*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000491-Prompt--9---Cancer
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2000491
Pearls from a lonely old man.
[w/c: 421]

         Coming into work early Angela felt moody.  It was ever since the Zoo obtained Leo and his handler that she felt confused and conflicted.  Sitting down at her desk she was hoping to find an imaginative resolution to the questions that have plagued these past few weeks.

                   Mr. McPhearson was a shrewd businessman and he offered to be her protector in a paternal sort of way.  Putting her puzzling thoughts aside she turned opening the filing cabinet next to her desk. Looking into the drawer she found a silver box with a red crab leg sticking out of it.  She picked the box up and opened the lid.  Within the box was a rubber crab holding a pearl bracelet in its claw.

                   Now how did that get in here she wondered.

                   At that moment Mr. McPhearson arrived. Putting his messenger pack on the floor he ran his fingers through his thinning hair and quickly adjusted his tie.

                   “Oh good you discovered Oscar.  He smiled and pointed to the rubber crab.

                   Angela placed the toy crab and pearl bracelet on her desk.

                   “And look, he has a gift for you.” Mr. McPhearson’s smile widened.

         “This is from you?” the look of astonishment blazed across her face.

                   “Yes, it is a small gift; something pretty to go on your wrist when you attend the charity event this weekend.” His smile never left his face.

                   “Mr. McPhearson, I can’t accept this.” Angela backed away from the desk.

                   “I’m an old man and my one guilty pleasure in life is to give beautiful women a small gift when they least expect it.”

                   Angela was sympathetic to her employer, but she was more conflicted than ever.  He had lost his wife a couple of years earlier to a devastating form of cancer that took her faster than anyone expected.

                   “I – I don’t know what to say…” Tears threatened to spill.

                   “You will hold out your wrist so I may fasten the clasp. ‘Thank you and you shouldn’t have are the usual things to say next.’  Just dry your eyes and give me a smile.”

                   “Thank you. It is beautiful. You shouldn’t have done it.” She gave a timid him a timid smile.

                   “I meant what I said to you the other day. You are now within my close circle.  If there is anything I can do for you, just ask.”  Mr. McPhearson picked up his messenger pack and walked into his office. 
© Copyright 2014 GaelicQueen (gaelicqueen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000491-Prompt--9---Cancer