*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991501-SEAHENGE
Rated: 18+ · Other · Romance/Love · #1991501
What would you do if you fell through time?
CHAPTER ONE

Present Day, England



“I’m losing my mind. I swear to God I am!” Glynis muttered, impatiently shrugging a black linen blazer over her white cotton t-shirt and snug jeans. Squaring her shoulders she sighed so heavily the force of her breath stirring the wispy auburn bangs on her forehead. “Damn, now where is the bloody thing?” Frantically she gave the room a once-over for her purse. It was never where she put it. If she didn't know any better she would think it capable of possessing legs and a very cruel sense of humor.

“Ha!” Spotting the brown leather strap peeking out from under the bed, Glynis rolled her eyes before bending down and yanking it out.

Three weeks. Three long weeks she had been in England. A majority of which she had spent worrying over her dwindling bank account, not to mention her dwindling sanity, the remainder of the time she seemed to spend trying to figure out why she was even here in the first place.

Rolling her eyes once again to the ceiling, Glynis shook her head. “What am I doing here?” Promptly she snapped her mouth shut. She was spending way too much time talking to herself lately. Way too much time.

Of course she knew why she was here, at least she thought she did. She was here because of a voice that lived inside her head telling her she must. Oh sure, they had all asked her why England, friends and co-workers alike, and Glynis had been unable to answer. In fact when asked she was never even able to say whether the voice was male or female, it was genderless. Simply a voice. And yet that had not stopped her from quitting her job, piling suitcases into her car boot and crossing the border from Wales into England.

Everyday since the voice had, at various times, grown progressively weaker the desperation of it’s tone mushrooming inside her head, sending her into small spurts of periodic panic.

Such as right now.

Glancing out the window Glynis noted the sun slowly climbing in the sky and shivered at the pink tinge, the early chill of morning hanging crisp in the air. How did that rhyme go? Pink sky in morning, sailors take warning?

Fact in point, it was the voice that had woken her, more anxious than she recalled having ever heard it before, setting the state of her nerves for the day, and now the sky was pink? Not good surely.

Impatiently tucking her t-shirt into her waistband, Glynis prayed the answers she longed for would finally be revealed and she could finally go back to Wales, to go back home. The last thing she wanted was to be stuck in England with a depleted bank account and no way home. She wanted her life back. Granted it wasn’t that exciting a life, but all the same she wanted it back.

Paramount even to that right now, she had to get out of this inn before the voice drove her flipping mad.

Glynis’ plan for the day was pretty straightforward. She would simply get in her car and drive. Mentally she admitted it wasn’t much of a plan at all but it was the only one she had. Besides, as irrational as it sounded, without hesitation she knew the voice within her head would guide her. After all, it had brought her this far.

Hours later and more concerned with finding a place to grab a quick lunch than her surroundings, Glynis nearly drove straight pass the unassuming set of massive wrought iron gates leading into a picturesque public garden. As though in slow motion her head swiveled, staring at them in some amazement. The voice on the other hand, wasn't quite so subtle, it screamed full volume at her to stop.

Her brakes squealing as she practically stood up on them, caused the car following behind her to swerve, narrowly missing her rear bumper. But Glynis was beyond caring. As her heart hitched in her chest all she could think was, this was it!

The slam of a car door and the flamboyant gestures and graphic cursing of the incensed driver behind her blurred into the background as she sat still as stone gazing mutely at the gates. Light-headed and close to tears, Glynis continued to grip the steering wheel until her arms trembled.

This was where she was suppose to be. In this moment. At this time. But why? Who cared, she was here at last nothing else mattered.

Leaving her purse on the seat beside her, she absently grabbed the keys out of the ignition before reaching for the door handle. She was surprised to find herself nearly toppling to the asphalt as the door was rudely wrenched open by the irate driver.

“What the bloody hell do you think you’re doing lady?”

Startled at the man’s barely leashed anger, Glynis stared back at him baffled. Didn’t he get it? This was it! Excited about the garden and aggravated with the bristling stranger standing between her and the gates, Glynis made to push past him.

Men could be so irritating.

“Oi, you can’t just abandon your car in the middle of the road! Are you unbalanced lady? You’re blocking traffic!” Furiously he indicated the line of cars halted behind them, several with horns blaring.

Without hesitation Glynis pushed the keys to her car into his hand before nudging by him and leaving him standing speechless, staring down at his hand. Not giving him a chance to stop her, she hurried into the garden, feeling satisfaction only after the tall gates squeaked close behind her.

Once inside Peace lifted her, causing a smile to spread across her face as she took a deep breath. The air sweet and fresh.

Knowing she had never been here before, having left Wales for the first time in her entire twenty-seven years only three weeks before, Glynis was jolted by the excitement of familiarity sweeping over her. The feeling so tangible she could mentally track the warm glow suffusing through her. Unnerving to say the least. The only other time she’d felt anything remotely similar had been two days ago when she had toured the ruins of what had been Castle Bainshire. The sensation had unsettled her then and it unsettled her now just thinking on it.

“Then stop thinking about it,” she muttered.

This time the breathe she took was shaky as she stared up at the cornflower blue of the English sky. She would have to be blind not to appreciate how it bled into the riotous splashes of color from the variety of flowers to the numerous people mingling throughout the scented grounds. It was truly lovely. Taking another deep cleansing breath and with a pulse pounding certainty, Glynis allowed the voice free reign over her mind as it pushed her to follow the multi-hued shrubs lining the narrow path before her.

Animated, feeling as though she were finally reaching the end of what had felt like a long and arduous journey, Glynis was unable to stop a smile from spreading widely across her face. Finally, she was nearly….home? Definitely an odd consciousness, for her home was very much in Conwy, North Wales.

Her steps gradually slowing as, frowning, she neared a curvature of tall foliage. Glynis felt the warm fuzzy feeling of home all but abandon her as rapidly as it had consumed her, quickly replaced with the thinnest sliver of dread. Oh, she did not like this feeling at all. Where the hell had that come from?

What now?

The subconscious familiarity of childhood, that part of her that had always felt lonely and somewhat lost, unexpectedly rose up overwhelming her and her steps faltered to a halt. Those occasions in her past had always left her bereft, confused and with feelings of depressing isolation. That she didn't belong anywhere in her own life. Feelings which had followed her, unfortunately, into adult-hood it would seem for they consumed her now. She had long thought she had passed that point in her life.

Then without warning the voice detached itself, deserting her.

Refusing to panic, for it had led her here for a reason, Glynis’ every instinct screamed that around this meander in an otherwise immaculate estate garden, would be the answers she sought. It was also so preposterous a notion that Glynis did not even want to speculate where so romantic an observation had even come from. Pure foolishness on her part. . . .or was it?

Squeezing her eyes shut she tried moving beyond the fearful curiosity cocooning around her, the air fairly vibrating with it. Clearing her mind, as best she could, she instead tried desperately to concentrate on the voice and not the panic growing inside her.

After several seconds, irritably, Glynis let out a sigh. There were times when she could just be so pathetic.

A sudden disturbing anxiety froze her, her stomach clenching. Wait, this wasn't right. The voice was now barely discernable and then snap, it was completely gone! Only the sound of birds and children's squeals of laughter filling her head.

“No!” she whispered, a maelstrom of emotions slamming into her.

Having lost so much in her life that she had held precious, Glynis did not wish to lose this as well. People may say she was barmy, and had on numerous occasions, but the voice was all she had left that was truly and wholly hers and she was not prepared to lose it. Not yet.

“Focus, Glynis! Focus!” she muttered, stealing herself to quiet her riotous mind, ignoring the outside noises of the day.

Drawing another deep breath she willed the voice to speak to her, to scream at her, she didn't care which. Only eerie silence filled her head. Frowning in concentration she quickly accepted the truth, her shoulders slumping. With the pit of her stomach churning she knew it no longer hid with-in her mind as it was want to do on the odd occasion. It had truly vanished. Her mind remaining silent, as though the voice had never even existed.

Now eyes wide open; Glynis gawped at her surroundings expecting to see the voice running carefree as a wood nymph over the trees and grass. She couldn't believe that after all this time it had deserted her? Now what was she to do?

The garden was teeming with families and lovers, the laughter of children and couples drifting on the air, yet Glynis suffered an unfathomable isolation at her unexpected loss. Her sense of misery so piercing as to be a physical pain. Her steps slowed before a crook of tall foliage. Until now she had been unaware that her feet had even continued to propel her forward, the air around her vibrating as a splinter of panic embedded itself deep inside her. And it felt as though the air began to physically hum against the nerve-endings just beneath her skin causing her to shiver. It was definitely not a soothing sensation, more like unnatural. Beyond creepy.

That sense of all encompassing loneliness she’d never been able to completely shake as she was growing up, now overwhelming her. Cursing, Glynis managed to catch herself as she stumbled to a halt. She couldn’t begin to reason why those feelings so long buried, would consume her now and here at this moment. Or even why she’d grown up having moments when she had felt as though her heart were breaking. Always the occasions leaving her bereft and with the same sensation of separation she was experiencing now. But why now? She was no longer a child but a woman grown. Grimacing, she let out a shaky laugh, a grown woman who was insane enough to hear a voice in her head and think it was nothing to be institutionalized for.

“Oh God, it is true I’m barmy.”

Taking several more breaths to help steady her racing heart, Glynis fought against the ridiculous reminiscent ache in her chest. She had not felt this depth of devastation since the deaths of her mother and stepfather six years before. Ironically it had been six years ago that the voice had first come to her, bringing with it six years of comfort when she had most needed it. Why had she not made the connection before? Glynis could guess why, because at the time she had been so grateful for the six years of comfort it had brought to her life that she had not questioned it.

And now it had abandoned her.

Every instinct in her five foot five frame told her that around the meander before her, in an otherwise flawless garden path, would be the answers she sought. And she needed those answers.

So, squeezing her eyes shut against the fearful curiosity enveloping her, Glynis shook her head hoping to clear her mind and concentrate, though blocking out the growing panic settling inside her was proving near impossible.

Why would the voice even bring her here in the first place? Why now in her life? Why at all? Questions, questions. Six years of bloody questions! Enough was enough, damn it! Opening her eyes Glynis squared her shoulders. After all, what could possibly happen in broad daylight for pity sake, she was enclosed within an aged garden with countless other people?

Dropping her chin to her chest, Glynis shook her head in disgust. More questions! Did they never end? “Oh come on Glynis, for the sake of St. David, what are you afraid of?” she mumbled shakily before silently pledging to bring a friend next time so as not to be caught talking to herself. She was becoming psychotic.

Weariness of the past few days set in as raising her head she stared at the greenery before her. Something was waiting for her around this elbow of shrubs and wasn't that the imperative thing? Was that not why she had travelled all this way? As much as she wanted to cringe and turn flight from the confrontation, Glynis knew in her heart she could not walk away, not now, not this time. Not when she had waited so long for the answers and come so far. Call it Fate, even Destiny; she would not rest until she saw what lie beyond. To not do so would forever haunt her.

So with iron clad control, Glynis forced her stomach to settle then clenching her jaw she began moving forward before she could think to change her mind and run in the opposite direction. Which was more tempting with every second she stood debating.

A coward she was not. Slowly rounding the tall shrubbery she came to an abrupt halt, her eyes widening in awe.

That was it?

Not sure just what she had been expecting, the quaint and antiquated stone bridge stretching before her assuredly had not been it. She had not expected to find such beauty. It was absolutely enchanting. Other than a few noticeable time ravaged places where rock had worn away to crumble into the water below, the bridge appeared untouched by the continuance of time. With ivy draping from its stones and water gently lapping beneath its arch it certainly looked innocent enough.

“Oh, well then.”

So unreal in its breathtaking simplicity, for a moment Glynis truly wondered if it were real. Why in the world would the voice bring her here? It didn’t make any sense what so ever.

The bright red caution sign in the center of the path did not slow her, Glynis simply stepped around it, fine gravel crunching beneath her trainers as a tranquil feeling of peace uncoiled in the pit of her stomach, squashing whatever panic she had been feeling. That was more like it. But then two steps onto the bridge and the glow immediately vanished.

In the time it took to blink Glynis no longer saw the bridge through gilded eyes but saw it as it was, crumbling and potentially unsafe. Indecision and foreboding gripped her as a queasy numbness settled causing an unexpected light-headedness making her shiver uncontrollably, her feet remaining planted.

What the bloody hell is going on? Her breathing coming faster and more shallow. No wonder she was light-headed, she was going to hyperventilate if she didn’t calm her breathing.

Perplexed at not being able to do so natural a thing as breath properly, Glynis stared down at her feet in horror as they began, of their own volition, to propel her to the center of the bridges unsafe arch. Glancing up she shivered, a chill traversing her spine. “What the. . . .” In fascination she watched the sun rapidly slide behind a monstrous cloak of ominous clouds that literally rolled in from out of nowhere. I’m in a bloody sci-fi show! Oh now, that just could not be normal. A staggering and biting wind followed, freezing the breath in her lungs, as the unexpected glacial rush struck her in the face, lifting her hair about her head in an skin crawling swoosh of motion. For the first time in her life, Glynis found herself paralyzed with fear.

Oh beloved St. David, what was happening?

With the fine hairs twitching on her head and arms and an unexpected rush of restless energy nudging her from behind, had her glancing uneasily over her shoulder. Nothing stood visible to her eyes, but something was there just beyond the naked eye, she just knew it. Glynis would bet her life on it. Whatever it was, it was concentrated on her. Literally she could feel its animosity wrapping tightly around her.

Before she could give voice to the scream welling in her throat, that same supernatural intensity struck her between the shoulder blades. The force of the blow sending her teetering off balance and toppling her over the side of the bridge.

Liquid cold sucked the very breath from her lungs as Glynis hit the water as though she had fallen from a greater height than where she had stood.

Wet blackness at once swirled eagerly, claiming her.





“Momma!” The cherubic boy with blonde curls tugged frantically on the corner of his mother’s cardigan. “That lady’s falled into the water.”

Turning at her sons initial tug on her clothing, his mother was in time to witness an auburn haired woman sink beneath the waters placid façade. Glancing around she spotted her husband and began waving madly at him.

“William! William, a girl’s fallen in!” Then snatching up their son, at the same time pointing in the direction of the ancient bridge, she hurried across the rolling expanse of manicured lawn toward the water.

Heads turned in curiosity as her husband dropped the ice-cream cones he carried, discarded his shoes and sweater and sprinted around various people to reach the water's edge. Without a thought to his own safety, he was thigh deep and striking out toward the center of the bridge before the last of the ripples had disappeared.





England 1355 ~



Reigning in his destrier with an unaccustomed yank, Edward scowled.

From out of nowhere a young woman hit the water before him with a mighty splash, disappearing to sink like a rock beneath the surface. Squinting at the heavens Edward frowned. From where had she fallen?

Removing his visor and close fitting scull cap, Edward plunked it onto the horn of his saddle in front of his groin and continued to sit upon his restless warhorse.

The journey from London had been fast and tedious, he had no wish for delay now. Jerking his maile gauntlets from his large hands he proceeded to tuck them into the side of the leather belt holding his sword sheath. For a moment the idea played in his head that perhaps when the maid surfaced, and only if she were pleasing to the eye to behold, she would be inclined to warm his loins with a quick mating in the tall grass.

Once again he scowled at the dissipating ripples. Odd, she did not appear to have intentions of resurfacing. Standing in his stirrups, Edward glowered at the stirring water. Then with a gusty sigh he swung his leg over the back of his horse’s rump bounding to the ground before striding curiously to the water’s edge. Naught. Cursing, he slung off his heavy mantel before wading into the frigid wetness. Submerging his hands he felt around until the touch of her hair brushed against his questing fingers. With a grunt of triumph Edward grasped a handful and began to drag the maid from her potentially watery grave. Without warning a formidable tug wrenched him off balance, toppling him headfirst and Edward found himself having to struggle against the weight of his own chain mailed hauberk.





Present Day England~



It was William’s second good Samaritan dive before he finally managed to visibly see what appeared to be a murky object in the depths to the right of him. Grabbing hold, then feeling his way, he was able to grasp the woman about the waist. Once surfaced he kicked for the shore when without warning a vicious pull dragged them both beneath the cold water, the light from above diminishing as they were drawn deeper.

Lungs burning, William fought for the surface when as unexpectedly as the dragging began it ceased and they floated free. The murky darkness once again brightening: soon he was able to make out the clouds beyond, weaving with the disturbance of the water around them.





England 1355~



Edward, not recognizing the word surrender, yanked on the damsel’s hair as his feet found purchase. He had never lost a battle in his life and a mere female was not about to best him and win this one.

Gripping her like a vice under the breasts, he dragged her from the water and onto the grassy embankment before lowering her onto her stomach then hunkering down beside her, he turned her over.

With water sluicing off his body, dripping onto the still form of the maid he bent over, Edward wondered if he was too late? One slim arm rested limply across fully rounded breasts and her face, though turned toward him, was obstructed by a nest of dark sopping hair. She showed no signs of life.

More than intrigued by the heavenly body he saw now lying on the grass and had felt when dragging her from the water, Edward found himself curious to see the face of such a body. Gently moving the tangle of hair out of her face, Edward's eyes fell on the maid’s pale features.

Disbelief and shock slammed into him, causing him to curse harshly before rocking back on his heels.

His ghost in the flesh!

What trickery was this? Edward tensed, fully alert. The sound of metal on metal grating as he drew his sword from it’s sheath. Crouching low, his eyes scanned the denseness of the trees. Listening. Watching. Waiting.

With a rasping gasp, Glynis began painfully sucking air into her lungs, oblivious to the man who tumbled to the ground on his backside at her unexpected show of life.

Rolling to her side, she began spitting up fluid with a vengeance. She couldn’t seem to get enough air into her burning lungs quick enough and trying to inhale and spit at the same time was only causing her to rasp horribly.

The first object she saw as she finally opened her eyes was a roughly hewn leather boot next to her head. But before her gaze could travel the leg attached, nausea rose in her throat.

Oh God! She was going to throw up in front of a total stranger!

Awkwardly stumbling to her feet, Glynis barely managed to trip her way to a massive tree before emptying what little stomach contents she had. As the retching ceased and her stomach rolled she gave a wretched sob, sagging weakly to the ground with a wet squelch.





Present Day England~



At last reaching solid ground, William was never so ecstatic to touch ground in his life.

“Here mate, let me help.” A young man with ginger hair lifted the woman from his arms, laying her with great care on the grass several feet away. “She’s breathing, only barely. Help should be here right quick. Are you alright?”

William could only nod that he was fine. For a man who had nearly lost his life, yeah he was doing just great.

“Will!” His wife’s arms grasping him as she showered kisses across his face. “I didn’t think you were going to come up in time.”

As his son crawled into his sodden lap, William hugged him with one arm while grasping his wife tightly with the other.

“Bleedin’ hell!”

Turning at the outburst they stared at where the unconscious woman lay upon the ground, stunned and disbelieving as her image wavered and then simply faded as though she had never existed.

An area of water where her body had lain was all that remained.



© Copyright 2014 writingjuanita (bonniejd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1991501-SEAHENGE