*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985165-The-Misunderstanding
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Emily
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1985165
Be careful what you hear
It was always crowded in New York City. People pushed and yelled if you weren’t moving fast enough.
One day she was walking, trying to hurry to get to work, afraid she was going to be late. When suddenly the crowd just stopped moving.
It was chaotic. Suddenly, Valerie heard someone yelling her name. She turned around trying to find where the voice was coming from when she saw Terry in the distance.
“Hello! What are you up to?” she replied excited.
He was saying something but she couldn’t quite figure out what he was saying.
“Huh? I didn’t hear a word you just said!” Valerie replied.
He repeated himself again but she couldn’t figure it out. She was trying to walk to him so she could hear him but the crowd was just too tight for moving. He said it once more and she thought she understood, but if she heard right, she was beyond confused.
“I love you?” she whispered.
“There’s no way he just said I love you.”
She fell silent and shocked. When she looked up she could see him looking at her with such a confused look. She didn’t know how to reply to “I love you.” She didn’t love him back but she couldn’t hurt his feelings, either. She could see him pushing his way up to her with a concerned look on his face. She felt like running away but she knew she couldn’t do that. There he was.
“Valerie, are you okay? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”
“I’m fine. Nothing wrong here!” she replied in an anxious voice.
“Did you understand what I said?”
She became hesitate.
“No, the noise was so loud, I missed it.”
“No worries! All I said was, “I’m about to buy an olive. You?””
© Copyright 2014 Emily (ilikepaperclip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1985165-The-Misunderstanding