*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1987068-Texas
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1987068
Story 'bout a fraand
After a failed attempt at staying home for college, Haley's next choice was a rather... "heated" decision. Texas. The blonde girl wasn't one for making extreme decisions, so she let her friends and family influence her educational choices. Apparently it was the best idea to use her just slightly above average art skills and put them to work at an Art Institute. For some unknown reason, the Texas institute was chosen. Out of state funds were high but no matter what she said, Haley's family kept pushing her towards moving south. She assumed it was because of how much she complained about the climate and her continuous foreign interests. Her family took this as an opportunity to send her somewhere closer to another country, decidedly Mexico, as well as live in a warmer climate, decidedly Texas. Hence her traveling to the Lone Star state.
She knew somehow she'd regret the pressure that had been put on her and how easily she gave in, but she was also a little excited. Not only was she about to embark on a journey out of her normal comfort zone, but she had a very large opportunity to visit a so called pen pal of hers. She'd waited years to meet her best friend, Kevin. He had always been kind to Haley, no matter what situation she found herself in. With her boyfriend off to boot camp training, she was free to mosey around whoever she wanted and this was a great time to meet him. No worries of freaking her lover into a state of insanity. Nor was there the worry of hurting the boyfriend by finding another lover. Everyone needs a good break from time to time and that's exactly what they had agreed. Haley was free to anyone. She had small hope for Kevin though. He was only a friend and he was in a committed relationship. She wouldn't mess with that. Haley did, however, promise the Texan that she'd visit him when she got out of high school.
As she arrived to the airport, she started feeling a twisting ache in her stomach. It wasn't from the flight she'd just endured though. It was something else. Nerves? Fear of the unknown perhaps? Who knows? She just kept trying to focus on her task. First, she'd visit her "bear", and then start her new college life.
With hours of driving and searching a small town for one really hard house to find, Haley began to feel the ache in her stomach getting worse. It was starting to worry her. As she pulled into the driveway—finally—she shakily left her car and slunk up to the front door. The house was a simple white with self-growing, purple flowers along the front porch. She assumed they were self-growing. Kevin didn't seem like one to plant flowers.
Haley sucked in a short breath and rapped her fist gently on the wooden door. A muffled yell came from somewhere inside, probably something along the lines of “coming” or “hold on”. The seconds passed agonizingly slow and made Haley wince at the growing fluttering in her belly. It felt like slow motion when the door creaked open and the sun-soaked, baffled face of her former long distance friend appeared.
“Haley! What are you doing here?” Kevin sounded excited, but his expression was rather blank. Before the girl could respond, something black covered her eyes. Her head hurt and she couldn't think straight. She could hear yelling, like before, but this time it sounded much more distant and frantic. Once the black finally lifted from her sight, Haley found herself laying on a soft couch, covered and tucked into a silky blanket. Had she been kidnapped? How could that have happened? Where was Kevin? Just as she wondered where the boy was, he stepped out from an archway on the wall across from Haley, a cup in his hand. When he glanced at her, he had to squint to figure if she was awake or not. Realizing she was, he laughed. “Aww, did you have a good nap, boo?” His chuckle was playful and mocking. She gave him a confused gaze and wiggled in the blanket.
“What happened?” She sat up, yawning and untangling her limbs from the blanket.
© Copyright 2014 Xeha Xwihn (kobachan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1987068-Texas