*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976972-Zero-Kill-episode-01-Scavengers-Creed
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1976972
A Scavenger, Cade along with his dog Bomber search for the possible fragments of a comet.
Zero Kill

Copyright  2014 Ellyahnna Hall

ellyahnna.com

Facebook Ellyahnna





0.1: Scavengers Creed


The barren landscape was strangely alien but eerily familiar at the same time. This was an unexplored part of the dead lands that Cade had not yet ventured to. He remembered it when it was once a bustling city filled with people coming and going. The ground now covered with ash and copious amounts of yellow silica glass were once streets lined with hotels, liquor stores and fancy restaurants and lights from fluorescent signs.

Now any buildings that were lift standing lay devastated by fire and looting. Cade moved forward anyway in hopes scavenging anything left of value. Medicine, weapons, booze or stored water were always of great value. Cade checked the oxygen level remaining in his air tank, the tiny meter with green digital display indicated 75% remaining. If he had known that the toxic levels in this area were going to be so high he would have filled up before leaving the colony.

He felt for the small canteen of water on his side that he had paid $10 for before leaving port. His tongue was dry as leather, but taking a drink of water here would surely prove fatal. Standing faithfully next to Cade, was a black and white husky named Boomer. Bomber made a half muffled bark through her oxygen mask.

"I know," said Cade. "We can't have water right now."

For the next few minutes Cade traversed the rock-strewn and debris covered terrain as blackened ash flurried down around him. Bomber wondered around searching for anything she could find. Even with her gas mask, she could steal sense anything of value.

Bomber stopped short of a building that looked as though it may have once been a grocery store, she gave a muffled bark grabbing Cade's attention. Cade speed towards Bomber and then surveyed the building. There was a wide open entrance at the front of the dilapidated structure. The likelihood of finding anything of value remaining inside was slim, but he was never one to take a chance at passing up a treasure. Inside, most of the shelves were empty. There were a few shelves covered with rat eaten dry goods, burst open containers of milk and rotten meat. A few dead animals lay decaying in the shadows.

As he and Bomber made their way towards the back of the structure a small pile of items surrounded by scrap metal caught Cade's eye.

"Jackpot!" exclaimed Cade kneeling and laughing hardily as he saw the first aid kit, scattered pain pills and a bottle of mouth wash. He could use the mouth wash to make boot leg booze.

A sudden crackle made Cade snap around. He stood still and listened as the sound came again. It was the sound of footsteps on scrap metal and concrete. A harsh thump and Cade reached for his hand built assault rifle. Bomber growled anxiously but Cade gave her a rub and motioned for her to be quiet. If someone was scavenging the building as well Cade preferred to get out without a gun fight and with his acquired items in hand.

         The two men in long dusty robes, head bands and gas masks crept slowly through the shadows. One had an Ak-47 clenched close to his side and the other had a long range rifle. Cade watched the shadowy outline of the men continue to move inward before stopping about sixty feet away from him. His adrenaline rushed at the possibility of being spotted. But they did not notice Cade or Bomber crouched motionless in the back corner of the building.

Cade knew his thoughts were to move silently along the wall in hopes of exiting unseen. He began to creep along the wall, motioning Bomber behind him. He had moved about ten feet, and then a crack! A piece of tin foil beneath his feet announced his presence.

"Shit," Cade mumbled as the two scavengers turned instantly towards him.

"You!" one of the scavengers cried out in a muffled voice. Bomber began to growl, her instincts taking control of her, she knew the danger they were in.

Cade knew that there was no other way now. Talking with a scavenger that was out searching for supplies was like trying to negotiate with a hungry wolf. They might just take his items and let him live but he couldn't take that chance.

Cade said not a word in return but quickly raised the rifle and fired, hitting the scavenger that had the AK-47 in the arm just before he was able to fire. The hit knocked him back and as Cade side dived avoiding gun fire from the other scavenger. Bomber had gone around and as the scavenger attempted another shot at Cade, she leap forward using her weight to knock him off balance as she was at the moment unable to use her mouth to attack. This gave Cade enough time to fire off a shot that caught the scavenger square in the chest. A shadowy arch of blood traced the motion of the scavenger as he fell backward.

A part of his mind intruded on his present situation. He didn't like killing people. Although, he knew what would have likely happened if he had not shot first. He remember the first time that he killed someone and for him although he got better at it wasn't something that he every got pleasure from.

Cade got to his feet and moved toward the scavenger that got hit in the arm. The fallen scavenger was trying to crawl towards his gun that had been knocked a good ten feet away. Cade could tell that the shot had shattered the scavenger's bone and he was in agony, his muffled groans sounded like some kind of sick beast.

"Damn fool," Cade said kneeling over the fallen scavenger. He held no anger towards him though, there was a creed among scavengers and Cade knew it, he himself was of that creed. This made it even harder for him to kill. It was about survival, the law of the dead lands, you had to get it before someone else did; it was them or you. Cade tried not to live die hard by this code, there were times when he let others take what could have been his, just because he knew they didn't have what it took to survive but in the end when pickings were scarce to none he lived by the scavenger's creed.

Cade searched the scavenger and found a water canteen and some extra ammunition. He checked the scavenger's oxygen supply, which was more than half full.

"Get out of here while you still can," Cade told him. He knew that there was no reason to kill him, even with a shattered arm the scavenger still had a chance of getting out of this area alive if he left before his oxygen got to low. Checking his own oxygen level Cade stood up, grabbed the AK-47 that the scavenger was trying to get and quickly checked the corpse of the other scavenger before leaving. He found more ammo and water. He put all the items into his messenger bag and took both of the guns. He would have left one for the remaining scavenger but didn't want to chance getting shot at again.

Cade made hast in his travel back towards the colony. Outside, the wind had increased drastically; the dusty brownish yellow sky had gotten a bit darker. Cade was no stranger to storms, he remembered many of them from his childhood before the comet fell but the comet had created something new, these storms appeared and disappeared without warning and were vicious monsters.

Hopefully, it would pass without becoming too severe, or he could get back to the colony before it hit. Cade pushed forward traversing over the desolated land as the wind pummeled him making his trek extremely excruciating. It didn't help that he was carrying two additional guns now, which added extra weight. Bits of sand and rock petted against him like small bullets and visibility was less than 30 feet if there were any scavengers wanting to get the drop on him now would be the perfect time. Bomber yelped a bit as the small rocks struck hard against her side and back. When the wind storm had finally swept past, Cade felt as if he had traveled three times the distance that he actually did. Thankfully, when he looked at his toxic meter the levels had dropped from orange to green. Green didn't indicate clean, not by a long shot but it did mean that he wouldn't face instant death if he took off his gas mask.

Dr. Tim was a genius; he was the one that built the small devices for Cade. He was also the one that Cade got injections from to protect him from radiation sickness and a variety of other lethal elements. Many of the items that Cade found he took back to Tim for possible parts that could be used to make life saving devices. If he didn't give them to Tim then Holt could always use them.

Holt was a mechanic that could build just about any weapon or transportation device.  Although Cade modified many of his own weapons when it came to complex machinery and weapons Holt was the man to go to.

Cade sat down on a large rock, removed his mask, motioned Bomber to him and removed her mask as well. He then took a long drink from the small flask of water until it was empty. Perhaps it was a good thing that he had come across those scavengers, now there was more water for him and Bomber both to drink. He poured water from the canteen he had taken into a dog bottle for Bomber. She lapped at the water thirstily until it was gone. He put another half full bottle on his side and the empty bottles back into his bag.

"Ok, let's go girl...almost home," Cade said. He flung his rifle over his shoulder and continued his trek with Bomber following closely behind.

The large steel doors marked the familiar entrance to the colony. Cade motioned at a guard perched overhead and the guard recognizing Cade nodded. A moment later the large steel doors groaned and slid open. Cade and Bomber entered and were immediately meet by Annette.

Annette stood still with her arms resting gently in front of her. She wore a dark red hooded robe with black lace tied at the front; a long red skirt was visible beneath the robe. The edge of her red hood was trimmed in white and she peered from beneath it; her eyes where smoky gray with no visible iris.

"We're back," Cade said gently.

"Am aware," Annette responded. "I could feel you approaching."

"We didn't find many supplies, unfortunately," Cade said disheartened.

"Because what you have is not what you went in search of," Annette turned, began walking and Cade and Bomber followed closely behind.

"What do you mean?" Cade asked as if he didn't know.

"Cade, I've known you for as long as you've been here," Annette began. "I may have lost my physical sight but I can see that you are searching for what many others wish to search for. And I have already seen that your future holds something far more than a few rusty guns and canteens of water."

Cade stopped and stared at Annette he wanted to ask her how she knew but deep inside he knew how she knew, just the way she always knows. Annette was dismissed by many to be a rambling old crackpot of a woman claiming to be a prophet. But Cade knew that she was truly a seer. There were those that told him that she talked about the comet hitting the planet. Scientist and experts all predicted that it would be a close shave but no impact. Annette saw the destruction that would be after the impact but even those that knew of her prediction dismissed it as a lucky guess. Only a small few of those desperately holding onto some belief of a divine power sought her advice, Cade was one of those few.

"You foresaw the comet coming Annette," Cade began and was interrupted by Bomber barking. "Shush Bomber! Can you tell me... please will the comet be found?"

"Why do seek to find what remains of the comet?" Annette inquires gravely. Bomber began barking again.

"Bomber, shush!" Cade snapped. "I don't know I guess I feel that finding it could hold some answers. I mean Dr. Tim thinks that the water can be completely purified."

"I will tell you this," Annette said softly. "You will find something great but it will not be the thing that you seek."

"What do you mean, Annette?" Cade asked with a tone of disappointment.

"I would truly like to tell you," Annette said. "However, doing so would interfere with your ability to find it. And we all need you to find the answer, even those that think that they don't. In the mean time I would suggest that you go see Tim and Holt they both have something that may be of use to you. If you need me you know where I am."

Annette quickly disappeared around some of the make-shift buildings, as a small scruffy haired kid ran up to Cade.

"Cade you been on another adventure?" the kid asked jumping up and down.

"It wasn't much of adventure," Cade responded.

"I'm going to be a scavenger too when I grow up," the small boy exclaimed.

Cade looked at the boy and smiled sadly, "Hopefully when you grow up there will be more for a young man to look forward to than being a scavenger."

"Hey, Cade!" a heavy voiced called out. Cade looked up and saw Holt standing near Tim's lab.

"Cade, get over here!" Holt called out.

Cade headed over, when he was in close enough he tossed the Ak-47 and the long range rifle to Holt one at a time.

"See what you can do with those," Cade said.

"Nice, said Holt. "How'd you come across these?"

"Two scavengers," Cade replied. "One dead now and the other probably wishing he was too."

Holt gave sort of a half laugh half snort. Holt was a large very well built man with dark skin and long hair. He wore a heavy brown construction suit with goggles on his head.

"Tim and I got something that might be useful to ya," Holt growled.

Inside, Tim was standing near a work bench; his tall lanky body was leaning over the workbench with his elbows resting on top of it. He stood straight when he heard Cade and Holt walk in.

"Welcome back, Cade," Tim said brushing his black hair away from his glasses. "Take a look at this."

Cade walked over to the work bench with Holt hanging close. Cade stops, looks down and observes several items on it.

"I've been working on some new items that may prove useful to you," Tim said with a smile.

"What are these?" Cade said.

"The first item is an adrenaline amplifier," Tim said holding up a small steel tube.  "Simply place the tip against your arm and hit the button on the end. It'll release a serum that will give a short but hell of a burst of adrenaline. Just in case you need that extra kick."

Tim handed Cade the tube and turned to the table.

"Here are some other items that might be of use to when you are out in the dead lands," Tim continued. "Some of these can be used to increase your hearing, sight and focus which would help affect your perception giving you the ability to react faster to situations. Feel free to play around with some of the different implants and modifiers. Oh, but if you decide to go with one of the implants don't try to do it yourself, just let me know and we'll get you fixed up.

"Thanks," Cade said examining the items on the table. Cade was just about to inquire about one of the items when a ground shacking rumble manifested from above. Holt, Tim and Cade exchanged glances, and then they heard a commotion from outside and went to investigate.

Annette along with several people in the colony were staring up at the brownish-yellow sky. There above them a large craft cut ominously through the clouds, casting a shadow over the colony. They watched as it slowly passed.

"What the hell is that?" Cade inquired with dreadfulness.

Annette lowered head and said, "That Cade...that is a sign of things to come."

[End]

[Next episode 0.2 Dead Life]













© Copyright 2014 Ellyahnna (ellyahnna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1976972-Zero-Kill-episode-01-Scavengers-Creed