*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980586-The-Meaning-of-Justice
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Trigun
Rated: ASR · Poetry · Philosophy · #1980586
A different perspective of justice, mostly applied to the way we take life for granted.
          What do you know of justice? For the most minuscule of trespasses you seek recompenses. Great fault is found with untoward events applied unjustly, yet what of the advantageous? What of your eyes? For what war was ceased by your hand that you might gaze upon the ocean of stars lighting the abyss of the night sky? Or if one is blind, then what of your ears? For how many without home have you fed and sheltered that you might listen to the symphony of nature as she brings seemingly cacophonous sounds into harmony? Or if one may be deaf, then what of your skin? What disease have you cured that you ought to feel the warmth of a loved one's touch? And if one has none of these then what of your life? How many dead have you raised up from their graves that you should walk the earth in any fashion, maimed or whole?

          Are not all these bestowed without just servitude? I see that you find no qualms here, yet you bicker and quibble at any inconvenience. Let me tell you this, when you and I were but clumps of cells rushing through our father's seed there was no justice involved. There is no just reason that my genetic composition should get a chance of existence over another's. Nothing accomplished in this life will ever change that. The only fruitful action that can be taken is a life of freedom for the potential lives that cannot do the same. Free of duty, shame, inhibition, sin, and all other manners of foolishness.

          Can you not lift yourself of these burdens brother? Can you not find the path to weightlessness sister? Then why is it you still breathe? If you have not the strength then I can assist, for I am neither a coward nor a nefarious creature. I am a man of magnanimity and I will aid you in your struggle. Here, I offer you my dagger. Let me put the cold steel to your throat. Yes, this is what you want isn't it? Release is just beyond the horizon, can you taste it's sweetness on your lips? Oh come now child, don't quiver. Do you now wish to shy away from this moment?

          I will let go, for as aforementioned I am a man of magnanimity. But I will tell you this, for many calamities I will endure. Poverty, disease, desolation, malnourishment, maltreatment, for all these things I will smile and swallow whole. But of your whining, of your lacking graciousness, and for your crooked interpretation of justice I will not suffer. And thus I will keep my dagger ready for the day you forget these things.

(Alternate verses)

For what war was ceased by your hand that you might hear the joyous laughter of your children playing in the yard, the reassuring words of your mother, or the gentle whispers of your wife as you make love to her? 

What of your life? How many dead have you raised up from their graves that you ought walk the earth in any fashion; impoverished or flourishing, desolate or loved, maimed or whole?

For how many without home have you fed and sheltered that you might enjoy the security of your own house, and slumber safely within those walls?

Do you have none of these luxuries? Ah yes, I have one last parable for even the utmost of grief stricken souls.

I speak not out of malice but of love, and thus I must keep my dagger ready lest you forget these things.
© Copyright 2014 Trigun (trigun2046 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1980586-The-Meaning-of-Justice