*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1998714-Magic-in-the-WIlderness
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1998714
This short story i wrote was based on a strange dream I had.
Magic in the Wilderness






         This is a story I am writing based on a beautiful and inspirational dream I had few nights back. I wanted to get back into my writing of novels and get the ball rolling. Hence, I modified much of this short story and inserted much to add colour and depth. I just hope my Imagination and creativity is still there within me. Constructive Criticism and comments are most welcome.



         This story's background and settings are based on my own writing world called Ishab, which I created many years ago for my own novel. It is purely fantasy fiction. This story is copyright and solely a production by me and cannot be replicated by anyone without my consent.



                   ********************************************

         

         

         Marin stopped for a moment as he reached the outskirts of the Golden Forest, where tall, majestic Oaks with strangely golden leaves occupied the whole forest. Not only Oaks were found, but, many myriad assortments of other species of trees strewn about to make a complete forest. He took a deep breath and took in the scent of the earth, trees and the forest as a whole.



         "It's good to be home", he thought aloud as he touched a nearby Oak, its roots deeply embedded in the earth. It was probably 100 years old, young by his standards as a High Elf, he thought. Marin was already reaching 200 years old, as Elves go beyond 500 years. Yet, this Golden Forest was much older than him. The Golden Forest has seen its heyday even before the Ishabian continent was occupied and even before the Elves existed. Such was its rich history.          



         He stood awhile more and went within himself to connect with the energy & magic of the ancient forest. He felt the magic within and swirling around him with familiarity. He felt, as though, he was welcomed by an old friend and he smiled a great smile to himself. He was looking for to going back to his home at the Great Tree, which in fact was the largest Oak in the Golden Forest with its trunk 40 times the size of a normal Oak and its roots descended to unknown depths. The High Elves of Ishab made their home on the gigantic Great Tree with homes built on their enormous branches and spiralling stairway that wound around the great trunk to get to the upper reaches of the Great Tree.



         Marin started to trek further into the forest with happiness. He had gone to the White Temple to deliver his Grand Elder's message regarding the war that was being waged in Abla and the rumours that had trickled out to the Golden Forest itself. Abla City itself had been sealed off and rumours had it that a Dark God had come back with the help of his Disciple and devotee called Morduzar the Damned. The message was to ask elves of all descent to convene together and plan for an eventual and unavoidable war that was coming to their doorsteps.



         





With the message delivered, Marin had to trek back to his home in the Golden Forest. The White Temple was like a city made of stone  and earth. The Gold Elves had some sort of strange love for the Earth and stone but not as much as the dwarven folk. They were the only ones who could ever trade and talk to the Dwarves of Gorthon. Marin never liked cities and neither did he hate them. It was just that his love for the forests and woodland reigned paramount in his heart.



He decided to climb up a Pine tree and run along its branches and jump gracefully from tree to tree. Even as an Elfling, he had done travelling this way. It made him closer to the trees itself. He had spent most of his childhood in the deep recesses of the Gold Forest alone. That one thing itself made him pursue Druidic ways instead of being a Wizard, Warrior or Cleric like his kin. Druid way came naturally to him and it also seemed that the forest had a special kind of love for him too. He found it easy to communicate with the trees and the earth and oftentimes moulding the earth and trees to suit the needs of his people.



A bright white figure caught his eye, but, he could not make out what it was. His curiosity got the better and he ran among the Pine branches towards the white figure. As he got closer, it came to a huge clearing in the centre of the forest, which he had not seen before. He knew the forest too well and wouldn't have missed seeing this clearing. But what took his breath away was a white horse with saddle and it rider was no where to be seen.



Yet, this white horse seemed to be looking at him with a purpose. It was, as though, it was waiting for him. His intuition told him there was more to the horse than meets the eye. The coat of the horse was bright white and really shone a beautiful radiance under the sun. Its mane was long and flowing, as was its tail, and looked as if the hair was made of silk. The saddle itself was made out of hardened high quality leather. There was a raw power and magnificent aura around the horse and it was more than it seemed.



It was pawing the ground and snorting while nodding its head. Marin did not know what to make of it. Was this majestic animal asking him to come down to it? He hesitated. The horse neighed loudly while it rose up on its hind legs and kicked its front legs wildly. When it landed back, it began to paw the ground even harder and neighed louder while nodding its head towards him. The horse was indeed calling on to him.



Marin climbed down the Pine tree slowly and walked slowly towards the horse.  It had stopped neighing and now stood quietly, motionless. Only its tail was swishing wildly back and forth. As he closed the distance between the horse and him, he could now feel an enormous energy emanating from the horse itself. Was this some kind of deity or higher being? He could not understand anything that was going on.



There was now a sense of unbridled energy coursing through him. It was like the horse was trying to communicate with him by a familiar means. He did not know its language, but, yet he knew. The power emanating from the horse soothed his fears, reassuring him. Marin was now 2 feet away from the horse and the raw essence of this magical being was overpowering. He wanted to reach out and touch it. Just as he placed his hand on its flank, feeling its soft fur, the horse disappeared, leaving behind a statuette made of the purest and flawless white marble, which stood 3 inches tall. Marin stood there rooted and his gazed fixed on the statuette.





         



© Copyright 2014 Darksword (darksword at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1998714-Magic-in-the-WIlderness