*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1983005-Struck-By-Luck
by Haley
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1983005
Elizabeth has never had luck. So when she finally gets a key piece, will all else fail?
Chapter One
2013
I woke up feeling disoriented and confused. Almost as if an out of body experience. I knew, without opening my eyes, that there was someone else there in the room with me. I wonder if it were the Parkers. They probably just want me to make them breakfast. They're always making me do their chores, but today, I just want to sleep. They can make their own food.

I shifted in my bed and immediately noticed something wrong. There were objects attached to my body all over. I could feel them in my nose and on my arm. My eyes shot open and darted across the unfamiliar room in panic. A bright, single light shone in my face. I tried to sit up but the blood rushing down from my head objected a winning protest. I lay back down and I heard a stumble across the room.

I looked around the room and locked eyes with an older women. She stared at me in total shock than she stumbled towards me. I sat up, more slowly this time, and looked at her questionably.

"Hello," She said in a slow hesitant voice. It had a strange accent that I couldn't quiet place.

I stayed silent as I took in her appearance. In her left hand, was a book- poetry or something like that. She had a kind, wrinkled face. Her brown hair was streaked with gray. A pair of kind, brown eyes stared back at me and I felt familiarity in them for some reason.

"Can you understand me? Nod if you can." She spoke softly as her brown eyes pierced me. I hesitated slightly but nodded a quick, sharp nod.

She sighed with relief and I saw hope flash through her features. She walked up to the bed I was in and I looked around the room for the first time.

The room we were in was painted white with simple furniture in it. There was a bookshelf in the right corner of the room filled with unfamiliar books in it. A big, cushy chair sits next to it. A door is on the left corner and a window lights up the room behind the chair. A simple desk sits in next to the door covered with medical items and a mirror above it.

The stranger standing next to me and the unknown of my whereabouts didn't help ease panic all over my body.

"I can't believe you're awake!" The familiar stranger quietly exclaimed. She lifted a shaking hand towards me and I cringed away from her touch.

She quickly pulled her hand back and spoke to me in her soft voice. "I promise that I'm not going to hurt you. I'm here to help you. Now, you must be famished and tired. Let me call in a nurse." She walked over to the desk and pressed a white button that sits atop.

"Where am I?" When I spoke, my voice was gravely and felt weak. I tried to bring a hand up to my throat but the cord in my wrist held it back. I looked at it with fear and the panic still present.

"You're in a hospital. You were in a coma. I still can't believe you're awake!" She said in amazement.
© Copyright 2014 Haley (chaley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1983005-Struck-By-Luck