*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000182-Little-Hazel-Eyes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2000182
Due to a spell he cast as a child,Dane is forced to live in arms reach of Cassie or die
         "This is nice." Froya said, her voice sweet as honey. Her fiance turned to look at her, honey-yellow hair pulled back into a neat bun at the back of her head. The style revealed her neck, long, and her collarbones, feminine. She saw him look at her from the corner of her eye, so turned to meet his gaze. She smiled, sweet as honey. "Isn't it?"

         He looked away, back at the ocean front. "Too hot."

         Froya laughed, crouching and diggging through a bag. "But that's the point." Withdrawing a slim blue tube, she stood and held it out to him. "Will you get my back?"

         A nod, and she sat on the towel in front of him. Just as she did so, another beachgoer passed.

         "Not from around here?" The man asked. Froya held up a hand over her eyes to shield the sun, and found this man's skin tone nearly matched the sand. After a moment, she glanced back at her fiance.

         "No, we're from Norway." He said, reverting to English.

         "Yeah, I can tell--not much sun up there, huh?"

         Dane shrugged. "Far enough north, there are times when the day doesn't end."

         "Wow, really?" He said. His girlfriend tugged on his arm subtly, and he took half a step away. "Well, enjoy yourselves."

         Dane nodded, opening the blue tube.

         "What was he saying?" Froya asked in Norwegian.

         "That we're pale." He answered with a straight face.

         She looked at him over her shoulder as he began to rub sunscreen on her back. She smirked. "Did he really?"

         He shrugged. "For the most part."

         "There you are!" A woman said to them in English. She stopped next to Dane and waved. "Hi, glad you made it!"

         Froya smiled and waved. "Hei, Mor!"

         Dane's father stepped out from behind her and went to his own towel. In Norwegian he said, "I'm sure you would have loved if we didn't make it."

         "Jarl." Dane said in a low, warning grumble.

         The woman started laying out her towel. "Did he say something about me? He's been muttering in esikmo since he came to get me."

         "All good things." Jarl lied unconvincingly.

         She just rolled her eyes. "Froya, hvor er du?" She spoke slow and carefully.

         "Bra, takk." Froya responded, speaking in simple words since she knew her mother-in-law didn't really speak Norwegian.

         She turned to Dane. "And how are you? Its been so long since I saw my little boy."

         "I'm fine." Dane said, wiping excess sunscreen across his chest as Froya stood.

         "And as short-spoken as ever?"

         Dane cracked a small smile. "Yes."

         His mother looked at him carefully. "Nothings bothering you, is there?"

         He gave Froya a quick sideways glance, but shook his head. "No, I'm fine."

         "If you're sure." She said, adjusting herself on the towel with a comfortable sigh.

         Froya, next to him on her own towel, fanned herself with a hand. "It is hot though, as you said, Dane."

         After a few moments, Jarl looked around her at his son. "Dane," He said, "Froya said she's hot."

         Dane slowly turned his head to look at his father. He raised an eyebrow, staring.

         "You do have power over wind. You should give her a breeze to cool her off." Jarl said pointedly.

         Dane pointeto her. "She's aether. She wants a breeze she can make her own."

         Jarl glared at him. "But as her fiance--"

         "It's okay, Jarl." Froya said with a small smile. "I didn't mean to complain. We're in public anyway, someone might see."

         "They wouldn't know it was him." Jarl said. "And it's his duty to take care of you."

         We aren't married yet...Dane thought. He held his tongue, taking a deep breath and closing his eyes to try and relax.

         "It's fine Jarl, really." Froya insisted. "He's right, I can make one myeslf if I start to overheat."

         "Well, certainly, but to aim it at oneself--"

         Dane looked over as his mother spoke, glad for something else to focus on. "So i heard you two have found an apartment?"

         He narrowed his eyes, then shook his head a little. "We've only just started looking."

         "Oh," She waved absently. "I guess I heard wrong. Well, how's the hunt going?"

         Dane shrugged.

         "Oh, that well?" She said jokingly.

         "We just want different things. It's hard to comprimies."

         She sighed. "I know what that's like. Goodness, Jarl and i could never agree on anything. I don't know how we managed to raise a child."

         Jarl looked over, ignoring his coversation with Froya for the time being. "'We'? You hardly even saw him!" He said in English to her. She sighed, adjusting her sunglasses.

         "Not here," Dane said warningly.

         "What?" Jarl asked. "Oh, she can talk bad about me but once I bring up the past i'm overstepping myself?"

         After a moment, Dane carefully said, "This is not the appropriate place."

         His mother sighed again. "Honestly, its wonderful to have you all come visit me. I rarely get to see my son but it's nice to meet Froya again as well. Even if we can't speak each others language."

         Froya turned to her upon hearing her name, then to Dane for a translation. "She said it's nice to see you." He said. Froya smiled, closing her eyes again.

         "So how is everything in the secret community?"

         Dane stared straight ahead, stoic. His father cursed and said in Norwegian, "This is the woman I nearly married. I can't believe myself sometimes."

         Dane sighed, and answered her. "Not much of a secret if everyone on the beach knows about it."

         "Oh, right. Sorry." She said, looking over as Froya stood up. She looked around their spot on the sand, then frowned.

         Froya turned to Dane, kneeling down next to him. "I forgot my book in our room; need anything while I'm there?"

         "I'm fine." He said, looking out at the water.

         "Alright, I'll be right back, Honey." She said, leaning forward and closing her eyes. Dane closed his eyes so his father couldn't see him roll them. He leaned in, and gave her a quick, soft kiss. Froya smiled at him, sweet like honey, then left.

         "You two make such a darling couple." His mother said. "You're lucky to have such a wonderful relationship."

         Jarl chortled.

         Dane shut his eyes again. Times like this, he wished his father didn't speak English. He could be honest with his mom--if for no other reason than that she couldn't do anything about it. But with Jarl so close, he had no choice but to stay silent.

         Peaceful quiet started to wash over him, and his thoughts drifted effortlessly to Cassie.

*****

         “Dane?” Froya called. He pulled out a headphone and turned to her. “Could you help me for a minute? I can’t get this spell.”

         He raised his eyebrows, surprised she was asking for help, but paused his music. He followed her through the cabin they’d rented and out the back door. There was a patio, and on the table was an open book.

         Froya gestured to it. “I’ve been trying to get through third rank spells but I can’t properly conjure the tornado.”

         He stepped past her, crossing his left arm in front of himself to touch his right schoulder. “Vertex.” He commanded. Mana lifted off his arms, evaporating into the air like bubbles. Fifty feet out, the wind in the yard began to swirl, making the silhouette of a whirlwind. After some thirty seconds it slowed to a stop.

         She tapped her lip with a finger, thoughtful. She stepped away, toward the book, and read silently. “Hmm…see, watch.” She said. She touched her shoulder with the opposite hand and inhaled. “Vertex!” The open area shook with wind, but hers was much wider and much less concentrated than his was. As it started to fade she frowned and looked to him.

         “Your elbow.” Dane said. He lifted his arm into the proper form again, using his right hand to poke the elbow pointedly. “It was too low.”

         Froya puffed out her cheeks, taking a deep breath. She got into the position again and repeated, “Vertex!” Dan watched as purple mana rolled up from elaborate tattoo on her arms. It floated up as a thick cluster of fifty tiny bubbles which popped all at once. The whirlwind reappeared, spinning in a somewhat more organized fashion. She sighed. “Well that was a little better.”

         Dane lifted his arm again, saying the incantation quietly. A small group of twenty five bubbles lifted from the white tattoo on his arm, and the tornado which appeared afterward ripped leaves from the nearby trees.

         Again, Froya sighed. “Air is hard for me. The other elements I can see the results of. I can hardly tell if I’m doing anything when I use air spells.”

         Dane nodded, once. “It’s difficult.”

         She looked over at him. “Any other advise?”

         “Don’t practice here.” He said. “At home, at least there’s snow.”

         Froya nodded, and smiled. “Alright. Thanks." She waited, wondering if he would smile back or maybe offer her a kiss or say she did a good job.

         Dane nodded. "Happy to help." He turned away. After the door closed behind him, she went back to the book.

         That was pretty good, She thought, He actually talked to me, there. I think he even watched me too.

         Content, she sat in a chair and began reading the next section, fire.

*****

         Dane leaned over Jarls shoulder to see what he was looking at on the computer. Jarl clanked at him, then pointed. “See here, this one comes with a dishwasher already installed, is in town, and within budget.”

         He watched as Jarl went through photos of the prospective apartment. He shook his head. “Too small.”

         Jarl groaned. “Well how much space do you need? This is plenty for two people—you need to stop being picky. Besides, it’s the same as your place with Jokkum, and Froya doesn’t smell half as bad.”

         Sure, Dane thought, but at least I enjoy Jokkum’s company.

         Seeing an opportunity, he took it. “That apartment is just big enough for a couple bound by joint souls.”

         Jarl snorted. “It’s not that small. You’re exaggerating.”

         “Right, not quite that small but there’s enough space to stretch before killing one another.”

         “It’s a fifty foot long apartment, they’d be able to stretch that far after a month.”

         “Right, when the place has a six month lease. That’s worth it.”

         Jarl gave him a skeptical look. “Talkative, today.”

         Dane took a half step away and pointed behind himself, to the bedroom. “Was reading Froyas copy of Documented Cases of Death by Magic. Joint souls was mentioned, now it’s on my mind.” He sat on the couch behind the computer desk, and looked back at his father. “Were you part of the Justice back then?”

         Jarl laughed. “No. It’s been thirty years that I’ve been a judge, but no one’s cast joint souls—nonetheless died from it—in at least sixty years.”

         “Is that why it was banned? People dying?”

         “Well why else?” Jarl said. “Combining two souls into one single essence was, at one time, viewed as ‘true marriage’ to some, but too many couples pushed their luck. One soul stretched between two people over a distance of a hundred feet just can’t be done. The soul falls out, both partners die, and our society gets scrutinized by those who can’t mind their own business.”

         “One hundred feet sounds like a pretty short distance.”

         Jarl nodded and shrugged. “They were husband and wife, why would they need to be separated?”

         Dane raised an eyebrow. “Different jobs.”

         Jarl flapped his wrist. “Well yes, now the world is that way. And that’s why its been banned. But the spell costs a fifteen hundred Moen to cast anyway—by the time a man has that much mana he’s fifty years old and wants to be left alone.”

         Dane nodded to himself, and Jarl looked at him closely. “You’ll stop thinking about it, Dane. Froya loves you but she needs space, sometimes, like any woman.”

         Dane furrowed his brow and shook his head. “I’m not going to join our souls. Sounds terrible. I don’t have the Moen anyway.”

         “Good. Illegal means illegal, whether or not you’re the son of a Justice official. I couldn’t spare you leniency even if I wanted to.”

         Dane nodded and thought, Good to know.
***** 

         “Thanks for stopping over to say bye. It was wonderful to see you all for a late-Christmas get together.” His mother said, releasing him from a hug. Dane nodded, and stepped away.

         Froya joined him as Jarl said his goodbye. She smiled, brushing his hand with her fingers discretely. “I liked it here. Four days wasn’t enough, don’t you agree?”

         He shrugged.

         Froya sighed contentedly. “Maybe we should look for apartments here.” When she saw his unenthused look, she elaborated. “The weather is wonderful here, for one. If we find something in one of the northern states, it’ll be cold in winter, too, I think. You could get away from your father, and we’d get a fresh change in perspective.”

         Dane shook his head, gathering his headphones. “Do what you want.” He turned away, down the hall of the apartment building while putting the ear buds in and turning his music on. Once outside, he turned down the sidewalk to go to their rental car. He stopped, then went down along a green mini-van.

         “Here,” He said. Reaching forward, he took one of the many grocery bags from her trunk.

         The woman blinked, frightened at first. As he pulled out a headphone and leaded his arms with the heavy bags, though, she smiled. The woman hefted the infant in the straps across her chest. “Thank you.”

         Dane nodded, grabbing up all he could. Four bags left in the trunk, he stopped, gesturing to the building.

         “Oh, ah—“ She thought for a moment. “I’m in 2A, its up the stairs and on the left. You can just pile them in front of the door for me.”

         He headed back for the door. Froya held it open as she exited, and his father stepped out of the way. In Norwegian he said, “Dane, what are you doing?”

         What’s it look like? Dane thought. But he said nothing, and marched up the stairs. He dropped the bags gently at the door marked 2A. Returning to the door he found Froya holding it open as the woman slid through—two bags per hand, purse over the shoulder, and baby strapped to her chest.

         He held out a hand with a questioning look and she smiled. “I’ve got these, thank you so much for the help, though.”

         “You’re welcome.” He said, letting her walk past him. He walked through the door with Froya, meeting Jarl at their rented SUV.

         “Agh,” He said. With a curse, he walked away from the car. “Keys are in her stupid kitchen.”

         After the buildings door closed, Froya stepped in front of Dane’s line of sight. “I’m sorry for upsetting you.”

         He shook his head to the left, just once. “You didn’t.”          

         She rose her eyebrows. “Didn’t I?”

         Dane gave her a questioning look, and she leaned against their car with a sigh. “Your tone of voice when you told me to do whatever I wanted made it sound like you were mad at me.”

         He sighed. “You can try if you want, but it’s a bad idea. You don’t speak the language and neither of us would have a stable job like back home.”

         “I can learn English.”

         His lips pulled to the side, amused. “English isn’t like Latin—and you don’t speak that either really. Learning a second language isn’t just memorizing phrases like it is with spells.”

         She nodded solemnly, looking down.

         Great, he groaned in his head. Now she thinks I’ve scolded her.

         “Froya,” He said. She met his gaze. “I know I make a habit of not saying what’s on my mind. I realize it leads to confusion sometimes. Please know that despite appearances, I’m very stressed out right now. I’m handling it as best as I know how.”

         Froya nodded. “Okay. I hadn’t realized. About the apartments, or…?”

         He sighed. “About a lot of things.”

*****

         Dane paused, closing his eyes and going through a checklist in his head. He nodded at each item, then stood. He closed the suitcase, zipped his backpack, and headed into the kitchen. Pulling the magnetic grocery list pad from the fridge, he began to write.

         “What’s up?” Jokkum, his room mate, had come from the living room and was pointing at the suitcase.

         Dane continued writing. Jokkum came to his side, reading over his shoulder. “Whoa,” He said. “Are you breaking up with me?”

         Dane rolled his eyes, writing the last of the information. “I’m leaving for a few months. Not sure how long I’ll be gone.” He handed over the paper. “I’ll wire money to your account each month with my half of rent. There’s my new phone number, and the number for where I’ll be staying. They don’t speak Norwegian though.”

         “Dane, seriously. Chill out.” Jokkum said calmly. He set the paper down, putting his hands on his friend’s shoulders. “I know you don’t really care for Froya but you can’t just run off on her.”

         “I’m not abandoning her. The wedding hasn’t officially ben spoken of yet. I’m just going on an unannounced, extended vacation.”

         “Dane you know Jarl is going to notice you’re gone in at least three days. He’s gonna—“

         Dane took the hands off his shoulders. “You have my number if something happens.”

         Jokkum sighed, stepping away. “Where are you going, anyway?”

         He just gathered his bags, pulling his keys from his pocket.

         “Well have a safe trip.” Jokkum said.

*****

         “I’m here to see Cassie.” Dane said. The woman behind the desk gave him a confused look.

         “Are you a parent?” She asked him, though he looked too young still.

         “No.” He said. “I’m just here to see Cassie.”

         “Well,” The woman sighed, “She’s with her class right now until six—“

         “It’s urgent.” He said, leaning in a little.

         She sighed, but stood. “Wait here.” She came around the desk and walked past him to the door. She entered a code into the pad next to it, and entered the room across the hall. He saw her calling out to someone before the door closed. Seconds later it opened again and she came back, securing it behind herself.

         “She’ll be along.”

         Dane nodded to her in thanks, taking a seat on the bench across the room from the desk. He’d just gotten comfortable when the door opened again.

         This was a different Cassie than the one he’d remembered. As delicate as the innocent child he met, preserved in a womans body. Her skin was pale, hardly a freckle across her cheeks. The frame of her body was dainty, a feminine slenderness about it. She closed the door behind herself, then moved a piece of hair from her face and gave him a smile sweet as honey. “How can I help you?” Her voice was soft, she only whispered. The strand of bright, curly blonde fell into her face again and she left it. With hair so rebelliously curly it was no wonder she left it be.

         “Cassie Lassater?” He clarified. Her head shifted to him as he spoke, her smoked-glass blue eyes unmoving.

         “That’s me.” She said, quietly, still smiling softly. “What can I help you with?”

         He stood, taking a few steps toward her. “I’m Dane, do you remember me? From Florida?”

         She put on a thoughtful face. “No…I’m sorry.” Her voice was still hardly louder than a whisper, and he strained to hear her voice.

         “We met as children. We played in the hotel pool together.”

         Cassie shook her head. “I don’t remember. I’m sorry.” She did sound sorry, too.

         Dane sighed. “I need to talk to you in private.”

         Her smile faded a degree. “Is it a family emergency?”

         “Family, no. But it is urgent.”

         She nodded. “Well I’m with my kids until six, I’m sorry. I can’t leave them.”

         Dane stepped away, sitting on the bench again. “I’ll wait.”

         Cassie smirked. “It’s only two.” When he said nothing, she added quietly, “This is a loiter-free zone. If you aren’t a parent we can’t allow you to wait inside.”

         He stood. “I’ll wait outside.”

         “Well,” She said, “I can’t let you wait outside either.”

         Dane turned back. “I don’t have a car.”

         She sighed. “There’s a coffee shop a few miles down the road. I go there after work.” She held her hands out straight in front of her. “Follow this road, twenty-second I believe, five blocks. Turn left. Two blocks down is Common Grounds. I’ll be there when my kids have all been picked up.”

         He nodded, turning to leave. “I’ll see you there”
         
***** 

         Dane sat at a back table in the crowded coffee shop, holding an emptied mug. He’d been going over his speech, different variations it may take, worst and best case scenarios, for the past handful of hours. The mug had been refilled with cider twice already.

         “Cassie, hey!”

         He spun toward the door as someone called her name. She had just stepped through the doors, dark sunglasses and charming sunhat. She smiled at her name and waved to her right—the man behind the counter waved back even as he prepared someones drink. “I’ll bring your stuff right over.”

         He saw her mouth a thank you, heading along the wall to an empty table and taking a seat there. Her movements were careful and precise, he could tell just by watching that this was a daily routine. Dane gathered his mug and backpack, going to the table. The chair made a noise as the legs dragged across the floor. She looked up, a little surprised.

         “May I help you?”

         Slowly, Dane took a seat and set his mug down. “Cassie…what happened to you?”

         Cassie removed the sunglasses and hat, setting them on her lap. “Please introduce yourself or say something to me before you get so close. I frighten easily.”

         “It’s Dane.”

         She smiled a little. “I recognized the voice.” She paused to adjust her hat on her lap, thinking. “It happened when I was ten or so. My vision just slowly got worse and worse. For a while I just thought it was normal, the changing of the seasons or something. But when I mentioned it at the doctors he was very surprised, so I guess not. Well they never managed to figure out what happened. But I’ve adjusted well. It’s been ten years after all.”

         He nodded and was about to say something, but her lips moved. She smiled and nodded. He hesitated, then, “I’m sorry?”

         She spoke a little louder, “I said it’s been more than ten years. But I was close enough.” She turned her head a little, smiling softly. “Thanks, Carl.”

         He nearly jumped as the barista appeared alongside them, a cup and plate with half-sandwich in his hands. “I got new shoes. Finally saved up enough.”

         As he set them on the table, she took the purse from her shoulder and dug through it. She pulled out a wallet and opened the snap. “They squeak.”

         Carls face fell and he glanced down at the shoes. Cassie felt the bumps of cards within the wallet, pulling out the second one and handing it to him. He took it, and returned to the register.

         “Carl went to high school with me.” She said. “We had one class together but he’s always been nice to me.” As she spoke, she found the plate and cup with her hands. She sipped the coffee carefully, replacing it onto the table. A minute later Carl returned with her card, and she put it away.

         “When you were ten you went on vacation to a city in Florida. While staying at the hotel you visited the pool and played with a young boy your age.”

         She held the sandwich. “I honestly don’t remember. Around that time my life was very hectic going from doctor to doctor in and out of state, even.”

         Dane sighed. “Well I was the boy. I showed you magic, do you remember that?”

         “Magic? How’d you do magic in a giant pool without getting the playing cards wet?” She asked, laughing gently at her joke.

         “Not that kind of magic…I’m surprised it wasn’t a memory you kept…We had such a good time.”

         “Maybe you had more fun than me?” She suggested, taking a bite afterward.

         “No, you asked…” He stopped, going over the memory. “You agreed that you wanted to stay with me rather than go home.”

         She looked a little confused, and chewed slower.

         He spoke quieter now. “Cassie, I control air. I command it to move where I want or as fast as I want. I made waves in the water by rushing wind across the top of it. This place is more public than I would prefer, but I can demonstrate if you wish?”

         She gave him an unimpressed look. “No, thank you. So you were in town and looked me up?”

         “Well, you don’t remember so let me explain more. I come from a line of people who control the elements. Along with power over the four, there are also spells which command the body like sleeping or silencing spells. They are forbidden, for obvious reasons. And among them are the joining spells—joint minds, and joint souls. These bring the ethereal properties of two people together into one, but at great cost. Only very powerful magicians can use them. Joining minds isn’t such a big deal, except never having secrets again. But joining two souls is incredibly dangerous. Souls aren’t meant to be in two bodies at once. They physically can’t be contained in such a way. To share one single soul, the two people must always be within arms reach of each other, otherwise their soul will fall from their bodies.”

         She had been nodding or giving surprised expressions as she ate and as he spoke, but seemed more entertained by his story than worried for her future.

         “Cassie.” He said quietly. “When I was eleven I cast that spell on us. The two of us. Your birthday is coming up soon. Once that happens, it’ll go into effect. If we aren’t next to each other when it does, we’re both going to die.”

         She finished chewing slowly, swallowed, and took a few drinks of her coffee. “That’s interesting. So you believe in souls?”

         He blinked. “As much as I believe in the sun. I know this is a lot to take in, but we need to start to get to know each other. We’re going to be stuck together for the rest of our lives, starting in just a short while. I know I’m not the most interesting person; sorry.”

         Cassie drank a long sip from her coffee. “So you’re saying on my birthday my soul is going to try and combine with yours and that if I’m not next to you it’ll kill me?”

         He flipped his wrist. “For the most part, I suppose. It’ll try to stretch out of your body, to meet with mine. It’s like a bridge—if the gap is too large it’ll collapse.”

         She smirked, shaking her head a little, and whispered something.

         “I couldn’t hear you.” He said.

         She leaned in. “What are you saying I should do about it?”

         “Just that we will need to be next to each other. We’ll have only a couple feet of distance to work with before pain, and a few feet after that before death. I suggest we take the time between now and your birthday to get to know each other at a more comfortable pace.”

         She took a sip of coffee. Then another. Then, she ate the last two bites of her sandwich while inadvertently staring at him. After she was done she sighed, and shook her head. With a wince, she found the handle of the mug and turned the cup. “I’m sorry,” She whispered softly, “I don’t believe it. It just doesn’t make any sense.”

         Don’t believe it? He thought. He exhaled loudly.

         “I’ve had a couple strange stories, guys trying to convince me that I needed a strong strapping man to look after me. Their ideas were much more thought-out than yours. Better luck next time?”

         She winced in his direction, and she looked at least mostly sorry for turning him down.

         “This isn’t something you get to choose to believe in. You’re either alive or your dead, and the proximity to me is what determines it.”

         Cassie shook her head. “I don’t really believe in fairy tales anymore.”

         Dane leaned back. An idea came to him, and he pulled the metal ring from his left hand and dropped it loudly onto the table by her plate. “Take a look at that.”

         She sighed, but after he sat in silence for a few more drawn-out seconds, she fumbled for it with her hands. She felt it slowly before lifting it into her palm. “A ring?”

         “I’m engaged.” He said. “This isn’t an attempt to get at you. I don’t even know you.”

         Cassie nodded, and held it out on her palm. “Good. I’m also in a relationship and have no need for games.”

         He took the ring from her, slipping it back on with a sigh. “This isn’t a game, this is my life you’re jeopardizing.” He growled at her.

         She sighed. “Well you certainly sound upset. But I’m sorry, it’s a no. It’s just too far fetched. Please, leave me be.”

         Cassie flinched at the sound of his chair scraping back against the floor. His voice towered over her, deep and powerful. “I’ll leave you to your thoughts. But I’m not dying just because of you. I’ll be seeing you again.”

         She tried to think of a comeback, but he had grabbed his bag and stepped out the door before a good one came to her lips. Instead she slouched, resting her elbows on the table. She took a long deep breath, and sat in her thoughts.

*****

         
         Air rushed from the bus as it lowered itself. Dane looked over lazily and sighed with relief when she stepped off. He stood up from the curb and retrieved his shirt off the ground. He grudgingly put it on as she slowly made her way down the sidewalk toward him.

         “Cassie,” He called when she was near enough.

         She stopped, sighing. “I thought I smelled you. What are you doing here?”

         “Here to talk.” He said.

         As a wind blew past, Cassie adjusted her sunhat. It was the same she wore to the café yesterday. “I don’t think there’s anything I need to hear. I don’t know you, but from what I can gather you’re a little cracked in the head.”

         Dane sighed. This wasn’t going according to the possible scenarios he’d gone over in his head. Another breeze crossed past him, blowing wrinkles into his shirt.

         “Windy day today.”

         Cassie found the edge of the sidewalk with her slender cane, and stood there. “Please let me pass.”

         “Hate for you to lose your hat.” He said. She gave him an unimpressed look. His arms raised out to his sides and he said quietly, “Adhuc ventum.”

         The air around them coagulated. It stood abnormally thick and quiet against their bodies. Cassie took a long deep breath, to be sure she still could.

         “Still hot.” He said, stepping just a little closer. He extended his left arm straight toward her and said quietly, “Ventus heims.” His mana lifted and evaporated, blowing a rush of frigid winter air past her. Cassie took half a step back in surprise.

         “What did…” She breathed. Dane released the still air to normal and she grabbed her hat as the wind pulled at it.

         “You believe I control wind now?” He asked her, bored.

         “It was…” She started. “It was an anomaly.”

         “This hot?”

         She started to shake her head.

         “Air is hard to be convinced of. There’s not much proof it’s me moving it.” He explained. “I’m going to put you asleep.” She gave him a frightened and suspicious look. “My magic will tell your brain to sleep and you’ll be out. I’ll then carry you to the front door, and wake you.”

         She took a half step back, looking like she was about to run.

         “Somnum.” He commanded. Her body sagged even before her eyes had closed. Dane had stepped forward to catch her shoulder before she went down, moving to get her knees into his other arm. He hefted her up to his chest, taking a moment to stand and exhale under her weight. She was slim, but the hundred-twenty-something pounds was a lot for him.

         Dane carefully walked her up the path to the front door. He knelt, and as he set her down he said, “Excito.”

         Her eyes fluttered open and her hands gripped at his arms as she found her bearings. She adjusted her hat once she was safely on the concrete patio. “It’s just not possible.”

         He sighed. “Sorry. This is my fault. But we’re going to have to get through it together.”

         She quietly inhaled, moving to rest against the front door. She closed her eyes and whispered something.

         “…What?”

         She whispered louder, “I was just saying it’s bizzare. I don’t think I really believe it yet.”

         Dane sat on the first porch step.

         “So what now?”

         Dane shrugged. “We learn to deal with it.”

         “And how do we do that? My parents aren’t going to let some stranger start living with me.”

         He didn’t mention yet that they’d have to share a bed, too. “That, and we can’t work normally anymore. I can’t very well follow you around the day care center.”

         She shook her head. “Gosh…and you’re not even from around here are you?”

         “Norway.” He said.

         She rested her head on the door. “I don’t even know where that is.”

         “Russia, kind of.”

         Her eyebrows raised for a moment. She sighed. “Get to know each other, huh?”

         He nodded. Then, “So we aren’t strangers.”

         Cassie leaned forward, crossing her legs and leaning her elbows onto them. “I guess I’ll take down your phone number, and call you when I have time to…do something.” She took the purse from her shoulder, found her phone from within, and opened it. It was a basic phone, with big buttons. She pressed a few then nodded. “Go ahead.”

         He rattled the number to her, and she closed the phone. “I’ll call you tomorrow sometime. Today I need some rest.”

         “Understandable. I’ll wait for your call.”
© Copyright 2014 Heather I Relken (relken0608 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000182-Little-Hazel-Eyes