*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991408-Moving
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Drama · #1991408
A new town, a new job, a new life... or so she hopes.
She was peering through the window, counting the cars as they went by, wondering what she was going to do now she had left all she had ever known and was all alone in the big city, 37, 38, 39... and they kept coming. Had she just made the biggest mistake of her life? No of course no had she stayed where she was there was going to be no escape from her past. 49, 50, 51... no this was the best for everyone involved, even though she was the only one that was suffering from the solution that she had come up with.
         "Ma'am we're here," she was startled by the voice of Keith the gruff man that she was sharing the cab of the moving van with. He had barely spoken throughout the six and a half hour drive. She peered back through the window of the truck at a cute little cottage style home with a small yard that was laced with a white picket fence, maybe this wasn't going to be so bad, and as she thought about the idea of her life finally starting to go back to a sense of normalcy she felt a smile creep onto her face, this is the first smile that has crossed her face in the past couple of months.
         Before she knew it Keith was at her door opening it and offering a hand to help her out of the truck.
         "Well thank you Keith"
         "You're welcome ma'am, was the ride ok for ya?
         "Yes it was fine, you did a fabulous job, and Keith you can call me Rory."
         "Oh, ok Rory" he says hesitantly "well I believe that is your new home," Keith says while nodding towards the small cottage home that Rory had been daydreaming of for the past few minutes. "Are you ready to see your new home?"
         "You have no idea how ready I am for this!"
And with that he grabs a dolly and with a couple of boxes containing some of her belongings and follows Rory up to the front door and follows her into the open and very bare living room. She had already had some of the larger furniture put in the house but she didn't have a whole lot so the room still seemed rather empty. Keith walks past her heading into the kitchen and dining room area that is just off from the living room. Keith waked back out the door to get more boxes so with that she walked down the hall to explore the rest of her new home. She quickly came to a room on the left that had a big open window with a reading bench, she turned and walked back out into the hall and farther down she turned into what would she would make her room, it had on a box springs and mattress sitting on the floor she walked over to them and flopped down on them, it was nice to have a sense of familiarity in what was now her strange new life. She took a deep breath in and laid her hands lightly onto of her stomach and closed her eyes, this is all for you little one, she thought, all for you.
         "Ehhemm" Keith was standing in the doorway, how long had he been standing there?
         "Oh sorry, just relaxing a bit."
         "It's fine there were just a few boxes that I wasn't sure where you wanted them."
         "Ok, let me come look at them at well see what we can do."
         She followed Keith through the hall into the living room where he had neatly stacked 6 boxes against the wall, Rory knelt down an open the first box and pulled out a yellow striped newborn sleep suit, she stared at the clothing for a moment, then dropped it back into the box and turned to Keith
         "You know what how about you go ahead and head back I can take care of these last few boxes you've done so much already. And I know that you have a long drive back home. So go ahead I've got it all under control here."          
He seemed hesitant at first "Are you sure Rory I really don't mind"
         "Yeah, go ahead. I've got it all under control."
         "Alright then I'll head out, enjoy your new home Rory, both of you." He nods towards my stomach, then walks towards the door.


© Copyright 2014 herlovelycurves (gmhuey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991408-Moving