*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979668-Insomnia--Daily-Slice-Entry
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1979668
Elaine will do anything to save her niece from a life-threatening condition.
Insomnia

908 words

“You’re late tonight.”

Elaine was barely able to stifle her scream.  She whirled around and saw that Oberon had appeared behind her, kneeling patiently on the carpet of pine-needles within the stone circle.  His white-blond hair glowed in the golden light of sunset that lit up against the backs of the trees behind him.  His smile was fond, ingratiating. 

“What shall I teach you tonight?”  When he saw her face, he rose, tilting his head to the side like an owl, brows furrowed.  He reached out and touched the corner of her trembling mouth.  “What’s this?”  He asked, all gentleness.

“It’s Dee,” Elaine said haltingly.  It took all the control she had left she had left not to flinch at his touch.  “She’s in the hospital.”  Speaking was a struggle.  She could still hear the doctor’s flat, final tone of voice when he’d said the words sporadic fatal insomnia.  Even in an induced coma her little niece was wasting away, dying of exhaustion.  Tears tried to force their way out her eyelids.  The muscles in her throat jerked unpredictably as she tried to hold them back.

Oberon looked at her blankly.  Elaine took a deep breath, inhaling the calming, earthy scent of the forest.  She explained.  “It means she’s very ill.  She may die.”

“Precious little Deidra?  Whatever is the matter with her?”  His eyes were a picture of concern, but his tone was too casual--as if Elaine had said Deidra sprained her ankle, or was in bed with the flu. His mouth was wrong too.  Always drawn in by the earnest sincerity of his eyes, she had never before noticed how the corners of his mouth twitched periodically, as if fighting an irresistible urge to smirk.  All this time… how could she have missed it? 

Elaine closed her eyes and swallowed, a cold finger of fear twisting up her spine.  She spoke.

“I think you know.” 

And it was astounding.  All pretense of anxiety—of any emotion whatsoever—vanished instantly from Oberon’s face.  For a long moment he stared at her, head cocked to the side, eyes blank as a snake’s.  Finally, he smiled wide.

“So it was too much for her after all.  I thought it would be.  You are such fragile creatures.”  He shook his head, clucking softly.  “A shame she promised to dance with me every night.”

“Please.” Elaine almost choked on the word.  She gave up fighting the tears, and they slid down her face.  Cold.  She was dimly aware that she was shivering.  “You've had your fun.  Please, leave her alone.”

“My dear.”  His voice dripped condescension, oily and satisfied.  “She made a bargain.  She must abide by it.”  His silvery green eyes danced. 

“She’s only six!”  Her voice thinned and broke.

His face clouded.  He shrugged and looked aside, impatient, as if she had stamped her foot and accused him of being mean.  “It was a promise fairly made,” he said, sullen.

Elaine desperately combed her mind, turning over everything she had learned from Oberon in the last five months, searching for something to use against him, anything to save her niece from this monster that Elaine had unintentionally sacrificed her to.  Finding nothing else, nerves frayed to bare threads, she fumbled for a trump card. 

“I know your true name,” Elaine said, squaring her shoulders, trying and failing to keep her voice from shaking.  “I summoned you here.  I can--.”

Oberon’s sudden, wild shriek of laughter cut her off.  She flinched, screwing up her eyes and clapping her hands over her ears to shield herself from the terrible sound, like sharp, pointed fingernails tearing silk and scraping glass. Leaves rustled violently as startled birds took flight and fled.

Summoned me?”  He howled again, showing the sharp points of his white teeth and clutching his sides in abandon.  “Is that what you thought you were doing?  Oh… my poor, sweet Elaine.”  He shook his head and cast his eyes heavenwards, composing himself.  When he turned to speak to her again, his eyes were hard and his voice was soft and venomous. 

Oberon.”  He spat.  “Honestly.  What in the name of all mysteries made you think that could be my true name?”

There was nothing else she could do.  The strength went out of her legs and she sank to her knees.  Tears rolled down her cheeks as she stared dumbly at the ground.  After a moment, Oberon made a derisive noise in his throat. 

“It seems I've gotten the better deal after all.  That little girl is worth a dozen of you.”

She closed her eyes against a fresh onslaught of tears, covering her face.  There was a rustling of cloth, the soft cracking of pine needles.  He was leaving.  Urgency seized her. “Wait!” she cried, looking up.  The words …better deal… echoed in her mind. 

He stopped.

Sudden inspiration struck her.  There was a way, after all, to make things right for Dee, for her sister.

“Take me instead,” she said.

A long pause followed.  “I have dancing partners enough these days,” Oberon said softly. He kept his back to her, but an invitation lurked under his words. 

“Something else, then.”  Elaine spoke with feverish energy. “A new bargain.  I’ll give you anything!”

Another long, painful moment passed before Oberon turned back to face her.  A slow smile spread across his face as the last rosy light of the setting sun glowed triumphantly in his eyes.

“I’m listening.”
© Copyright 2014 Femininja (adrasteia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979668-Insomnia--Daily-Slice-Entry