*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996442-Best-Friends-Brother---Chapter-Nine
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Drama · #1996442
BFB story part 9
         I took a deep breath and flushed the toilet.  It was Wednesday afternoon and I had just walked out of my office for the third time to throw up.  I knew that it meant it was time to listen to Whitney but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
         When the nausea passed I stepped up to the sink and quickly washed my face.  Thankful that I had put on very little makeup that morning I dried my face and fixed my eyeliner and lip gloss.  Once that was done I looked perfectly like myself.  Except for the paleness in my cheeks and the worry in my eyes, of course.
         I was walking past Hilary’s empty desk when she popped her head out of my office.  “Oh good, you’re back.  Whitney’s been calling nonstop since you disappeared and she won’t take no for an answer.  I was just checking to see if you left a clue as to where you were so I could find you.”
         “Bathroom,” I muttered sinking into my chair.  “Did she say what she wanted?”
         “Just that you need to call her back.  And to stop lying to yourself.”
         I sighed and picked up the phone.  “Thanks, Hilary.  Feel free to take a break; you've been working too hard lately.”
         She smiled.  “Thanks, Miss Rayne.”
         As soon as my office door was closed I called Whitney’s cell.  School had just gotten out so she’d be at the daycare by now.  Usually she wouldn't answer my call until all the kids were gone but I knew she’d make an exception today.
         “Claire, you were in the bathroom, weren't you?”
         I groaned.  “Please don’t make me sound so obvious.”
         Her fluttery laugh floated over the line.  “I went through the exact same thing.  Hell I’m going through the same thing right now.”
         I sighed.  “It’s time, isn't it?”
         I knew she was nodding at the other end.  “Buy the test after work and let me know how it goes.  Call me again if you want someone there.  I’m sure Bree would be willing to come by, too.”

         At seven Bree and Whitney were talking quietly in my bedroom as I made the walk of shame back to them from the bathroom.  I felt the tears falling down my face and I knew they should be sad tears because I wasn't actually ready for a baby even though I wanted one with all my heart.  It was my deepest, darkest secret and I wasn't ready for it to be real yet.
         Still, all I could think was I’m having a baby.  And I was so happy I could burst.
         They stopped talking as soon as they saw me and rushed over to throw their arms around me.
         “Good or bad?” Bree asked.
         “Good, of course!” Whitney scoffed.  “She’s going to have a baby.”
         “You sure?  You feel like it’s a baby?  The test was positive?  You’re not just really sick, right?”
         I felt the smile creep onto my face as I nodded at them.  “I’m going to be having a baby.  It’s really happening.”
© Copyright 2014 Tiffany Da Villa (tiffanydv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996442-Best-Friends-Brother---Chapter-Nine