*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980010-Mortal-Lies-part-1-edited
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Preface · Action/Adventure · #1980010
In a land ravaged by war and dark alliances. A girl with a brutal past maybe the answer.
      This was the end, the last time Aiden told herself as she stalked into the ill-lit tavern. Her black cloak concealing the knife she held at her side. Her prey seated before her at the bar chatting up his neighbor while finishing his pint. This was to be a two target deal, and her other mark sat alone. Back to the far corner of the room, nursing his third drink. The place stunk of alcohol, the air heavy with smoke from the fire in the pit. It clung to the ceiling and hung from the rafters. The fire gave the tavern a warm glow that reflected eerily from the face of one of its occupants. She ignored the leery eyes watching her every move, it's what she wanted anyways. The more eyes watching the better her chances of freedom. Aiden finally stopped behind her prey, her hood shielding her face. Then with a swift thrust forced the blade through her prey with an audible sigh. Aiden let go of her knife as the prey fell forward onto the counter. A hushed awe fell over the tavern as its occupants tried to grasp what just happened. She just stood waiting hands at her sides, head bowed to the floor, eyes closed. Waiting for what was justly hers, a sudden clatter announced its swift approach.
          There was a rush of feet towards her, gasps and late screams. Hearing the sharp buzz of steel being swung right at her reaped no reaction. Instead she let out a deep breath choosing at the last second to duck under the edge of the steel blade. Her game had just begun. She heard someone call for guards at the same time as she expertly twisted away from her attackers. But, in her mind if they could catch her they would be her redeemers not her killers. Aiden couldn't let it be easy, her end. She wanted a good fight first. She drew no sword instead she weaved around her attacker's sword swings while dodging others. Finally there was a clatter of steel armor and more swords being drawn. At the sound of a bow string twang she stood still as the arrow narrowly passed by her lodging into the support beam. Before she could do anything else cold steel pressed harshly to her throat. She gazed up following its point to its owner. The man had a rugged face, midnight hair falling onto his shoulders, and hardened grey eyes begging her to push him into applying the last amount of pressure needed. He wasn't alone in wishing for such things. Under the edge of her cloak a blade was pointed at the man, he was her second mark. But she hesitated gazing at the man before her. She had changed her mind and he would remember her forever. In a sudden haze she disappeared escaping to a safer location.
          Watching from the rafters as the tavern became filled with confusion and sudden out bursts of anger at her escape. She observed as the guards totted away her prey. The man who nearly had her life was stalking around the tavern, searching for her everywhere. He stopped the guards dragging the body of her kill. Then he wrenched her strange blade from the dead man's back. He finally calmed down and decided to have another pint, stewing over her escape toying with the dagger. Aiden felt it was finally safe enough to leave. She slunk through the smoke vent in the ceiling disappearing into the evening. She had decided she wanted to live again.
© Copyright 2014 Wanderer (ghostshowl09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980010-Mortal-Lies-part-1-edited