*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/199521-HomeGarden-Tips
Rated: E · Article · Home/Garden · #199521
This ain't no Martha Stewart show so be easy with me...
Dilemma:
My garden is about 25' square. The soil seems to be pure black clay and we have had limited success with adding compost, manure, etc. Our next move to improve yields seems to be to raise it up and start with a good quality soil. My dilemma is how to do it. I'm thinking maybe to use cinder blocks, but wanted additional input on all the options.

My Suggestion:
I have been told that landscape timbers as well as railroad ties can poison the soil. You might want to try using stones or rocks depending on how much of an increase in elevation you are looking for. Line the bottom of garden with a plastic sheet or tarp leaving enough around the edges to line up the walls of stone or rock. Then fill the plastic with rich soil a minimum of 12" deep. Plant and water daily. The plastic bottom will keep the weeds from growing up in your garden (less maintenance) and keep the soil from being washed away. Good luck! Direct sun is a must.
© Copyright 2001 -- Marv -- (marv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/199521-HomeGarden-Tips