*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978660-It-Came-Without-Warning
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1978660
My entry for Daily Flash Challenge, 2/23/2014.
It came without warning.

Sean looked down at her, his eyes widening with anticipation of what might happen next. She was beautiful, with brown eyes that shone with all the love and devotion she had. Jet black hair, short but sleek, curled at the ends in places and a perfect complement to her eyes; long legs, trim body, the perfect combination for the perfect female.

There was no explanation for what he felt except one word.

Love.

Sean picked up a stick that lay on the ground before him and turned it over and over in his hands as he watched her. She was a runner and a jumper, he knew from her gait and the development of her muscles. He wondered if she swam.

Oh, that would be something.

He had to have her. Now.

Looking up at the tall woman standing next to him, Sean nodded his head. “That one,” he told her. “I want her.”

The tall woman nodded and turned to a man who stood on her other side. “We’ll take her,” she said. “How much?”

“$100 should take care of everything,” was his answer. “I’ll get the papers.” He took off for a nearby house to fetch the documents.

“Are you sure, honey?” the tall woman asked Sean.

“She’s the one. She’s great,” was his sure reply.

The tall woman smiled a loving smile. “Then she’s yours.”

A few minutes later, fees paid and papers signed, Sean knelt down and carefully buckled the training harness around the female’s neck. “What’s her name?” he asked the man.

“Savannah. But my wife and I call her Vannie,” he answered. “She’s a good girl.”

“Come on, Vannie. Let’s go.” Sean opened the car door and the sleek black Labrador Retriever jumped into the back seat and made herself comfortable.

Oh, yeah. It was definitely love.



**********



Postscript: This is based on actual events. Sean is my then 10 year old son and Vannie is our now 12 year old Labrador retriever, who passed away on October 25, 2014. She starred in a few of my short stories and was my constant companion at home and while I wrote. She is greatly missed and will always have a place in our hearts.

© Copyright 2014 ahlewis32 (ahlewis32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1978660-It-Came-Without-Warning