*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979877-Ka-Rye
by Anna
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1979877
How in an alternate universe people survive along side an other species of sentient beings
Terms of interest
Ky-rin- a species of being who lacks vocal cords. Communicates psychically with each other. If they attempt to communicate with a person they have not been psychically bonded with they will cause brain damage and even death in severe cases.
Ka-Rye- a bonded pair, one human and one Ky-rin
Nykyrian- a male Ky-rin who has bonded with a human girl named Safriel.
Safriel- half of a Ka-Rye. A human girl who has the ability to control iron particles from blood. Uses it in gladiatorial combat.


Part one

Safriel looked out the bars into the ring. She could hear the crowd cheering as the gladiators entered the arena. The men upon the sand circled around each other looking for an opening, weapons flashing harshly in the sun. dust rose with each step. Raising his shield the first struck out with his sword, narrowly missing his opponent. His opponent stepped back starting to whirl a net above his head. aiming for the swordsman's legs he released his net. Caught off guard the swordsman tripped on the net, falling backwards on to the ground. The spear man raced forward and plunged his spear into his enemy's throat. A spray of blood hung in the air.

Safriel felt Nykyrian reaching out to her mind.

Safriel.

Yes?

Are you sure you wish to do this? The fighters appear to be particularly brutal today.

Yes, I'm sure. If you want to eat this week we need the money it will provide. I've been watching the fights and speaking with the other gladiators. None of the others have powers, so as minor as mine is I have the advantage.

© Copyright 2014 Anna (gh05twr1ter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1979877-Ka-Rye