*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1977411-You-can-take-this-job
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1977411
Sleepy waitress
You can take this job….


“GET UP! GET UP! GET UP!” The voice alarm clock blared. 

“Ugh! Its only 6:30 a.m. and I can snooze for another 10 minutes and not be late.” I thought as I reached over to swat the snooze alarm.

“Good grief somebody answer that ringing telephone!” I yelled from my slumbering mind. Then it dawned on me that I live alone.  Stumbling from the bed I crossed the room to answer the call.

“Hello.” I said trying to sweep the cobwebs from my mind.

“Do you know what time it is?” the snarky voice of my supervisor,  Bart, barked into the phone.

I turned to look at my bedside clock.  10:30 a.m.

“You were scheduled to be on shift by 7:30 a.m. If you want to stay employed, you need to get it together and be here by 11:15 before the lunch crowd arrives.” Bart slammed the phone down ending the call.

I can’t seem to catch a break.  I work two part-time jobs and take online classes to improve my lot in life, but no one seems to see that I’m trying.  I jump in the shower for a quick 3-minute wake up and rinse.

11:10 a.m. shows on the time clock as I punch in for what remains of my shift at the Sunny Day Café that serves only breakfast and lunch.

“Order up for table 6!” calls Chef Leon from the kitchen window.  I grab the plate and make my way over to table 6.

“Oh miss, may I have a bottle of ketchup?” asks the patron at table 4 as I pass by.

I place the plate before the diner of table 6.  “This is not what I ordered.” The elderly woman snips.

I hate this job.

I quit!


© Copyright 2014 GaelicQueen (gaelicqueen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1977411-You-can-take-this-job