*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995712-Innocent-Souls
by RobD
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1995712
Contest Entry for 06/08
1st Place Winner Submitted on 06/08...298 Words

The attendant stood watching all of his little charges. Some were sitting quietly against the wall waiting while some of them were running around like wild animals.

“Will you please stop? You’re driving me crazy,” the attendant shouted.

He tried to round everyone up into a small group so he could explain to them the importance of an orderly waiting room, but it proved to be impossible to corral everyone.  Finally, when the chaos continued, the attendant threw up his hands in despair. He was about to become physical with his charges, but refrained when his supervisor walked into the room.

“What seems to be the problem here?”

“I don’t think they like me. I’ve tried to get them to be quiet and calm down. I’ve asked them nicely. I’ve yelled at them and I’ve even threatened them, but they just simply refuse to cooperate.”

The supervisor let out a long breath, closed his eyes and shook his head.

“How long have you worked here now?” the supervisor asked.

“This is my first day,” the attendant said.

“Okay. You do know where you’re at, right?”

“Yes.”

“And you know who these little buggers are, right?”

The attendant thought about it for a second and then nodded his head. “Yes.”

“Then why do you think you can talk them into doing anything?”

“Well…because.”

“They won’t listen to you because they don’t understand what you’re saying. They haven't learned a language yet and they won't until they're born. For now, they simply follow their nature, here and on Earth once they’re born.”

Just then, two of the souls sitting against the wall and one of the wild ones disappeared.

“There, that should help you out a bit,” the supervisor said and walked out of the room shaking his head again.
© Copyright 2014 RobD (robd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1995712-Innocent-Souls