*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979476-A-Starry-Night
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1979476
A children's story to help kids deal with the death of a parent.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1949221 by Not Available.


I woke up on an ever so ordinary day. I got out of bed leaped over my drawings of flowers laying on the floor. Next I Jumped over my dolls, narrowly avoided my doll house and danced out the bedroom door.

I walked to my bathroom, brushed my teeth with my pink princess toothbrush, combed my hair with my purple hairbrush, and I tried to put my hair in a braid, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

So I skipped downstairs and waited for my mom to come so I could ask her to braid my hair. I could hear her walking downstairs.

When I looked up at her and I saw tears in her eyes, I could feel my heart skip a beat. I don’t like seeing her sad, and knowing how stressed my mom was about daddy’s recent cancer diagnosis, I asked “What's wrong mommy?”

She looked at me and said, “You know that I love you and always will, but please be strong for your fathers gone.”

And just like that my day went from ordinary to horrible. I knew my father was sick, but I thought he would get over it and he wouldn't leave me.

I stood up and looked up at my mom and I gasped “What am I going to do? I tell him all my problems”

“What am I going to do?” I asked. “I tell him all my happy memories and all my sad”

“What am I going to do? We always go to the park to play sports.”

“What am I going to do?” I said quivering” “He plays tea party with my dolls and me.”

“What am I going to do?” I burst out, beginning to tear up. “He always gives me hugs and kisses.”

My mom, who looked sadder than I have ever seen her in my entire life, ensured me by saying:

“Don’t you worry, he is always with you, for his voice are in the birds that sing.”

“Don’t you worry, he is always with you, for his hugs are in the sunlight which warms you.”

“Don’t you worry, he is always with you, for his love is in the wind that blows, you may not see it but you can always feel it.”

“Don't you worry, he is always with you, for he is high in the sky looking down at you keeping you safe.” She assured me. My mom is so strong and so brave I knew at that moment we would get by.

When I went to bed that night and looked in the sky I saw a star shining brighter than the sun. I looked at that star and started to smile.

“Good night dad” I whisper “I love you more than all the stars in the sky.”

© Copyright 2014 Ray Jay (johnsrac at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979476-A-Starry-Night