*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991106-Marians-Choice
by jverne
Rated: 13+ · Other · Cultural · #1991106
Marian chose Julie for a big responsibility. What will she do?
I'm not sure she knows what she's getting herself into," Jane said.  "It's a big thing to take on that's for sure," Lynn agreed.  "Julie isn't exactly the most stable person.

Terry and Julie walked in the kitchen.  "I feel like we're missing something.  What were you two just talking about?"  Julie asked.  "I'm not sure this is the best time for you to be taking on added responsibility."  Jane replied.

"So what am I supposed to do?  Let her go to those people?  Have you forgotten they raised a murderer?"  Jane, Terry and Lynn all looked at one another guiltily.  "Of course not!"  They replied in unison.  "Maybe they can find another relative," Terry suggested.  "There is no one else, that's why Marian chose me."  Julie countered.  "She didn't want Livy with them and she didn't want Livy to end up with strangers."  Sounding firm in her resolve to her sisters, Julie did her best to hide the abject terror she felt at taking on guardianship of a five month old.

Less than 48 hours ago Julie had learned that her best friend, Marian, had been stabbed to death when her ex-boyfriend violated the restraining order and made good on his threat to take their daughter.  Diego had been picked up less than 3 hours later and the baby was taken by children's services.  Livy now sat in back seat the social worker's car on her way to Julie's house.

The doorbell rang.  Julie strode to the front door, her face playing out the mixed emotions of grief, fear and hope.  The door opened and there was Livy, smiling up at her from her car seat tucked in the social worker's arm.  One look at the little cherub and their fate was sealed.



© Copyright 2014 jverne (julieclooney at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991106-Marians-Choice