*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996721-Olives-are-Not-a-Starter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Fgsake
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1996721
A small incident at a restaurant by the river
Olives are not a Starter!

Everything is a battle, even as we found out having a glass of wine in the sunshine. My partner and I were in Bristol recently. The city famed for its waterfront and hence its numerous bars with outside tables that allow you to bask in the warmth of the sun whilst watching the world go by on the river.

Well not quite.

We struggled to find a free table as everyone else had the same idea as it was the first day of sunshine we have seen in 6 months. But find one we did and with 40 minutes before our trip to the cinema we ordered two glasses of white wine.

“No you can’t have wine unless you are eating” our waitress informed us in a very strict east european accent. Straight away it crosses your mind “Why not” we asked

“We have no licence to sell drink with no food” she said authoritatively.

“OK”, we replied with a sigh. I had eaten a few hours before so was not hungry but my partner said he could manage a starter plate of calamari.

“You can’t have that” she said. “only one of you is eating, we don’t have a licence to serve drinks without food”.

“OK” said Alan with exasperation, “I will have two glasses of wine and Deborah will have a glass of water”.

“No you can’t do that” she said “no licence for you to do that”

“Right”, I replied. “We will have the calamari and some olives”.

“Olives are not a starter” she said

“Pardon? Are you serious2”

“Olive are not a starter, you cannot have any wine unless you eat, we have no licence”.

By now I was getting a little irritated.

“Who exactly is going to come here and arrest you for giving me a glass of wine and a plate of olives?” I asked.

“No licence”, she informed us again.

I at this point was not going to be moved. “Can I speak to the Manager please”

“Yes she said I will go and get him” and off she stomped

Alan and I looked at each other in disbelief. A quick civilised drink in the sunshine was turning into another saga,

A minute later another lady came rushing over to our table.

“I’m so sorry, of course you can have wine and olives, its not a problem at all, I will get them sent out straight away”

“Good thank you” we replied and shortly we were served our “illegal” olives, calamari and two glasses of wine.

However due to the extensive debate we now only had 20 minutes to eat and drink before our trip to the cinema. So the luxury of sipping a cold glass of white had turned into trying to gulp it down as quickly as possible and rushing to the cinema.

I wonder what the world is about these days, even the simplist of things become a battle of wits whether its getting a Dr or Dentist appointment, buying a single postage stamp or having a glass of wine in the sunshine. There always seems to be someone who insists in can’t be done, when in fact it always can be, just not in the way they see it.

Oh Well, lets see how the next few weeks go. What dramas will befall me. I’m certain there will be something. There always is.

© Copyright 2014 Fgsake (fgsake at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1996721-Olives-are-Not-a-Starter