*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1990192-Plant-Cell-Anatomy
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #1990192
Cell is fundamental unit of life and the plant cells are distinct from the animal cells.
Plant cells are distinct from the animal cells by having rigid and thick cell wall. The following is the description of the terms related to plant cell anatomy.

Amyloplast

This plant cell organelle is known to store starch. Amyloplasts are available in starchy plants such as fruits and tubers.

ATP

Adenosine tri phosphate or ATP is the energy molecule that is used for storing energy in the organisms. ATP is synthesized in the mitochondria and chloroplasts.

Cell membrane

This is the membrane of the cell comprising the proteins and fats and that which is present inside the cell wall.

Cell wall

The rigid and thick membrane that surrounds the plant cell is called as cell wall.

Centrosome

Centrosome is also called as microtubule organizing center. Microtubules are made in the centrosomes. The Centrosome has a dense center and radiating tubules.

Chlorophyll

It is the molecule that consumes energy to convert carbon-dioxide and water into oxygen and sugar through a process of photosynthesis. Chlorophyll has magnesium and is usually green.

Chloroplast

Disc shaped and elongated cell organelle that consists of chlorophyll. The conversion of light energy to chemical energy through photosynthesis is carried out in the chloroplasts.

Cristae

These are finger like structures seen on the inner surface of the mitochondrial membrane of the cell. The energy or ATP production in the cell takes place on the walls of the cristae.

Cytoplasm

The area outside the nucleus where the organelles are situated is the cytoplasm. It is a jelly like material.

Golgi body

This is otherwise called as Golgi complex or Golgi apparatus. This is a layered as well as a flattened structure that is situated near the nucleus. It appears as a stack of pancakes and it packs carbohydrates and proteins into vesicles that are membrane bound. These vesicles are later sent out from the cell.

Granum

This is a collection of thylakoid disks present inside the chloroplast.

Mitochondrion

These are rod-shaped or spherical organelles possessing double membrane. The inner membrane is folded towards inside forming cristae. The energy present in glucose is given to the cell in the form of ATP by the mitochondrion.

Nuclear membrane

This is the membrane that environs the nucleus.

Nucleolus

This is the organelle inside the nucleus which is also the place of synthesis of rRNA.

Nucleus

It is the spherical body that consists of nucleolus. It regulates the cell functions and it contains DNA. The nucleus is bounded by nuclear membrane.

Ribosome

These are small organelles consisting of RNA rich cytoplasmic granules and they are organelles that synthesize proteins.

Rough endoplasmic reticulum

It is an infolded, membranous and interconnected structures present in the cytoplasm. ER is found to be in continuation with the outer membrane. The ER is described as rough since it is covered with ribosomes.

Smooth endoplasmic reticulum

It is also an interconnected, infolded, membranous tubular structure in the cytoplasm. It has ER lumen which helps in the transport of materials in the cytoplasm. SER consists of enzymes and helps in the production and digestion of fats and membrane proteins. The rough ER give rise to smooth ER transporting the proteins and lipids that are synthesized newly, to the membrane and golgi bodies.

Vacuole

It is the membrane bound organelle inside the plant cell, which is filled with fluid. Most of the plant cells have vacuole that occupy almost the entire cell. Vacuole is known to maintain the cell shape.

Thylakoids and stroma are parts of chloroplast. Thylakoids are disks present in the chloroplast which act as sites of photosynthesis. Stroma is the space between the grana of thylakoids and present inside the chloroplast membrane.
© Copyright 2014 Hareepriyaw alias Haripriya (jahnaviabhi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1990192-Plant-Cell-Anatomy