*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1993139-Maude
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1993139
Based on Christina Rossetti's Sister Maude poem.
“One more left!” said the younger of the two girls,

“No chance,” came the reply from her gangly companion. Both were referring to ‘That Place’ – the lone house, slap bang in the middle of manicured lawns, surrounded by flower beds which were now a riot of colours.

No-one went there; at least not by choice.

The two girls, more students, really, stopped in their tracks and debated the idea of calling. In the end they agreed to do so, the driving force behind this was a petition to present to the village hall in support of a park area using an abandoned field.

Walking softly, so as not to disrupt the dainty flowers, they approached, (cautiously) the majestic manor and froze, only for a moment, but that moment hovered and stayed for what seemed like an eternity. After this, not so brief interlude, Beatrix gathered her skirts, and her twin followed her to the door that towered above them. Beatrix reached for the big brass knocker, which was only just in her reach; it was set in the middle of a central door panel. She gently pulled it toward her and let it go. Knock. Knock. Knock. No reply…

The girls waited expectantly. After a minute or so, they turned on their heels to trudge back to the road via the long, meandering driveway, with Beatrix hiding her relief as she was secretly grateful that no-one appeared to be at home. Then: click! Click! Click! Bolts behind the seemingly unmoveable door slid back. On turning to face the door, the look of shock entered their eye. Especially in Maude’s, as a familiar figure stood before them.

“Vivien!!” exclaimed Beatrix,“Hello Beatrix” came the deep, resonating reply accompanied by a broad, warm, welcoming smile, showing whiter than white teeth, which seemed to sparkle in the radiance of the afternoon sun. “I. I don’t understand.”A warm, inviting reply ensued, “Why don’t you and your sister Maude come in and I’ll explain whilst I make you both some tea.” Both girls, although taken aback, graciously accepted and stepped over the threshold.

Beatrix was so utterly infatuated with Vivien that she found no time for others whilst in his presence. Maude resented this; more so as this was her time with her sister. Over the previous 18 months Maude had become insanely jealous of his closeness to Beatrix. Vivien, who was supposed to be away on business, was now actually here, in this house, in their village. How dare he! Vivien proceeded down a long, narrow, darkened hallway and opened a door at the end of it, which flooded the entire area with light. He walked through. The girls found themselves seated in a large, sunlit breakfast room whilst Vivien made haste with various tea making utensils.

They listened intently as he explained himself. He told them how his Grandmother Inez had passed away about a week ago, that he had come to live with his parents,“But where are your parents now?” inquired Maude. Maude was always inquisitive and easily wound up. She was impressionable; easily influenced. Getting over her surprise, as Vivien had never mentioned his family; Beatrix started to talk about their forthcoming engagement party. Maude listened, intrigued at first, and then lost interest. Her anger got the better of her. She did not like being ignored, even her query was not responded to. She became enraged. Intervening purposefully, Maude stated that she was peckish and asked if she could look around to prepare herself a bite to eat. After a smile and a nod from Vivien, indicating the door to the kitchen, Maude silently nodded back, sullenly. She left the two of “Them” talking excitedly and went in the direction indicated to her.

Her eyes took in the kitchen. Darting from cupboard to cupboard; resting finally upon the pantry door. Nervously, she unlatched the handle and peered inside, eyeing up the oak shelves, that were filling her nostrils with a warm, sensitive aroma. There were racks of home-made jams, pickles and chutneys. Different selections of teas met Maude’s eye, Earl Grey, Camomile, Peppermint and numerous others with exotic descriptions. But right at the back of the pantry, she spied an array of sauces and dressings; one in particular caught her attention. Situated on the left, she spotted a spicy pepper sauce.

Knowing full well that Vivien was allergic to peppers, a malevolent thought invaded and took hold of her fragile mind. She would serve up ham sandwiches with a smothering of the spicy pepper sauce that could easily be mistaken for any number of these other condiments available. Her sister threw her away! She would get rid of him! She continued to plot his demise, as with not a single hospital within 70 miles, it was certain that he should die from asphyxiation. The taste of sweet revenge consumed her entire being. Outwardly, however, Maude was completely calm, collected, composed. Invincible!

Thud!

Startled, Beatrix and Vivien looked up to see Maude beaming at them,“With all the plans you've been discussing and making, I thought you might like a snack. You must be famished! I know you must be Beatrix.”

With offers of thanks both Beatrix and Vivien helped themselves to a sandwich.One bite was all it took! Vivien’s eyes widened. He gasped. His hands flew to his throat as he struggled to breathe. In an instant, his complexion faded and he continued to pale as he toppled sideways. Landing on the stone floor, losing consciousness Beatrix jumped to her feet in alarm and immediately ran beside him, screaming his name,“Vivien! Vivien!” She tore his shirt apart, exposing his chest to ease the constraints of the fabric around his neck and chest, shouting to her sister for help. Maude merely looked on, basking in her own brilliance. She smugly sat, relishing the scene unfolding before her. Vivien, his eyes beginning to glaze, looked at Maude, whispering,“Sister Maude, O sister Maude, bide you with death and sin.” Losing consciousness completely, Beatrix cradled him in her arms, crying hysterically. Looking down upon his bare chest, weeping wildly, she saw a birthmark upon his left breast. At that moment, Vivien strode into the room, his face perplexed; eyebrows knitted together, showing heightened concern. “Victor! What the hell is-?Beatrix‽”

Beatrix’s head turned to where the voice emanated from, she gasped. “Vivien!! Help me!”
© Copyright 2014 Miss. Flagrant (missflagrant at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1993139-Maude