*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1983389-End-of-it-all
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1983389
apocalypse
          We were watching tv, eating dinner, when the channel we were watching went fuzzy, then cut to the news. It had started. The apocalypse. Dad stopped chewing, pushed his plate away and jumped from the table.
"What are you doing?" I kept eating, if the apocalypse was starting, I was going to start it off with a full stomach. He didn't respond but ran for the front door, locked it, then ran for the front window and peered out. He looked outside for a long time. I wondered what he was thinking. He kept standing there, and my mind drifted, I was happy mum wasn't around to see this, then I thought of Brandon, would I see him again? I pulled out my phone,
         I don't know when or if we'll see each other again, so if we don't, I love you, and I hope you and your family stay alive through all of this. *Heart* text me for as long as you can, before your battery runs out, and keep in touch, maybe we can meet up, try not to waste your battery. I love you so much.
         I turn off my phone and shove it my pocket, my dinner is finished and I'm full, now my mind is racing and I'm starting to panic and dad is still just standing at the window.
"What are you doing!" I finally yell.
"Shut up!" He whispers harshly, the blinds fly shut and he dives for the light switch.
"What, are you doing." I repeat, I'm right at his side, not letting him ignore me this time.
"Th-there's one in the street." His face is blank, and he's looking straight ahead, I need to see what he's talking about. "Don't open the curtain too much." I nod hesitantly and slowly walk over to the window. I peek out, and there's someone, who I'm assuming was a neighbour, kneeling over another someone under the streetlight, ripping at their stomach, pulling something out and devouring it. It made me want to puke. "What do we do?" All of the lights were off, we were in pitch dark, I couldn't see two feet in front of my face. "Dad? Daddy? Dad!" He was nowhere to be seen, this panicked me, I did not want to be alone, or separated from him. I started running through the house, but tripped over the coffee table. Dad came racing down the stairs three bags in hand.
"What are you doing! Ssh! We have to be quiet."
"Why do you think that?"
"Just makes sense." I nodded and he tossed me a bag. "Go grab some stuff." I took off down the hallway into my room, I plugged in the night light that I hadn't used for years to have a little bit of light. Dad hadn't closed the blinds in my room. Cars were zooming down the street, five or six people were sprinting for shelter, one man with a large belly was laying in the middle of the street convulsing, and shaking hard, their head was smashing off the pavement. Then, it stopped. The people running slowed, to look at the person, then, the man with the large belly slowly stood up. The smart ones took off, but two stayed behind, and the now brain-dead person was walking after them, it wanted them, and it was not going to stop. They started running, but one tripped and fell and their friend had to stop and help them. That was the wrong decision. The zombie got them, both of them, It clawed at their legs, and arms, biting at their necks. I shut the curtains as fast as I could, then dove to the floor dry heaving, and crawling to my dresser. Oh my god, what the hell was this. Tears filled my eyes, my head was fuzzy, images of the horror movie unfolding outside my window flitted across my eyelids; That would be me eventually. I shook my head, wiped my eyes getting rid of any evidence of weakness, since we got news that there may be an outbreak I knew what kind of apocalypse person I would be. I wouldn't show weakness, I would be strong for myself and my father and anyone else who would need me. I shook my head, took some deep breaths then zoomed around the room gathering some supplies.A thick pullover sweater, a zip up sweater, two pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts, a tank top and some other shirts. I threw hair ties a pair of sunglasses, socks and some other little things all landed in the bag, I zipped up the big pocket and took off for my bathroom. Thank god for the big backpack. Toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, soap, several rolls of toilet paper. This could be the last time I see my crappy little bathroom. My throat swelled. Dammit, so far, being strong was not going well. I said my silent goodbyes and spun on my heals and walked briskly down the hallway looking at the pictures on the wall. Now I was kind of happy my crabby old cat didn't live to see this and we didn't really have very much family. Sad I suppose, but defiantly less people to worry about. Dad was peering over the fish tank whispering something to Tyreece the goldfish; poor guy has no idea what his inevitable fate will be.
"Feeding him?" He nodded, still tossing food into the tank. "Dad, I think he's going to drown in the food before he'll be able to even eat it.."
"I want him to be prepared." I nodded, and glanced at the door, his big army bag was stuffed full and standing by the door. Two sleeping bags were laying beside it.
"So, what are we going to do?" The question made him stop feeding Tyreece finally.
"I thought we could wait it out, but I don't know if that would do anything other than get us killed.. Maybe wait till it gets worse then flee the city just in time, or we could go on a nice camping trip in the middle of nowhere."
"Well, I guess we'll go on a camping trip. When do we leave?"
"We'll go in the morning. After these things get out of the street which I'm hoping will happen." He plopped down beside the window, peered out a little between the curtain. Right away he looked like he saw something awful and he shut his eyes. "Maybe go to sleep, so we can leave faster." He smiled then looked out the window again, and hi face was serious once more. I nodded and retreated to my room, slipped my shoes off and left them beside my bed. I flopped on the bed and whipped out my phone, stared at the battery life for what felt like forever. Tonight would be the last time I'd get to charge it until who knows how long. This depressed me. Hmm, maybe I should call Brandon, see what he's up too and what their plans are. I called, it rang for a while, then went to voice mail, I'm just calling to see what your guys' plans are, I love you so much, I'll probably call you back soon. I ended the call tossed the phone aside, shut my eyes and sighed. He hadn't answered my text either. Maybe I'll call him now. I called again, this time it picked up then ended, the background was loud, alive with noise. This irritated me. Once more, I thought. He picked up the first ring this time, there was screaming, and growling in the background; it sounded chaotic. What the hell was going on?
"Brandon? Brandon! Answer me! Hello! Are you ok?!"
"Veronica... My dad..." He was sobbing into the phone, then gasping and crying, the screaming in the background was never ending. The images that would go through his head that night would be awful.
"I-is he...?"
"He's getting shredded as we speak."
"Brandon, get away, run! Don't watch that. Please, please don't watch that!" He was whimpering, I could hear him scuffling the screams and growls faded.
"I-I don't know what to do!" He wailed, "my mom's somewhere in Peru, Or Brazil, or something like that, my uncle is wherever he is, and my dad is dead. What do I do Ronnie?"
"I'm coming to help you, where are you." This wasn't a question, but a demand.
"Hiding in a corner in my basement. Don't come here, we'll both end up like this, just stay there with your dad and be safe, I love you." Then he hung up. What the damn hell, not bloody likely. This was not going to happen, he was not going to die like that. I slipped out of my room and tiptoed down into the basement, where dad keeps the guns. Just a little one would do and it was one of only two left, now I felt kind of sorry dad taught me how to handle a gun so well. I grabbed as many bullets that I could stuff into my pockets then dashed back to my room as quietly as possible. I threw all of them into a little bag just the perfect size to go around my neck and shoulders. I remembered the butterfly knife I had gotten from grandpa, hiding in my closet, I threw myself into the open doorway and started taking apart the closet it by bit until I found it, threw it in my pocket, then, tugged my shoes back on zipped up my sweater, and grabbed my car keys.
© Copyright 2014 Mackenzie Kate (catscatscatz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1983389-End-of-it-all