*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976058-Just-a-glimps
Rated: 18+ · Other · Drama · #1976058
A man was running away from love. The girl is fighting for her life after a car crash.
He found himself unable to move, think and allow air to escape his lungs. This is what happens when time stands still, a voice brought him back to reality. “Josh, Josh man are you there? Did you hear me? I’m sorry I have to tell you like this but it happened right before you were boarding your plane. I tried calling but your phone was already off,” Chris paused waiting for his friend to say something.
“Is she going to be okay?” Josh found his leg were able to move, his heart was beating uncontrollably. He needed to find a service desk, he had to get home. Josh was on his way to write about the mysteries of a tribe in the Amazon. He just ended relationship with Avery right before he left and now all of a sudden right before his connecting flight she was in a horrible car crash.
“I don’t know she flat lined on the way to the hospital,” Josh stopped listening. He could hear his heart beating he looked around and realized he could everyone’s heart beating. What was wrong with him? He dropped his phone and a memory of her flooded his mind. He remembered them arguing in his car, she was drunk and mad about how selfish he was. Her dark brown hair framed her face she had red eyes from anger and the alcohol, even angry she was beautiful. Another one memory quickly took its place they were in his car again in the driver’s seat. She was sitting on his lap, as always, they couldn’t wait until they got home. He remembered her laughing, it filled his mind, and they were quickly tearing off each other’s clothes as if they were teenagers on prom night. He brought her face and held it right in front of his, her green eyes showed hope, happiness and his life changing as he knew it.
*
Ten hours later Josh ran into the hospital and rushed to the nurse’s station “Excuse me I’m looking for Avery Johnson’s room? I think she is in ICU.”
“Are you a family member?” the nurse hesitantly asked. The man before her looked exhausted. His handsome face had heavy bags under his eyes he looked like he had not shaved since the day before. His green eyes had worried written all over them. Josh took a deep breath,
“No I am not a family member I am just, I’m just a friend.” He in fact did not know if they were even friends. The way things ended between them wasn’t good. “Look, it took me ten hours to get here. Give me a break.” It was after hours, there weren’t any visitors supposed to be there. Josh didn’t care what time it was he just needed to see her with his own eyes.
“I’m sorry sir but the family requested only family members are allowed in the room. It is after hours, I can’t have you upsetting the guests who are currently staying in her room. Now, there is a waiting room upstairs you can wait in but I can’t allow you to go to her room.” Josh counted to ten in his head and decided best to not yell at the nurse.          After all, he was never one to follow the rules. He found his way to ICU waiting area, dropped his duffel bag near a couch and walked on down the hallway looking for her room. His hands were clinched and clammy. Every time he passed a room they tightened even more and he found his lungs holding air waiting to release when he reached her. He passed ten different rooms before finding hers. One wall was a window so anyone could look into the room and he was glad to see the curtains not drawn. All he could hear were the machines that were helping her breathe, to help her live, and his heart beating slowly. There were machines surrounding her, tubes and IVs were coming out of her body. She had a cast on her arm she had bandages on her other arm. Must have been from the glass windows in her car, her face was bruised. He noticed a woman sleeping in a chair near the bed. He thought he could make his way into her room. Just to touch her to know that this is real. She is alive and he doesn’t have to worry anymore, hopefully. He stood before her, looking down on her beautiful face. His hands shook as he reached for her hand, it felt as if every cell in his body was waiting for his body to register the touch of her skin. He felt her bandages and his stomach tightened. He caressed her arm all the way down to her hand and it twitched. Shocked by the reaction he jumped, he thought she was finally waking up. “They say that happens sometimes,” he jumped again from the voice behind him. He was so focused on Avery that he didn’t hear her mom move.
© Copyright 2014 Rachelle (chelle222 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976058-Just-a-glimps