor of the cavern. They looked up when they heard my footsteps echo on the green marble floor.



"Here sit." and the Chieftain pointed to a chair that was empty between Thomas and Himself. I settled myself and waited for the cruel words I knew were coming. Instead there was a silence. I watched Brandon puff on his pipe. A hairy hand with a knife appeared at my throat. Without hesitation I shot my hand up in a fist and connected with his armpit. As his hand with the knife went numb I grabbed his head and with all my strength flipped him over me and he landed with a thump. I ran my fingers over my hair and straightened my blouse.

"But Canna fight?" and Brandon pointed to the other captain who was standing on the floor holding two swords. Paul and Andrew had moved Closer to Where Thomas and I sat. Thomas gave me his arm and we walked down the steps that had been carved out of the marble. He kissed the top of my head and left me facing the other captain who handed me the second sword. Then he squared off. He struck first and I barely got out of the way. For what seemed like hours we traded blows. He hit me more than I touched him. His cuts were more to embarrass than wound. My blood was getting sticky and I was tiring. I really wanted to end this. With a last burst of energy I attacked and watched for him to drop his left shoulder that I had seen him doing when he got ready to strike. Then just as I thought I had nothing left he dropped his shoulder. I used the flat of my sword and gave him such a whack to the side of his head that he fell to his knees. With my sword to his throat I asked.

"Do you give in?" I wheezed. He nodded. Suddenly we felt a strong buzzing ripple across the floor and thru the air.

"Oh! Crap." I whispered. The first sign that the wards had been broken. Then the bell that sat outside of the tavern to warn the Champion that evil was coming rang once and the doorbell at backdoor rang.

Paul's son who had been given the task of checking the wall in the cave appeared on the stairs. What he had to say made me fall to my knees. Too soon. I'm not ready.

"The wards have failed and a crack has appeared."

With a jerk of his cane Brandon and his men left the cavern leaving the three of us alone. Andrew brought a chair and helped me sit down. Then Paul, Andrew and Thomas walked away to talk.

Thomas helped me up to bed. He washed the cuts and gave me aspirin. My feet dangled off the edge of the bed as I waited for Thomas to speak.

"We need to step up your training. There things we can do."

"Really."

"You are very good but there are other things we can teach you. It's a good thing that we are in the 21st century and there are so many other forms of defense available. But we only have six days to do it."

"Well I hurt let's talk tomorrow." With that I slid into bed pulled the covers up and drifted off.

Thomas stood and looked down on her. He mumbled a prayer and kissed her cheek. How could he tell her He loved her? She was so certain that no one could love her the way she looked. She believed all she could be was a bridesmaid never a bride. Then he stretched out on the small couch and fell asleep.

I slept fitfully. I kept seeing me with my back to the void and The Dark Lord charging .I was dirty, sweaty and smeared with blood that dripped from wounds. It was like a very short movie that repeated over and over. There was a woman's voice that echoed telling me to send him into the void.

"To break the curse you must send him into the void. Then I can rejoin my true love and you will find yours." This voice kept repeating itself. It never left my mind.







I woke up to the smell of coffee. I love the smell but hate the taste. So I was not surprised that there was only one cup set out. I went to the kitchen and pour myself a glass of milk. Thomas was sitting looking out the window that faced the cave.

"You spent the night?"

"Yes. Just in case you needed something. You seemed to be having a nightmare."

I didn't tell him what I saw and heard and about the voice in my head. Instead I showered and dressed as carefully as I could. the cuts still hurt. When I came out Thomas had left so I headed down to the tavern to check inventory. I needed to do something normal for the time being. And still I could hear her voice. The smell of coffee was still in the air. I smiled and felt some comfort from the thought of Thomas. The day passed and no sign of the druids. The tables weren't as full as yesterday but they seemed to drink as much. We serve a wonderful Shepherd's Pie and many couples filled their empty bellies on the hot mutton and the creamy sauce smothered with mash potatoes done from scratch before going home. Then just as I got ready to close they walked in. I served up the last of the pie and soaked the dishes to wash tomorrow.









Training and Pain.




The ground was humming again as we entered the cavern. After it stopped I focused on the mats that were on the floor. Standing in the middle was Taka the Local DoJo master. He had been welcomed to our town with open arms. And Thomas, Peter, and Andrew were students along with many of the town. Thomas was sitting so I sat across the table and waited.

"Taka is a master of the ancient arts so I thought this would give you an edge. Take off your shoes and let's get to work." He vaulted the railing and waited for me.

For four disgustingly sweaty and embarrassing days I trained with only a few hours of sleep. It would begin with a bow to Taka. I can't tell you how many times I hit those mats. I had bruises on bruises and thought I was permanently numb from the arse down. It was the words that Taka would constantly repeat that finally opened up my mind to the hidden fear of what I must do.

"Your mind must be in rhythm with your spirit to become one in purpose. Fear does not control you. You control fear."

With each hour worked I began to feel more peaceful and calm. I began to match Taka move for move and soon I even began to anticipate where he would go and was there ahead of him. By the day before the high ceremony I was as good as the master. At least that's what they told me.

Taka bowed before as I had done every day as a sign of respect. Then he smiled and walked away. What he had taught me that touched my spirit was more important to me than the skills. The buzzing had increased and so had the crack in the wall. There were daily updates and visits by those who carried the "Old Blood". On the fifth day the elders gathered in the cavern.

" Slo`ane as the Chieftain of the O'Neill Clan I present to you as a show of our enteral loyalty this war kilt and scabbard. It has been blessed by the high druid of our Clan. We pledge our hearts and spirits to your bravery." He knelt and laid them at my feet. Thomas stepped forward and held the sword that each Champion before used to defeat the Dark Lord. Then he too knelt.

"To Our Fathers and Those who lived before us I pray and anoint these offerings. May the one that wears and wields this sword be protected and given the strength to defeat our enemy." He laid that on the kilt.

The High Priestess of the Wiccans stepped forward and gave me a shirt that had been sown with thread spun from her own hair and cloaked in a spell giving the thread strength beyond human.

After the men had left she led me to a spring that was only known by the Druids and Wiccans. I was amazed in thirty years I never knew it was here. She told me that the spring was the collection of tears from our Mother Earth and that she gave them to the Clan O'Neill to purify those who were given the task of protecting the honor of the clan. There I was cleansed of all worldly fears and doubts. The water was clear and cool. It felt like nothing I had felt before. As I submersed myself deep in the spring I could feel the Earth Mother. I felt she became one with me. What I felt next was even more amazing. I felt as If her spirit joined mine and would fight with me. It was then I knew I had to end this curse. I wanted to be the last Champion. Just defeating Him was not enough. This must be the final battle.



The Dark Lord




Declan Raged for days. He paced thru out the whole cave terrorizing Riya and anyone who came within reach. Declan never saw that his men were changing their voices became silent yet he only thought of himself. Then he began to realize the changes that were happening to his own body. The raw pain that crawled up his legs and the feeling of choking in his chest as it changed to pieces of black stone. His whole body became ice cold. He no longer walked as if he was a man but lumbered. He realized he was no longer alive. His eyes became two pits with hot coals. Looking around he could see those who followed him now stone no were longer alive. They stood where the transformation trapped had them. Against the wall he found Riya. Part of her was still human the rest was stone. She had been using a stone to record this horror and to keep hope alive in her soul. She had written tomes to Koyne and what they would do when they were reunited. Declan had tried to rub them out but she just kept working. He tried to make her stand.

"No this cannot be. You should be like me. I won you. You are mine. I command you to stand. Get up!"

"No Declan I would not if I could. This is your punishment for your envy. You did this to me now leave me to my misery." Turning her head to rest her cheek against the wall she began to wail. With fists clenched he walked away. As he passed one of his stone men he flung his arm out and shattered it in two. Leaving half standing and oozing black oily slime. It ran down the sides and puddled on the floor of the cave. Declan sat on the edge of the void. His stone feet dangled over the edge. He fell into a trance as a sulfur smelling smoke rose out of the void. He stared into the depth as if he could hear a voice.

Then one day the void stared to hum as it had twice before. It traveled across the floor and then the wall began to hum and there just above Riya's scratching's a tiny crack appeared. He knew soon there would be away to have his revenge. He walked over to the wall sat down facing the crack and waited. Twice The wall had been breached and twice he had been banished back to this darkness. He was not to be defeated again. He had hundreds of years of rage bottled up and he wanted to unleash it on the Clan. All he had to do was wait. Riya watched and prayed that this was the last time. Wanted to be free of this prison. It had taken so long to build the strength so that she could send her spirit to help the Blood Champion. She slipped into Sloa`ne's dreams and offered the answer but would the Champion understand. Riya only knew the old language and would the champion know what it meant.













Meeting of the minds




It's hard to concentrate when you are constantly hearing a melodic woman's voice speaking in the old language. But I knew that it had to Riya. She somehow had survived the punishment and was trying to help me end this.

"Sheoladh chuige isteach ar neamhni`" That's all I heard over and over. Then as I tossed some rotten meat into the trash bin it came to me. The Battle usually happened in the Grove but I needed to take it to the cave. Somehow Riya was telling me the way I can end this forever. I tried to remember the old words.

"Yes I understand Riya, I do. You will be free soon." I had remembered what it meant. Now she sang a song of freedom. I sure wish she would stop. I had to find a way to get to the cave before the crack was big enough for the Dark Lord to escape. But not alert Thomas of my plan. He would stop me if he could. Then Riya told me of the tradition that would keep the Druids in the Champion's cavern. Yes that would do. I'd have to be fast. So I ran upstairs to change, left a note for Thomas and Said a prayer to Earth Mother. I was half way up the steps before I herd Thomas calling my name so painfully. A tear slipped down my eyes but the kept going

"Stop Sloa`ne. Please." He knew what I was going to do. Fight on his turf. There he could not help me. I didn't look back as I walked inside.









I control the fear.


From the moment I entered I could smell the overwhelming odor of sulfur. It was almost oppressive and hard to breathe. The humming began again and as the crack widened I was able to push into the next chamber. There on my left I could make out the shape of a female statute. As I passed by I could hear her whisper in the same melodic voice that had haunted my mind for hours.

"Mo scaoileadh."

I knew it was Riya. A rumbling came from the back of the darkness. The remains of what was once Declan. He was huge and the stone he was now seemed illuminated by the glow from the Void. His eyes were fiery pits and he gave off the only light. For a second I wondered why no one had warned me of the way looked. He stopped and began to laugh at me.

"This is what they send? A child? A female at that. Is there no one who can at least put up a fight?"

"I am no child Dark Lord. And I am a match for even you."

"Brave words for someone about to die."

"I don't think so. But you may try."

"You are a spitfire I will say. I think I will have some fun with you. Then I will wipe the old blood of my clan off the face of the land."

Taking my Sword out of the scabbard I waited for his next move. I had to find where the void was so that I could get as close as possible.

"Well I am waiting." Trying to antagonize him. For a pile of rocks he moved pretty fast. I almost lost my right arm. He had drawn first blood.

I could hear Riya gasp. But I had no time to waste. I had to get closer to the void not the broken wall where he had driven me.

"So girl seems you were all talk" He laughed. Then stopped as I severed some stone from his left hip. It began to ooze black oily goo.

"You shall die screaming for that!" Declan began to swing carelessly. He cut a deep open wound across my belly. I could feel the blood run down my legs. I stumbled and had to roll on my side to avoid another dangerous blow. We swung at each other with deadly intent. With each stoke wounds were open. But they seemed to not effect this man of stone. So I called on the lessons Taka taught me about defense. He had said that I needed to keep my wits about me. He said that attack is like anger it clouds your mind. But Defense leaves your mind open. So I let him lead and I used his anger to control the direction to my final objection the edge of the Void. He backed me up against the wall. As he swung I lashed out with my right leg and almost knocked the sword out of his stony fingers. That stunned him but only for a moment. But that was enough for me. The cave was getting hot then cold and I felt like I was swimming. I needed to get ahold of myself. Now was not the time to break down. I kept hearing Riya telling me to send him into the Void. Just a few more steps and I would be close enough. We circled each other for what seemed an eternity. I really was no match for him but my oath of blood champion made me push on. Blows were traded and I managed to hand a few close to where his heart used to beat.

"I tire of you. You are like an annoying fly and it is time to swat you."

I ran and tumbled until I was right on the edge. He roared as I evaded his sword. I made it to the edge. Now I faced my fear. I might fall over with him. Could I this world before I confess my true feelings for Thomas?

"Sloa`one!!"

Thomas had somehow made it thru the crack and was being held by Riya's hands on his legs. His face betrayed his emotions and I nearly ended up with a blade in my shoulder. I almost lost my resolve as he called out again his voice cracking. I kicked out and threw the stone guy back a bit.

With my head over the pit I readied myself for my final act. I knew I probably would go over when I drove my sword into his chest with the Dark Lord impaled on my sword I rolled backward as forcefully as I could. At least that was my plan. I hoped I would still be able to grab the edge after I let go of the sword.

"Send him into the void" She cried as he charged me. So I did as she asked. The last thing before I set my sword was a voice that sounded like Blackthorne's.

"You are not to die here. You have a life to live. Thank you Daughter."

Declan Screamed with pain as the sword drove its self into the stone chest. As I rolled backward my legs came forward and lifted his hips off the cave ground. Because he was top heavy he flew over me and fell in to the gapping Maw of the void. My hands felt like they were glued to the hilt. Finally the weight of The Dark Lord pulled it free but it might have been too late. I grabbed at the edge frantically hoping that I had enough strength to pull myself up. And that Thomas would get to me before I lost my grip. Below me I could hear the sound of what lava might sound like as it rose. I could feel the heat and smell the stink.

A hand grabbed mine and pulled me up I sort of remember the sounds of the cave as it began to implode. Peter and Andrew met Thomas as he pushed me to the other side of the wall they pulled him out and the three carried me down the stairs as the side of the mountain melted like lava. I was laid on the snow. Those gathered watched as the last of the Cave was filled in never to be opened again. Thomas knelt beside me and cried into my hair. He alone carried me back to the tavern. That must have been difficult.



A new life


"The wounds are deep and infected with the sulfur. I don't know if I can heal her." The high priestess of the Wiccans talked as she cleaned and bandaged the cuts almost too many to count. Thomas sat next to my bed for fourteen days as my body lingered in a coma. He didn't eat or really sleep just held my hand. Once a day the priestess spoon fed him a small bowl of porridge. Then late one afternoon out of nowhere he began to speak.

"Sloa`ne I know you believe that you cannot be loved because of your looks. These thirty years I have seen so much beauty and love shine from you how could I not fall in love. I should have told you sooner but I thought you would believe I said it in pity. " Then he cried as he kissed her lips. A moan escaped as he touched them with his fingers.

"Sloa`ne. Please wake up"

But all I could muster was fluttering my eyes. But it happened more and more during the day. I wanted to share what I experienced while I was floating in between here and the spirit world. I hadn't heard what Thomas had confessed. Finally just as the moon began to wane I opened my eyes. My spirit had returned of its own free will. I guess there is more for me to do here.























© Copyright 2014 Mrs. Dale (lilmac at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1975195-The-Blood-Champion