*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1992365-Monster-chapter-1Foolish
by Prince
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Death · #1992365
A new book that i will be working on. Review's would be absolutely amazing.
Looking at myself in the mirror, I understood why everyone in my new school as well as in the past had thought of me as a freak. Pale skin, deep bags under my eyes, and jet black hair, this is what I Jake Holan at the age of 12 looked like. Three weeks into high school and everyone seemed to click, instantly making friends among each other, everyone except me. People avoided me due to my appearance, calling me freak and ghost, it made me feel like shit. It's not like I could argue let alone talk to them, I suffered from a disorder called social anxiety. Unable to properly hold a conversation with strangers I've never had a single friend throughout my life so far. There were only a few amounts of people in my life who cared about me, although their numbers could be counted with one hand.

"Jake, come down and eat already lazy idiot" my sister, Elenna, who was four years older than me attending an all-girls school and was one of the few people who care about me, or so I think.

"Stop shouting you loud mouth" my mother scolded Elenna, she always did. She was always protective of me; I really loved her from the bottom of my heart.

Putting on a smile, I yelled back "I'm coming, just wait"

The dining table was set up with egg and toast for breakfast. My father, who worked as an average salary man was happily eating away. He was always strangely so happy and enthusiastic, even to strangers, the complete opposite of me.

"Yet another fine day isn't it my lovely family!" my father smiled, mouth full with eggs and toast which looked disgusting as he spoke.

"Ew. Dad, seriously, learns to swallow then talk" Elenna spoke with a disgusted expression spread across her face.

"Please, I can enjoy both talking and eating at the same time. Why do both separately" my father smiled, mouth still filled with food.

"Because it's bloody disgusting." Mother replied, smacking dad right on the backside of his head which made, making him spit out a portion of his food.

This put a smile on my face, which was followed by the rest of my family. This was the time I could enjoy happily with the people I love. The time I would get before plummeting into darkness, alone.

"Let's get a move on, don't want to be late you two!" mum shouted, prompting us to hurry up into the car.

Entering the car along with my Elenna, I took the back seat while she took the front. The car rides in the morning was usually spent with classical music coming from the radio while my sister listened to her own music through her earphones as well as texting and occasionally giggling. Today was no different than the usual.

We arrived at my school; St. Mary's was posted on top of the black gates which served as the entrance to my school. Exiting the car my mum spoke "has a fun day at school honey." "I will mum." I replied with a smile as she blew a goodbye kiss.

As the car drove off disappearing into the distance, I turned around to face my daily fate which I would be victim to for years to come. Walking into the buildings, I suffered under the gaze of students whispering amongst each as I passed them. Most likely they were talking about how scary or filthy I was.

Entering my classroom, 7 white, I was instantly targeted by the eyes of my fellow classmates. They, like the others began whispering to each other, as if I was some sort of disease which was only to be talked about in secret.

I hated this, this feeling of isolation and loneliness, but what could I do? I didn't have the courage to talk to anyone here as well as being unable to speak louder than a whisper when the teachers ask me to answer a question.

As class started, students began pouring in taking their seats books at the ready for the daily routine of classes and learning to begin. A lot of people hated and hate school; I am no different although mostly for them it's because of all the learning, which abnormally liked most about school. I would always study, never indulging in video games or surfing the internet like many kids nowadays do. This is who I was, creepy, nerdy and non-talkative, so badly did I want to change myself yet I never attempt to.

After an hour and forty minutes of English and Math, the bell rang signifying the start of lunch. Fellow classmates flocked to each other, happily talking between each person about how boring the class was or what they did the other day.

I was staring at them, observing them, listening in on their talk monitoring their actions. A group of girls noticed me eyeing them. Most likely they believed I was checking them out, which most males would be doing. Showing disgusted looks, I felt a flush of embarrassment flow through my head. Standing up, I left the room taking a one of two ham sandwiches my mum had packed for my lunch.

Eating by myself on a bench surrounded by the endless chatter of students, I looked towards the vast blue sky, quietly awaiting the end of lunch.

Next came P.E which was Physical Education, an area I majorly lacked in. As we did warm ups, I was unable to keep up with the majority of the class, jogging at the very back only meters away from the slowest person who was an overweight kid, but at least he had friends. Exhausted, I was unable to properly catch my breath when we began volleyball. Separated into two courts, the whole class was able to participate. Each time the ball came flying down in my direction, each time I was unable to hit it. I flinched as it came crashing down and was slow to react to its positioning. Our side had lost, 3 sets to 0, I could hear the rest of my team whispering about how sluggish and bad I was at sports. They were frustrated about losing, who wouldn't be? Not being able to win a single set.

Lunch came once again, and I again sat on the bench staring deeply into the sky alone with my thoughts and constant noise. Awaiting the next class I kept to myself, alone and depressed.

School ended and kids began pouring out, leaving and heading out towards home or going someplace with their friends. Waiting for my mum to pick me up, I heard a fellow student say my name "Jake is so creepy. He looks like he came out from a horror movie." Louis said "I know right! Plus he has no friends. Talk about complete loser. Probably cuts himself too." Another classmate laughed.

Tears began welling in my eyes, unable to control them they began pouring down, each droplet colliding with the concrete ground. Needing to a way to escape, I ran, ran forward as if there was no tomorrow tears still streaming out.

I found myself in an empty park, exhausted and depressed I sat on one of the two swings. Gliding through the air with the help of the swing, I felt the cool air touch my skin, calming me down and making me feel at peace.

My phone began to vibrate; taking it out the caller was my mum. I lowered my thumb to the answer button but stopped, inches away from the answer button I shut off my phone. I needed some time by myself, some time to get myself together.

Looking towards the sky, I lost track of time. Had many minutes had pass? 10, 30, an hour, I didn't really care. "Hi there." An unfamiliar voice spoke, surprised I looked to my right to see a bald man with scars covering his face.
Shocked, I was unable to reply "you okay? What's wrong, is my appearance scaring you?" he looked saddened. Shaking my head I opened my mouth "not at all..." I whispered. He raised an eyebrow "Couldn't hear you there mate, wanna repeat that." My heart was beating fast; despite his menacing look he seemed to be a nice guy. "Not at all, it's just I'm surprised." I spoke in a much louder voice. His expression shifted into a smiling, showing white teeth "Don't worry, I don't bite or nothing like that" I was happy, happy that he smiled, happy that he was talking to me, happy that there were people like this.

"My name's Ryan. I got these scars in a war if yer wondering." He said, still smiling. "My names Jake." I replied.

"Nice to meet ya Jake, do me a favour and hang out with his lonely old man?" he insulted himself, bringing a slight smile to my face.

"Sure, I guess." I said happily.

We spent the next hour idly talking to each other, despite our vast age difference that didn't stop us about talking about our lives. This is what it was like to talk with a friend, it was different than talking with a family member, you didn't spend your entire life with them and there was so much to find out about them.

"It's getting late now." Ryan spoke.

"Yeah, I guess I should head home" I said with a hint of disappointment in my voice.

"Y'know, I'm going to go feed ducks tomorrow. Mind joining me?" he said with a smile.

This brought joy to me "sure" I smiled.

"Meet again here then, same time" Ryan prepared.

"Sure." I acknowledged.

Walking home, I felt extremely happy making a friend for the first time in my life. He didn't seem to care about my looks, which most people including adults seemed to. In today's society, if you didn't look average you'd most of the time be shunned and considered weird and creepy by others.
Entering my house, I heard a huge shout "Jake! Where have you been for the past hour" my mum yelled.

I had forgotten, my mum had called me before, obviously to find out where I was "why weren't you waiting at the usual place?" she questioned.

"I, uhhh, had to do something" I lied with a crooked voice. They probably wouldn't allow me to hang out with strangers plus they didn't know about my problem at school.

"Next time, answer your phone or tell me beforehand. You never did this before I was worried sick. I waited half an hour for you to come!" mum lectured with a harsh tone, like any other mother would.

With that, I ate dinner. My sister was absent from the dinner table, she was most likely out with her friends, like she always was. She would come home around eight then my mum would lecture her about staying out, then she would say she wouldn't do it again only for Elenna to do it again a week later.

Heading to my room, I began studying. Despite the encounter with Ryan, not much else had changed my daily routine of dinner and studying still remained. But still, I was happy.

The next day came, and I felt pumped. Although I would have to go through the ordeal of school, it would be a small sacrifice. I could once again hang out with a friend.

During the car daily car trip I announced my activity "Mum, I'm going be out with friends after school so I might come home late."

"Okay... just don't turn out like your sister; I want to at least have one pure child" mum's reply made Elenna roll her eyes which I saw through the small car mirror.

Another day of school meant another day of torture. Once again feeling the gazes of other students and their whispers, I endured. After yet another long day, the bell rung, happy I burst out of the school running towards the park.

There he was again, holding a white bag filled with bags of bread. We walked along the river feeding bread to ducks, laughing with each other. Another day went by as I lay in bed; we promised to meet the next day to check out a new ice cream store. It may have been weird considering his age difference, but to the eyes of other's you'd probably think we were just father and son.
Days began to past, and each day that did I felt a sense of happiness as the days ended. He had been in a war, although we refuses to tell he says he was captured and given these scars but was rescued. He uses to have a wife and son but they left him, fearing his new appearance. I reminded him of his own son in a way, which is why he decided to talk to me.

I didn't tell him about my problems at school, but I'd tell him about my family and how much fun we had together. Ryan began to ask what their ages were, like anyone else did but he started to ask even more questions. He started to ask what my house looked like, what the rooms were like, the locks on our doors and the people that visited us. I didn't pay much attention to this; I was too consumed by joy to care about whatever he asked.

"You mind if I visit your house?" Ryan asked. This shocked me, although I had visited Ryan's house a number of times, him visiting me could course a number of problems.

"I don't know..." I replied, "Ah, I just want to see what it's like, let me in during the night and we'll check out your room and then I'll leave" he said with a smile. I was unable to decline and foolishly accepted.

During the dead of night, around 12am when my family was all soundlessly sleeping, I opened the front door of my house to let Ryan in.

"Just check out my room then leave okay?" I said, panic in my tone.

"I know, I know. I need to go to the toilet first" he smiled. I couldn't believe this guy; even though he was my first friend I felt a hint on anger towards him.

I waited patiently in my room for his return. After a seemingly long time, around 10 minutes I decided to check on Ryan, mostly out of worry that we would be caught. Creeping along the floor, I noticed that the room to my parents room was open, a feat which my parents would never do if they were asleep.

Full of worry, I decided to check inside of the room. Slowly opening the door further, I prayed for both my parents to still be sleeping peacefully. As I glanced in, I saw a dark figure lingering amongst the shadows.

My eyes widened and my chest tightened. Two corpses laid on my parents bed, blood dripping everywhere and a dark figure towering over the corpses.
I made a panicked noise, which delivered the man's attention straight at me. He was wearing a long dark coat, just as Ryan was and a black hat as well as holding what seemed to be a knife. Fear shook my entire body, I was stuck unable to move or speak, only shake.

The figure began walking towards me, knife out it was only then that I was able to move. I walked backwards, slipping and tumbling down leaning on the wall. As the figure slowly walked towards me, I let out a loud yell. The figure moved faster raising his knife out, ready to cut me. Closing my eyes, hands out front I awaited my fate while screaming.

Hearing a loud crash, I opened my eyes to see bits of what use to be a vase full of flowers on the ground. The man was bleeding and squirming, "Let's go Jake!" it was Elenna; she threw the vase and screamed.

She grabbed me and attempted to make a dash for the stairs, her hand tightly gripping my arm. The figure quickly maneuverer himself and grabbed a hold of Elenna, grabbing her by the shoulder and throwing her towards the wall ripping me away from her.

"Elenna!" I shouted, fear ensuing every fibre of my body.

"Run Jake!" Elenna shouted.

The figure stabbed Elenna straight in the stomach, blood appearing rapidly through her clothes. I collapsed, captivated by fear I was unable to move or do anything. Crying ever so loudly, I could do nothing. The figure charged towards me, stabbing me straight in the gut.

For a few seconds I felt nothing, only see the red begin to drip out. The wound began to throb immensely which then turned an immense and unbearable pain. Screaming out, tears flowing I saw the figures face. The scars set everywhere, the absence of hair, it was Ryan.

I was unable to speak, shock, pain, fear, all these emotions controlled me. Ryan slowly pulled the blade out, raising it in the air, he was going for a second stab, and in that instant I saw a smile crawl across his face.

A loud bang came piercing through, causing my ears to hurt. Blood flowed from Ryan, he looked surprised and shocked. As he fell to the ground, I slowly turned to my right to see our neighbour Mr. Smith a policeman holding a gun, panic across is face.

Turning towards Elenna, I saw that she had still been breathing bringing a slight relief to me, slowly I closed my eyes.




























© Copyright 2014 Prince (loliskewlz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1992365-Monster-chapter-1Foolish