*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1975404-In-The-Mood
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1975404
A man, bored, decides to play a game of chess.
The day was cold and miserable; it hadn’t stopped raining for weeks. The weather didn’t help the problem. In fact it seemed to be getting worse. I knew that I should have faced up to it months ago but I just couldn’t bring myself to do so. Why did this have to happen to me and why at this time of all times?



I must have sat there for at least an hour, or even two. One thing was clear, at least now I had a plan and I was going to follow it through, no matter what. But that was about to change and I didn’t even know.



“Well! What are you going to do? asked Polly, my grey African Parrot from his cage.

         

I got up from the cosy arm chair that I had been sitting on, near the fire place to keep warm and took out a chess board and all the pieces from a wooden chest.



“Boaring,” remarked Polly in a rather annoying manner.



“Sssh!” I whispered as I laid out the board and began to play, “If Tiddles was around, you would not be saying as much as you are now.”



“That rogue of a no good cat. Glad am I not here is he,” replied Polly as he teased me.



“Don’t speak like that,” I said as I looked. at the board to make my next move.



“Well what do you expect when you keep on watching that Sci – fi movie with that piece of  metal that keeps on breathing heavily and a creature talks the way I just talked?” asked Polly angrily, “I have to put up with that nonsense. And what’s that metal called, you know the one who breathes heavily?”



I looked across the room through my spectacles. and the parrot soon shut its beak and turned away in a huff. Moments later there was sound of a small door flap opening and shutting and then “pitter patter.”  I looked around and saw Tiddles walking up to me and purring. He had been missing and this was the reason why I had been feeling sad and lonely.



“Enemy alert,” yelled out Polly, as I picked up my Persian cat and cuddled him happily.



“Where have you been?” I asked.



“He’s been to London to see the queen! Where do you think he has been?” said Polly rather angrily before Tiddles could answer.



Suddenly, the cat jumped from my hands and ran over to the cage and tried opening its door. and Polly began flying all over.



“It’s because of him, that I had been away,” purred Tiddles angrily,” he sent me on a…”



“Stop it!” I ordered and with that there was pin drop silence, “I am not  in the mood of this.”



Tiddles opened the door of the cage and Polly flew out and landed on the gramophone, switched it on and placed my favourite Glenn Miller record on. The tune, “In the Mood” crackled on



“Let’s swing,” yelled out Tiddles, as he grabbed hold of Polly and the two began to dance. This made me smile and feel happy and was back in good mood.

© Copyright 2014 Ajay Shah (kits at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1975404-In-The-Mood