*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1987461-GENIUS-AND-INSANITY
by Joshua
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #1987461
Just train of thought theory I just had that is both worrying until aware then its hopeful
They say that there's a fine line between Genius and Insanity. Fair enough. This makes me think,as well as inspires some other similar, self-made, "sayings" (Well...umm...I said them a minute ago...so yea...sayings..ahem, anyhooo) that I may mention also, this should be extended to say something, shorter and sweeter(to the point) but, along the lines of: "There's a fine line between insanity and high levels of intelligence". However insanity seems too absolute and genius, only the select few among the intelligent. The fact is that anyone with an above average to high level of intelligence is likely to be dangerously close to or very likely immersed in some form of mental -disorder and/or -illness. I don't mean those simply with lots of general knowledge, though some of those are very intelligent too there are some who are no more than averagely intelligent who happen to retain a lot of general knowledge....I'm neither saying that; a) everyone who is known for their knowledge of many a "useless" fact (you know him/her lol) cannot also be intelligent...quite a lot are likely to be. Nor am i saying; b)that those who are unintelligent can't be mentally ill. Right cleared that up. So yea, it seems likely that those with an analytical and creative mind....a mind with the ability to "see what others just can't"...are, by their very nature, very likely to suffer with anything from Anxiety all the way up to the most devastating mental illnesses. Many may have such a disorder that seems to go away as long as they are working in a field that suits their specific intelligence/talents...even genius for some... and as long as they are working often (which raises the interesting point: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder may perhaps go undiagnosed in some who's obsession is such that it focuses...say...98% on their field of work, and they just appear motivated,ambitious and a "work-aholic").

I've had doctors say that some of the best surgeons must fit the criteria for NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder), as well as some other PD (personality disorders), in order to both be as brilliant as they are and as able to handle the difficult, emotionally challenging, perhaps "gory" is a correct word, job they do...a job that would just ruin some who didn't have what would be considered personality disorders if the ones with the PD hadn't found such a perfect niche and a job that benefits the lives of so many...as opposed to being PD sufferers who just spiral into a world where they hurt themselves,others, are despised for their ego and ability to detach e.t.c.

There are many careers where a little "madness" goes a long way, in film, music,science in fact, perhaps in ANYTHING. This leads me to think there's not just a fine line between genius and "insanity" but in fact A FINE LINE BETWEEN THOSE WHO BECOME PATIENTS AND/OR SUFFERERS OF MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES AND THOSE WHO FIND A WAY TO USE THEIR GIFT/CURSE-CURSE/GIFT IN SUCH A WAY THAT THEY BECOME PIONEERS, BECOME LEADERS, BECOME OUTSTANDING IN THEIR FIELD (you all thinking of the scarecrow joke now right?) BECOME THE BEST OF THE BEST IN ANY AREA FROM WHAT SOME MAY CALL "MENIAL" JOBS UPTO GOOD CAREERS UPTO AWESOME,DREAM CAREERS....PERHAPS IT IS POSSIBLE THAT JUST ABOUT ANY CAREER COULD FIT THIS...OR RATHER: THAT THERE IS SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, WITH SOMETHING THAT COULD SPIRAL DOWN INTO AN ILLNESS BUT ALSO COULD SPIRAL UP BECAUSE IT IS EXACTLY THE GIFT NEEDED FOR SUCCESS IN A PARTICULAR FIELD IF IT'S "OWNER" DISCOVERS AND WORKS AT THAT FIELD, BUT ALSO IT IS EXACTLY THE CURSE NEEDED TO MAKE SOMEONE SUFFER SO MUCH WITH A PARTICULAR ILLNESS OR DISORDER IF THEY LET IT OR, SUFFER A TRIGGER POINT OR, DON'T REALISE WHAT PATH THEY SHOULD TAKE OR SUFFER SEVERE PERSONAL TRAGEDY OR,...ANY NUMBER OF THINGS...AND THE GIFT TURNS TO CURSE AND EATS AWAY AT THEM AND THEY ARE UNAWARE OF THE FACT IT HAS AN OUTLET. THIS IS BOTH A WORRYING AND HOPEFUL THOUGHT BECAUSE PERHAPS BOTH THE SUFFERER OF CURSE OR BENEFICIARY OF GIFT ARE UNAWARE THAT THEIR SPIRAL COULD HEAD UPWARDS OR DOWNWARDS AT ANY POINT IF THEY MAKE A GROUP OF RIGHT/WRONG MOVES. ANYHOOOO WHATEVER, I was just thinking...if you read all this, thank you  and sorry.
© Copyright 2014 Joshua (janarchy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1987461-GENIUS-AND-INSANITY