*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1993546-Finished-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Teen · #1993546
Will he give up his wish of being normal to save them?
The cries were deafening. Each moan, wail, wheeze, cry, inhuman utterance seemed to reach out to touch him. Even the screams far off at the end of the room pierced the boy’s ears with sheer clarity - as if everything was closing in on them in the dark room.
It was always the night hours that frightened the child the most - with the expanse even darker than usual, and the thought of no light invading his mind. The damp blackness penetrated the child’s entire being. He shook with apprehension as something scratched the bars of his cage and looked around desperately, curling into himself, moving closer to his companion.
“Mom… I’m scared,” a small voice whispered.
“It’s alright, Em---,” the woman patted her child’s head, directing a warm smile to the tiny shaking frame. “Do you want me to tell you the story again?”
Suddenly the child’s face lit up with joy. He eagerly nodded his head, urging his mother to tell the favorite of any story he has heard.
She laughed softly, “Okay, Em---.”
The child snuggled up next to her as she began, speaking gently with a lulling voice. “Once, there was a princess. She was a beautiful girl who ruled over a beautiful kingdom - lush lands full of life and happiness. Everyone loved the princess, and she loved her people.” A small smile appeared on her face as she finished the words, which reflected back onto her child’s face.
“But the princess was reckless. She disliked the idea of being cooped up in the castle while her people dealt with hardships for her. So, on occasion, the princess would escape the castle, dressed as a commoner. She would take part in the daily activities in the villages, mingling with the populace, without her people ever knowing. She learned how to be a regular person this way.”
The woman paused, enjoying a moment of suspense as they snuggled closer. When she continued, her tone became a bit more serious, as if to warn the child. “Life was not as the princess believed, though. In her ventures out of the castle she found out there were some dwelling in her kingdom that were unhappy being ruled by a woman - that these people were planning to overthrow her reign.” She waited, thinking back to when the child had asked what that had meant. When he was silent, she continued.
“The princess knew she had to do something, that she had to fight. But the princess was still a princess. She was just a girl, and had to be protected. There would be no kingdom without her. However, the princess wouldn’t let her people fight alone. She would not give up.” Again the woman paused, hearing the small sound of delight escape from next to her as she came to his favorite part.
She smiled and began, “When the time came to stand against the rebellion, the princess picked up her sword, taking up arms at the front lines. Everyone had briefly fought with her, saying that the princess needed more protection than them, but she declared to be the head of the advance. She would protect her people at any cost. So, everyone obediently stood behind her. And when the advance came to start, the princess raised her sword with pride and shouted, ‘Come, my faithful warriors! We end this rebellion tonight!’
“But before she could take her first swing, someone stood in her way. It was a boy - a very handsome boy. He did not speak, but he fought for her. He protected her. He made sure the princess came to no harm, that she did not fight. Much to the princess’s discontentment, he didn’t even let her into one battle." She tickled the child's nose at the 'a very beautiful boy' part, evoking a small snort from the small boy.
"Then the fight was over. The rebellion was crushed, and the princess had them promise to be loyal to her majesty throughout the rest of their days. Everyone went back to their normal days, and all was forgotten. Except for the silent boy who protected the princess.
"He approached her one day, seeing through her disguise as a commoner. She turned on him in an instant, declaring his insolence a crime, that he had no right to decide what was best for her. But the boy simply lowered his head and apologized. He explained that he was from a neighboring kingdom and had caught word of the rebellion - a battle the princess would be leading. It was then he knew he had to intervene, fearing for the princess’s life. The boy placed his sword to the ground and kneeled at her feet. He vowed, though he was of royalty and a prince, to be her protector. And she let him.”
The child giggled as she spoke the words, remembering how the first time his mother told the story she made the comparison between him and the prince.
“And that was how it all started. It wasn’t long before the kingdom had a new princess, with a loyal king and loving queen to watch over her. The queen and her husband still had their disputes, though - the queen deciding it right for her daughter to leave the castle alone, the king declaring her need of bodyguards. But the kingdom was happy and safe. And for the rest of time to come, everyone lived in peace.”
When his mother finished, she looked down at her son and smiled. She stroked his head as he hugged her side, sighing in contentment.
“You don’t have to be afraid, Em---. I will always be here to keep you safe.” She hesitated, then added, “I’ll be your prince - your knight in shining armor.”
The child laughed. “I’m not a girl, Mom. I don’t need to be protected.”
Looking up, he said, “You’re the princess. I’m the prince, and I protect the princess.”



---


Staring up at the moon from where he lay high in the branches of a tree, the boy sighed longingly. The dreams had started to come while he was awake, too. The memories of his past - now plaguing more than just his sleep. He closed his eyes and sighed again, remembering the last line said in the dream before he found himself back in the real world.
I’m the prince, and I protect the princess.
He wondered just how much had changed from then till now - from when he was There, a scared child who clung to a mother he hardly saw. He thought about how much independence he’s gained, how much he’s learned about being alone. Now there wasn’t anyone he could cling to.
Reopening his eyes he found that the moon had been blocked by a light blanket of clouds. Frowning at the coverage, he pulled his shoulder over and leaned to the other side.
He forgot momentarily that he had been sleeping on the branch of a tall tree.
Making his way - clumsily, and quite loudly - past the limbs and branches lower down, the boy eventually found himself meeting the ground. He managed to catch himself before completely falling back first onto the ground, but found out the hard way that waking up would prove to be a terrible time.
He huffed as he reenacted turning over, this time resting his chin on the hard ground.
© Copyright 2014 MelodyNote (zenakarma at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1993546-Finished-1