*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1994897-Coming-Home
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1994897
A girl waiting for her man to come home.
UPDATED

It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen. The clouds moved slowly as a cold breeze made its way onto the porch with the soft sound of the ticking clock in the background. She was dressed in a yellow summer dress with a big, frilly hat set atop her brown hair. It coiled gracefully down to almost touch the belt that uncomfortably sat on her waistline. She looked confident with her red lipstick and matching red heels on. Even though she looked it, the big dark circular sunglasses didn't show the true fear that rested deep inside her. The iced tea laid on the table, still untouched, the lemon sagging ever so slightly as if it could fall off the glass at any moment. The lady tapped her foot on the nicely finished wood flooring, watching as the sun fell beyond the horizon creating a painting of all hues of oranges and yellows. Her patience began to dwindle as she finally came to terms that she’d have to wait another night. She finally gave up and returned back inside the silent, dead house.

It’s been four months since he’d been deployed and today she was told that it was finally the time he’d be returning home. She let out a defeated sigh as she realized that it must have been a mistake. Her heels clicked against the stairs as she gracefully made her way up. Her eyes fixed on the endless amount of pictures of the two of them; ranging from their vacation in Florida to the high end ones that they saved up just to have a professional take them. She stopped just outside the baby’s room, joyful yet something inside her wasn’t ready to see him due to how much he looks like his father. But she went in anyway, making the door creak as she opened it. The little bundle that she calls her own slept soundly; his chest rose and fell in a peaceful rhythm. She couldn’t help but smile at how cute he looked with his hand clutched loosely to a stuffed giraffe. She leaned over him to check if he was wet, but ended up waking the small child in the process.

The wind ruffled the lilac curtains as his wails permeated the small space. Her eyes grew wide as she picked up the small child, trying her best to calm him down. Right as she picked him up the wailing slowly turned into soft whimpers. His dazzling blue eyes pierced his mother’s brown ones as he reached up to grab at her sunglasses. Before she could react he slipped them right off from her nose. She laughed softly and took them away before he could chew on them.

A delicate sound that reminded her of the song her and him danced to years ago began to play just outside the window. She thought to herself she must be hearing things but settled that theory when the song began to play louder. Her heart fluttered more and more as if it were about to burst from her chest. Her mind filled with happiness but she calmly set that aside, not wanting to get her hopes up just for them to be demolished if she were wrong. She coddled the baby close to her chest and made her way back down the stairs as another gust of wind swept up. The house was small yet was just big enough for the three of them, so it didn't take her that long to travel over to the back doors.

Her cheeks turned a bright pink as she saw the man standing before her. She rubbed her right hand against her dress, blaming her sweaty hands to the heat. The tall man smiled wide at her as she embraced him, the baby whining from being suddenly squished. She was more than relieved to smell his rustic, unique scent once more. Her bright, warm smile turned into a frown as she confronted him why he was late. His left hand swept his freshly cut hair as he shyly looked at the ground and stated that there was an overlay at the airport but he also wanted to make it a surprise. She laughed out of embarrassment and blushed as she noticed her lipstick smudged against his cheek.

He looked down at the bundle of joy in her arms and his smile turned into bliss. His hand delicately reached out towards him, ready to stroke the full set of hair on his little head. The baby reached out to clasp onto his fathers and cried out. He chuckled softly and tears formed in his eyes as he placed a small kiss on his forehead. This was the most beautiful baby he had ever seen. His little baby boy had the same eye and hair color as he did. His nose stuck out the same way his, as did his ears. She held him out to him and pulled the small child into his arms. He tapped his son’s nose lightly and the boy giggled and glowed. With no other sound but the sweet sound of crickets, they leaned against each other as they went inside, filling the house with laughter and tears that it had missed for months.
© Copyright 2014 victoria (writeinabottle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1994897-Coming-Home