*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995371-Judgement-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Laiye
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Action/Adventure · #1995371
The end has come, and humanity must pay for it's sins.
August 2 2020
I found this old leather-bound journal today, with all of it's pages still there! Most of the books were used up for fires or toilet paper. I figure since i'm all alone, I should try and record my thoughts to help me stay sane. We'll see if it makes a difference. It started, what, two weeks ago? At first, it was just rumors. People being attacked in the street, nurses getting eaten by patients, dead men coming back to life and going crazy, shit like that. Then what seemed like isolated incidents that were few and far between became more common. People say they saw black helicopters in the sky, military convoys all over the place. At first, the government tried to deny it, saying it had everything under control. They had to come clean when DC was overrun with the damn things. They gave some general bull crap about, "lock your doors, stay inside, we'll come help" and ran down into their little bunkers, tail between their legs and shat themselves. The military got mobilized, and squads started gunning down the freaks wherever they saw them, and tried to keep civilians in check. Apparently, in check, in military jargon, means beat to a bloody pulp and throw into the back of a truck. When they tried to disarm civilians, shit really hit the fan. They were met with heavy resistance, and all the fighting just drew more of them in. Eventually, almost all of the major cities had been destroyed by looters and riots. Now, all that remains is isolated pockets of survivors just struggling to live another day.

I suppose whoever is reading this, hundreds of years in the future, might be wondering what happened and why the human race degraded to living like savages, and also why there are massive piles of human remains in every place you look, along with the decayed husk of a once-great civilization. To put it simply, we fucked up. Bad. Humanity's fear of death put him over the edge of rational thought. They tried to develop a cure for death. A drug that granted immortality. I guess they succeeded, somewhat, only the people that took the drug lost all sense of who, or what they were. They still had some basic semblance of humanity at first, but were violent and irrational. The drug was actually a synthetic virus, and like other viruses, it began to mutate and evolve. They put "perfect" genes into the virus, hoping to make humans like gods, however, they made it so complex that it mutated almost every time it replicated. People turned into deformed monstrosities, and went completely feral. Some of these mutations were beneficial, but much more turned humans into something far more sickening than even the Devil himself could imagine.

It's late in the evening, and I have to get back to my safehouse before night falls. Hopefully this old food I found doesn't make me sick. I've got enough shit to worry about around that's around me, I don't need it coming out me too.

[[This is just a rough outline of a backstory. The idea may be getting dry, but I always had thoughts about this subject that I have never seen fleshed out. Reviews would be appreciated.]]
© Copyright 2014 Laiye (laiye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995371-Judgement-Day