*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1987214-The-Next-Chapter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1987214
My first attempt at "publishing" a story that came to me in a dream.
His hazel-green eyes flew open wide when he heard the faint, rustling noise, but other than that, he didn't move; he didn't even breathe. The darkness of the lobby hindered him, but he thought he saw movement over to the side. His head finally moved when his eyes were unable to keep up with the slow moving figure. It wasn't dead, that much he was certain of. Why? Well for starters, the way it moved suggested that it was being careful not to disturb the other people sleeping around him and the figure. That, the fact that it was moving away from a good food source and it was alone meant it also wasn't toxic.



'Did they have scouts? This area was checked wasn't it? If they were in trouble, where the fuck was David?' So many other thoughts ran through his mind, he couldn't understand them all.



He propped himself up to his elbows as quietly as he could. It didn't make a difference as the figure was well away from him so any noise he made either wouldn't be heard or wouldn't be associated with him. Still, he didn't want to wake anyone else up and cause a ruckus. A quick glance around gave him temporary relief.



Narrowing his eyes, hoping to keep track of the creature, he swore under his breath as he watched it make its way to the exit, slowly and carefully open the door (about a crack from what he could tell - enough to get through but not let lots of light in) and then disappear behind the closing door.



Then he made his move.



Jumping to his feet as quietly but quickly as he could, Ambrose kept his body facing towards the direction he saw the figure leave through. But even before he could take one step, he was confronted with the problem of stepping on the other sleeping figures.

'How the hell did that thing move around this crowd so quickly?' He thought.



His thoughts instantly brought up the image of a ghost but he quickly shoved it away. They were already having enough problems; putting the paranormal into the mix would be insane and he didn't need to help his insanity anymore. She was driving him crazy enough as it was.



Cursing again under his breath, he thanked the heavens for the umpteenth time for all the training he went through as he maneuvered around the sleeping humps as best as he could. He especially didn't want to wake up David and have to explain to him why he was disobeying orders - again. Already on thin ice, he knew his temper would just have him pummeling David if something else happened.

After what seemed an eternity (and it was a wonder the sun wasn't coming up just yet) he made it to the door the figure went through. As he placed his hand on the smooth surface, he frowned. Whatever, or whoever, it was that went this way was probably long gone by now. Still, he needed to make sure that no one was going to be in trouble. He wasn't about to get blamed for this if he could help it.

The door pushed outward, the cause of an earlier "debate" between David and a few others. Dangerous, yes; but the hospital seemed abandoned and they didn't find anything on this floor so it would do for now. It was only later that he wondered why there wasn't anyone closer to this door or why there wasn't a barricade of some sorts.



Ambrose quietly pressed his body against the door latch, hoping against hope not to make a sound. He froze with his heart in his throat as it opened (enough to let him through) to a rather loud thump.



The light coming from the hall allowed him to look back over his should to survey any possible damage. He heard more than saw a couple of people turn in their sleep, but otherwise there was silence. When his lungs ached for lack of air, he took a deep breath and plunged into the hallway, then carefully helped the door close quietly behind him.



Once the door closed, he heard another thumping sound; and then, a split second lately, nearly inaudibly, the sound of a gasp. He froze, but his heart lunged against his chest as he listened for the direction the noise came from.



Looking down and to the left, he saw a make-shift barricade: a jumble of junk placed in a way that he was sure would cause a tremendously loud boom if someone or something tried climbing over it. No doubt that was David's solution. He didn't think the figure had gone in that direction.



Another gasp came to him. A little louder; it was almost right above him.



Ambrose sprang up the stairs as quickly and quietly as he could. Whoever this was was still here! And he was going to find out exactly what they were doing.



It didn't take long. He had to skid to a sudden stop so as not to crash into ... her!



What the hell is she doing?



E-mode squeaked out surprise and spun to face him, nearly dropping the heavy two-by-four she was trying to brace against the door. Her mind panicked for a split second, forgetting about the alarm she had helped David with earlier and thinking she was in extreme danger; then her wide eyes burned into him as she watched him grab the beam to keep it from falling and making a ruckus.



"I didn't think I said that out loud."



"Yeah, well you did." She breathed in response and watched him watch her for a moment before grabbing hold of the beam again. Ambrose didn't let it go; he couldn't. He was transfixed at the moment. He actually hadn't been this close to her alone before and he couldn't move. "Can I have it back now?"



"Heh." He let it go and watched her as she tried to shove it under the door knob. Now he knew what those sounds were. Blinking himself back, he leaned in and helped her brace the door. "Here! Let me." If there was anything on this floor, he wouldn't let them out. Too many people to think of to screw this up.  Too many thoughts were now running through his head. "Huh?" His eyes quickly found hers then moved away.



"I said thanks."



"Oh. Yeah." He smiled a bit behind his burning cheeks and shaggy bangs. "What the hell are you doing out here?" He looked down at the brace, then made like he was making sure it was secure. "Where are you going?"



"To bed."



"Um..." He looked down at her and motioned down the stairs with his thumb. "...everyone's asleep down there."



E-mode grinned in spite of herself as she studied him and his awkward gestures. She remembered the videos that didn't look anywhere near what he looked like now. "Yes, and if I stay, they won't be and they may wind up dead." She turned, bent down to grab a blanket and pillow that had been tucked into a corner and started quietly walking up the last flight of stairs.



'How could she move so quietly?' "So, where are you going?" He took a step towards her.



She pointed up.



He followed, like a puppy. "Why won't they be sleeping?"



"I snore, and loudly." Now she was flushing. He couldn't see her with her back towards him and she was grateful.



"You can't go by yourself."



"I was. Come with me then, or don't. Either way, I'm tired and I need sleep."



"David?"



"Said it was ok when I explained it to him." She kept walking and looking forward.



He watched her from over her shoulder and then quickly rushed past her right before she got to the last door. "Let me."



"As you wish."



He froze again, for a split second, then as quietly as he could he pulled open the door.



Ambrose poked his head through the opening, wishing to God that his eyes would adjust to the dark faster than they were. He could feel her waiting patiently in the stairwell. Since his eyes weren't working well, he listened as best as he could. After an eternity, he could make out dark figures of furniture, desks and medical equipment. Not for the last time he wished the emergency lights and generators were working. "It looks clear." He whispered over his shoulder.



E-mode reached up and softly touched his elbow. Ambrose stood about a foot taller than her and she would be going in blind so she had to go against her better judgment and trust him.



He jumped when her fingertips touched his skin and he barely heard her apology over his pounding heart and the blood rushing through his ears. Putting his other hand over hers, he felt her fingers stiffen, grinned and whispered. "Trust me. Let's go."



She was practically on his hip as he moved into the once pristine hallway. Listening intently, they both moved painfully slow towards what looked to have been a nurse's station at one time. There should be rooms close by each thought.



Ambrose fought back the temptation of intertwining his fingers with hers as he guided her towards the closest door he could see. Not for the first or last time he cursed himself for not bringing a flashlight with him.



Almost as though he said it aloud or she read his mind, he heard her whisper. "It's too bad we can't use flashlights." Her head had been moving from side to side as they walked, but her warm breath traveled over his bare arm and he started having a little trouble walking.



Thankfully their adventure was uneventful as he guided her into the hospital room and closed the door behind him. She stayed very close to him as they listened for any sound. So far, the third floor seemed to be as deserted as the main floor, but it was better to be safe. After a moment, he looked back at the door to make sure there was either no window or something drawn over it before he headed over to the other wall.



Bright moonlight fell into the room once he pulled the shade. Shyly glancing back he saw her with her hand over her eyes quietly scanning the room: two beds, a curtain, the bathroom, a TV set that would never again function. Yes, it had all the amenities of a hospital under siege.



He watched her move over to the bed closest to the door and laid the pillow and covers out.



"I don't really need an audience you know."



Ambrose grunted an apology and turned somewhat away, but still watched her movements. "You should take the other bed."



E-mode shrugged and continued laying things out.



"So, you snore huh?"



"Yes." She didn't seem embarrassed about the fact. "Loud enough to wake my mom, and she's been dead 20 years."



He grinned and laughed quietly to himself. When he glanced at her again, she too was smiling as she got into the bed.



"Are you going to stay?"



He breathed in. Was it his imagination or was her question more of a request than an inquiry. "Do you mind?"



"No." She laid down facing him, bringing the sheets up to her arms.



Now it was his turn to be uncharacteristically nervous and her audience comment bounced inside his rather empty head. He moved his eyes over her then over to the empty bed and back at her.



She smiled at him, a sort of thank you, and then closed her eyes

.

Ambrose looked over at the door and listened for a bit. It almost seemed as though she were holding her breath to help him. When he was satisfied that they were relatively safe, he moved away from the window towards the empty bed and leaned against the frame. His eyes never left her.



"By the way, my name is..."



"...I know who you are."



"You're one up on me. Can I call you Da..."



"No!" They both froze and listened. She hadn't meant to say that as loudly as she had. After a few moments, they both breathed again.



"Um...ok. Kin..."



"...I know what he calls me." Her reply was laced with anger. "I wish he wouldn't."



"I've heard David call you something. Haven't been able to make it out."



"David calls me E-mode." She could feel him trying to figure that one out - typical. "I'm always on emotional mode when it comes to things now, and he didn't feel like calling me emo..." The response came out as naturally as the explanation for snoring.



"Is that what you want me to call you?"



She was quiet for a moment. In the glow of the moonlight he saw her eyes open wide and glittering in his direction, almost searching his face for some hint.



"Can I call you Jonny?"



He slowly walked over to her bed, hunkered down so his face was level with hers, looked deep into her brown eyes and whispered. "I like Jon better."



"Jon." She breathed. "You can call me Debi."



He felt his heart leap again, and then he had to steady himself as she leaned over and softly brushed her lips against his.



She turned away from him. "Good night." She whispered.



He stood up and moved into the other bed. His mind was racing as fast as his heart.



'Debi.' He thought. 'I love you.'



Lying on the bed, hands behind his head, his eyes stared blankly at the ceiling as his mind went over everything that happened today. He didn't move, didn't look at her, and barely breathed, as he tried to keep the feeling of her lips on his. After a bit, her breathing slowed and became rhythmic as she fell into sleep.



'What was she dreaming of?' He wondered as he stared at the ceiling. 'Does everyone call her E-mode? Who else calls her Debi?'

What were you thinking? He nearly jumped as his conscious scolded him.



'I'm thinking I really like her and I want to be with her.'



And Rosemary?



He frowned. He hadn't thought of her at all today, not that he could remember. Was he forgetting her? He hadn't thought of Col or Joe either and he chastised himself for it. Friends and family, that's why he agreed to join up with David's group. He ventured a glance over at the sleeping woman next to him.



Surely she was in the same boat. It was hard for him to believe she was single before all hell broke loose. He could see her moving from person to person, caring for them. Could see her talking with David (and the thought brought up those jealous feelings again), letting him know what someone needed. She had the patience of a saint from what he could tell, but her eyes were always searching everyone and everything. Who was she looking for?



And then there was Kin. Her tone of voice just now told him that she wasn't as close to him as he led Ambrose or anyone else to believe. A jealous man-child who had decided to take Debi as his, in his own mind.



'Does he really know her?' Overly protective at the very least, she seemed oblivious to him and his actions most of the time. Did she ever acknowledge his presence?



If memory served, Kin was on patrol right now. He had happily volunteered, but now that Ambrose thought about it, it seemed like Kin always happily volunteered for any kind of patrol or guard duty. 'Way to keep your eyes on your prize.' Ambrose thought gloomily.

E-mode sighed and turned.



Ambrose jumped slightly, looked quickly to the door then at the sleeping form. He stifled a soft laugh as a quiet snore escaped her lips. 'Oh my God! You're ...' He let his thoughts drift into nothing as he closed his eyes.



© Copyright 2014 Dazrahe (dazrahe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1987214-The-Next-Chapter