*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995542-On-Maya-Angelou
by Simpl
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1995542
Essay on the struggles and progess shown by Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou became the poet laureate of this country in spite of a difficult and, at times, traumatic childhood, poverty, and early single motherhood at 17.  More years of struggle ensued while Maya worked to keep a roof over her head and her son’s and food on their table.  Some of the many jobs she had as a young woman did not make her proud later but she did what she had to do to keep her family going.

She and her son Guy lived away from this country for a time and she had years of serious relationships and friendships that enriched her life and that of her son.  Maya’s work forced her to live apart from Guy at times – always difficult for her and for him too.

Maya worked tirelessly and continuously to transform herself into the courageous, intelligent, well-read, and cultured person she was for many years.  Her education was accomplished more via the school of hard knocks and self-taught learning than from formal educational experiences.  In spite of that, she wrote numerous books and many honorary doctorate degrees were bestowed upon her.  Maya taught at a prestigious college for a number of years.

Through it all, Maya never gave up her personal evolution over hardship and later involved herself in the ongoing struggle of black Americans to be given the civil rights, respect, and life opportunities they deserve.  She worked, she mothered, she wrote, she entertained, she was involved and active in her community and the larger interest of seeing her people gain positions in this racist culture.
 
Because of Maya and other like-minded activists of different ages, races, and philosophical/religious persuasions who joined the struggle, progress has occurred – slow though it may be.  The reading of her famous poem at Barack Obama’s inauguration was indeed a high point for us all.  A black man had been elected president and he had requested a black poet to read at this special inaugural event.  Progress. . .

Now she is gone.  Her active involvement and participation in her life continued until nearly her final hours.  Her death will be keenly felt in her extended family and by those loyal friends, followers and supporters she had amassed over the decades of her work.  May others of us pick up the struggle to ensure that the progress toward full equality for each and every person continues.

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
-Frederick Douglass

411 words

© Copyright 2014 Simpl (jsimpl2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995542-On-Maya-Angelou