*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995262-Best-Friends-Brother---Chapter-Two
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Drama · #1995262
Part 2 of the BFB story
         My cell rang at quarter to four so I let it ring through to voice mail.  I was making a significant dent in the work I had left to do before I should even think about leaving for the day and I didn't want to waste the tiny bit of time I had left to actually get work done by answering a phone call.  Everyone important in my life knew that I wouldn't pick up my cell phone during the work day so they called my work number.  When my phone rang again I glanced at the screen to see if I recognized the number and when I didn't my attention went back to the manuscript as it rang through to voice mail again.
         Five minutes later Hilary was at the door.  “Miss Rayne, there’s a young man here to see you.”
         I marker my place with my finger and glanced up.  “Send him away.  I’m about to leave for the day and I need to get this chapter finished before I go.”
         She hesitated a minute and then looked over her shoulder.  “He says you’re expecting him.”
         I allowed myself to be annoyed for a moment but then reined the annoyance in.  I was expecting someone, just not so soon or in my office.  “Does this man have a name?”
         She stuck her head out the door and I heard her speaking to someone.  A semi familiar voice replied and she stuck her head back in, cheeks slightly flushed.  “His name’s Matthew, Miss.  Matthew Da Villa.”
         I marked my place with a sticky note and leaned back in my chair.  “Send the boy in.”
         Hilary nodded and disappeared.  A moment later Matt strolled into the room looking more than a little annoyed.  “Claire.”
         I refrained from glaring back at him.  “You’re early.”
         He snorted.  “Hardly.  I called five minutes ago to tell you I was on the way but you didn't answer.”
         I pointed at the clock on the wall.  “As I said, you’re early.  Whitney said four, and it is not four yet.  Some of us have to work.”
         “Come off it, Claire.  I’m ten minutes early, it’s not much.  What did you want me to do, wait around until it was four?”
         I rolled my eyes and stood up, tired of giving him the advantage of height.  Standing up I still wasn't as tall as him but at least the difference wasn't so great.  “Matthew, that’s exactly what you should have done.  I’m leaving early as it is which will not go over well with my boss while I have a large project underway.  Those ten minutes as you've said could cost me a lot.”
         He threw his hands up and then collapsed into Whitney’s chair.  “Fine then, work for another ten minutes.  It’s not like I have anything else to do.”
         I sighed and walked around the desk to perch on the edge closest to him.  “Sorry.  It’s nice to see you.”
         It was very nice to see him.  Sure he was my best friend’s little brother but that didn't mean that he didn't look good.  Standing just over six feet tall and well-built it was easy to see why he was such a lady’s man.  His easy nature didn't hurt either.
         He let a half smile slip onto his face.  “It’s nice to see you, too.”
         “How’s school?”
         He shook his head, his smile growing.  “Un-uh.  I did not leave campus to talk about school with my sister’s best friend.  Try again.”
         I rolled my eyes but changed the subject.  “How’s Paige?”
         He laughed.  “Does Whitney not keep you caught up?  We broke up three months ago.”
         I tried not to let the shock show.  The two of them had been going out since tenth grade and last I’d heard they were still happy together.  “Well that’s too bad.”
         “Nah, it was time.  We weren't really a couple anymore but neither of us would admit it.  I’m surprised that we lasted as long as we did.”
         “I see.  Anyone in your life now?”
         “As in a serious girlfriend?  Not really.  How about you?”
         I rolled my eyes thinking about how the last boyfriend I’d had ended ages ago.  “Of course not.  I’m destined to be single for life.”
         He laughed, obviously not taking my exclamation seriously.  “I’m sure you’ll find the guy for you soon enough.”
         I shrugged and thought about how long I was willing to wait for this “perfect guy”.  I couldn't wait much longer if I still hoped to have babies of my own.
         I hopped off the desk and walked over to where my coat was hanging on the coatrack by the door.  “Come on, we should probably go before Hilary comes in with coffee.”
         As if on cue Hilary opened the door holding a tray with two coffee cups.  The fact that her cheeks were still flushed was a dead giveaway that she had fallen for Matt’s good looks.  “I wasn't sure how you like your coffee so I brought cream and sugar so you could do it yourself.”
         I made a face and Matt chuckled while he took the cup that was offered to him and added cream and sugar.  “Thanks.”
         Hilary smiled and then handed me my latte.  “Thanks, Hil.”
         This time the image on the surface was a fairly detailed rose.  She seemed to be getting better at it every time she decided to make an image.
         “No problem,” she replied hovering by the door.
         I looked pointedly at the door and she slowly went back to her desk.  Matt opened his mouth to speak but I motioned for him to stay quiet until the door was shut.
         “Sorry about that.  Looks like you have a new admirer.”
         He looked at the door as if he could see her through it and nodded appreciatively.  “Not my type but she is cute.”
         “Yeah, she’s not a ginger,” I said taking a sip of the latte.
         “Blonde works too,” he replied before taking a sip of the coffee.
         I ignored the comment knowing it was aimed at me and not wanting to go there.  Seems like Whitney was wrong and the crush was still on.
         I took another sip of the latte before placing it on my desk and slipping into my jacket.  “So, what do you want to do tonight?”
         He took another sip of his coffee before speaking.  “Well, I want to finish this coffee, that’s for sure.  Where do you get it?”
         “Some private company in Brazil,” I said.  “The owner of the company gets the beans sent here fresh every couple of weeks so he can have some when he decides to show up for work.”
         He looked at the coffee and shook his head.  “Sounds like I’m drinking some very expensive coffee right now.”
         I grin and pulled him out of Whitney’s chair.  “Well, you deserve the best the company has.  After all, Hilary does want to make an impression on you.”
         He downed the rest of the coffee and then placed the mug next to my almost full latte.  “And quite an impression she’s made.  Now coffee’s going to taste like crap unless I get it here.  How can you not finish it?”
         I shrugged and glanced at my latte before ushering Matt out of my office.  “I get it every day so the novelty of it has worn off on me, I guess.”
         He opened his mouth to make some comment about how lucky I am when a deep voice called my name from across the office.
         I swallowed and turned to see my boss walking straight towards me, a scowl on his face.  “Mister Jones, it’s nice to see you.”
         “Can it, Rayne.  How is the Sydney manuscript coming along?”
         “Great, sir.  I’m almost done with it and it’ll be on your desk by the end of the day tomorrow.”
         He shook his head and stopped right in front of me.  “No, Rayne.  It’ll be on my desk first thing tomorrow morning.  Sydney just called and he’s wondering what’s taking so long.  I told him it’ll be out of the office by noon tomorrow which means you need to get it done.”
         I glanced at my office and thought about the hundred pages I still had to go over.  There was no way I’d be able to go out with Matt and still get it all done. 
         “Is that a problem, Claire?”
         I knew I couldn't say anything since he’d used my first name.  He only called me Claire when he meant business.
         I did what anyone would do in my place and smiled like nothing was wrong.  “Of course not, sir.  I’ll have done in time.  Promise.”
         He just stood there and looked at me before glancing at Matt.  “Who are you?”
         Matt opened his mouth to speak but I beat him to it.  “Whitney’s brother, sir.  I was just going to take him to his hotel and then get back to the Sydney manuscript.  I thought I’d finish working at home tonight so I won’t be coming back afterwards.”
         Jones gave Matt his once over before deciding he wasn't a threat.  Being extremely good looking and wealthy, Jones didn't consider many people competition.  He was so confident in his ability to woo anyone that the hottest man alive could be in the room and Jones still wouldn't feel threatened.  Sometimes I forgot that he was married the way he sized up all guys when he met them like they were competition.
         As soon as he walked away I resumed breathing.  Most of the time I could deal with Jones but I didn't need him complicating things tonight.
         “Boss?” Matt asked as I headed back into my office.
         I returned with the manuscript and nodded.  “More like a nightmare.”
         Hilary snickered and I noticed that she was standing right beside Matt.  “Miss Rayne, you shouldn't talk about your boss like that regardless of how true it might be.”
         I smiled at her and she handed me my purse.  “Hey, it’s not like I’m lying.  You could talk about me like that if you want.  Hell, if I start acting like a stuck up snob you can trash me to my face.”
         Matt smiled.  “Can I do that too?”
         I stuck my tongue out at him.  Mature, I know.  “No you may not.  You’re Whit’s little brother so show some respect.”
         Hilary shook her head, clearly wishing she could join in but not knowing how.  “Miss Rayne, I think you should get out of here before he decides he wants you to do anything else.”
         I nodded and smiled at her.  “Thanks, Hil.  Wait another ten minutes or so and then get out here yourself.  I wouldn't want Jones to come back to bug you about my absence.”
         Her eyes grew and she shook her head.  “I couldn't possibly leave early.”
         I laughed.  “I am.”
         She shook her head.  “But you’re an editor and I’m just a lowly assistant.”
         I rolled my eyes.  “Think what you want but you’re the best assistant I've had since working here.”
         Matt placed a hand on my arm and started pulling me towards the elevators.  “Come on, Claire.  I don’t want you to get roped into any more work.  I’ll be lucky to get you to come out to dinner as it is.”
         I laughed but let him pull me away.  “It’s not too much work, I swear.”
         He looked at the manuscript in my hands and shook his head.  “Think what you want but there is no way I’m going to convince you to stay out late tonight.”
© Copyright 2014 Tiffany Da Villa (tiffanydv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995262-Best-Friends-Brother---Chapter-Two