*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000957-Trial-by-Magic-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2000957
A vampire hunter, a wizard, and a speaker for the dead uncover a scheme to steal magic.
Chapter 1

Summer Vacation





David

#


This isn’t what I had in mind for my first visit to a castle, David thought.

“The world isn’t black and white.” A demon leaned over David’s left shoulder. Its short horns almost touching David’s head.

David’s head spun like a gymnast on the high bar.

“There are shades of gray.” A second demon leaned over David’s right shoulder. Its lips pressed against David’s ear. Long, black hair hung in wavy strands to its back. Horns curled around its ears.

“There is no good and evil. Just your perception of the truth,” the left demon said.

David clenched his jaws and pressed his hands against his eyes. He wasn’t going to cry. Not again.

He’d lost track of how long he’d spent in the cage. He knew his captors wanted to study his abilities; but even he didn’t understand them. Demons came and went at their leisure. It didn’t matter where he was or what he did.

I just want to— He knew death wasn’t the answer. Not yet. If he killed himself now, he’d just be locked in eternal torment. With more demons.

“Why are you here?” David asked.

“You know why,” the left demon said.

“The prophesy.” The words escaped his throat like a noose’s whisper.

The right demon nodded. “You are our key.”

David drew his knees inward and wrapped his arms around his legs. He wouldn’t help them if he could. But how do you avoid destiny?

The demon on the left used the barb on its tail to turn David’s head. “Turn, the whisperer has—joined our cause at last—until the battle’s won, we’ll fight against the Son.” A smile spread across its face, revealing fangs. “Ready to begin?”

David sat in silence.

“Silence is consent,” the right demon said.

The left demon glared at its partner with narrowed eyes. “The war will start soon, David. You must prepare yourself. Can you stand against the might of God alone?” It smiled at David, once more. “You need friends. Friends to help you prepare.”

“Friends like us,” the right demon said.

The cell’s door opened, stone crating against stone. A tall man walked into the room. Long, straight, black hair framed his pale face. Faded blue eyes stared at David. He did not smile. He wore a long, black jacket with bell sleeves, a black, button-down shirt, black pants, and black dress shoes.

“Black must be your favor color.” David said.

“Finally ready to talk?” the man asked.

David shrugged.

The demons shrank back from the newcomer.

“He wishes to take you for himself,” the left demon said.

“To use you as his tool,” the right said.

“They’re here, now, aren’t they?” the man asked.

David didn’t look at him. He couldn’t. The man’s face turned his stomach. So close, the handsome features changed into a grim vision. Deep, dark bags dragged down dead eyes, heavy wrinkles lined a face drained of color, and thin lips framed rooted, chipped teeth. The upper canines elongated into fangs. Scraggly, patchy hair clumped against the man’s skull. His clothes, however, remained untarnished.

“You know what he is,” the left demon said.

“Why keeps you,” the right said.

“Almost constantly,” David said. He could ignore the demons when someone else was around. It felt good to have company. Even if it was his torturer.

“They seek to turn you against me,” the man said.

“Against everyone,” David said.

The man barked a short laugh. “Such is the nature of demons.”

“Lies,” the right demon said.

“We want you to be happiest,” the left said.

“We only work to help you achieve greatness,” the right said.

“I’ve brought dinner.” He turned to point his open hand toward the door.

It opened slowly. A hunched, old butler carried a silver tray. Porcelain plates and silver utensils atop a silk napkin.

David stared greedily at the plates. “Soup, salad, bread? Steak, asparagus, potatoes? I’ve never eaten better.”

“You’re not a prisoner.”

David grabbed the bars and gave them a shake.

“For your safety.”

“They don’t keep the demons out.”

“They keep other …things away,” the man said.

“His friends,” the right demon said.

“Almost as nice to look at,” the left said.

“We can be friends, David,” the man said.

“No, we can’t, Gordon. I know what you are.”

“To know a thing, is to know its purpose,” Gordon said. “What’s my purpose?”

“Killing.”

“A means to an end.” Gordon waved a hand through the air, brushing the idea aside.

“Not yours,” David said.

Gordon closed his eyes and pressed fingers against the bridge of his nose. “You’d try the patience of the Pope.”

David rubbed his neck. The chain around it reassured his fingers. A simple, silver chain.

“You think I like having you here, tormenting you? Tell me what I want to know. You can end this torture.”

“Three squares isn’t torture,” David said.

“You’ll need your strength for the trials ahead,” Gordon said.

#

Ted

#


The early morning fog settling over the lake reminded Ted of the snow swirling over the road the day he received his wand. Placing the wand in his back pocket, he smiled. That was a good day.

He chewed his lip and stared at the empty beach.

“First to arrive.” Stephanie leapt out of the horseless carriage. She ran toward the beach, kicked off her sandals, and curled her toes in the cool sand. Her eyes closed with satisfaction.

“It’s too cold to swim.” Ted crossed his arms over his chest.

“Help me unpack.” Dad leaned deep into the trunk. Taking a step back, he placed a large basket onto the ground. He reached back into the carriage’s trunk. He tossed out a blanket, an umbrella, four, folding lounge chairs, another umbrella, and a bag of beach towels.

As Ted walked over to help set up, he heard a familiar rumble. “Uncle James!”

A black, 1968 Mustang rolled to a stop atop the grassy knoll. The front door opened, exposing the red leather interior. A man with dark hair and a dark leather jacket lovingly closed the door. He smiled warmly at Ted.

“James,” Dad said. “This is a Beaumont family gathering.”

Mom placed a hand on her husband’s arm.

Uncle James raised an eyebrow. “I wouldn’t be here, my dear brother, except you forgot to sign Ted’s release papers.” He winked at Ted. “I can’t take him for the summer without your signature…or so the Council tells me.”

Dad ran a hand through his hair. “Sorry, James, I’ve been so busy…” He sighed. “I just forgot.”

Uncle James waved away the apology. “No matter, as long as everything’s in order, I’ll begin training Ted as soon as he’d like.”

“Today?” Ted asked.

“Why don’t I pick you up tomorrow morning?”

Ted frowned sourly.

“You want to miss all the fun?” Uncle James asked.

Dad handed the papers back to Uncle James. “All in order.”

“See you tomorrow.” Uncle James waved goodbye.

As Ted waved, he saw two goats top the rise. “Great.”

The goats wore harnesses. As they came closer, Ted saw they pulled a large carriage.

Dad grinned. “I can’t believe he drove that.”

Mom slapped his arm. “He only drives it on special occasions.”

Stephanie ran toward the goat cart. “Trudy!” She flung her arms wide as a young woman with blonde hair leapt from the cart.

“Great.” Ted stared at his cousin and frowned.

#

Jordan

#


There are worse things than failing a homework assignment. Not in Mrs. Fredrickson’s mind, of course. Some things, regular humans just couldn’t understand.

The roar of the engine filled her ears and blocked out thought as Jordan slammed her foot down on the accelerator. Her long, brown hair streamed outward into the night air as the convertible raced down I-275, near Detroit. The cool night air caused her skin to prickle. Her dark eyes glared into the night. No moon illuminated the sky, just the sparse stars visible beyond the street lights.

She tapped her earpiece, “I’m nearing the location.”

“What?” the voice in her ear asked.

Jordan slammed on the brake pedal, the tires squealing in protest, as she approached the exit ramp. A flicker of motion drew her eye. The black Mustang slid sideways as it stopped. Jumping out, she ran to the road’s shoulder. The pentagram hanging from her neck—single point up—bounced against her sternum. “I’m here.”

“S-Steady,” the male voice replied.

She slowed to a careful tiptoe.

A bloated corpse lay motionless on the ground, covered in white linen. A few drops of blood led to its face. Dead leaves and gravel dirtied the once clean cloth.

Jordan carefully approached. She slid two wooden stakes from her belt. Ash.

The body twisted. Its purple face snarled at Jordan. Arms reached toward her, long nails tried to scratch her.

Jordan stepped into the attack, twisting away from the air. Sliding to the ground, she performed a right split. Her right leg between the creature’s legs. Her body between the purple limbs, she drove one stake upward into the creature’s mouth and upper pallet and one stake into the creature’s heart.

The body fell limply to the ground.

Jordan took a moment to compose herself. After a deep breath, she sighed, “I hate when they do that.” Standing, she pulled out her camera and snapped a few photos, “I need a disposal team—”

The man’s voice interrupted her, “We’re t-tracking your llocation, Agent MMMielzynski. A t-team will be s-sent immediately.”

Jordan walked back to her sports car.

“An-Another revenant?” the voice asked.

“I think so.” Jordan opened the car door. “That’s four in as many days.” She leaned against the red leather seats. “What’s causing their sudden increase?”

“D-Did you r-r-remove the head?”

“Hold on.” Jordan walked to the back of the Mustang, opened the trunk, and pulled out a longsword. Walking back to the corpse, she calmly separated its head from its body. “Done.”

“P-Protocol mmmust b-be followed.”

Jordan wiped the gore from her blade and returned it to the trunk of the Mustang. Leaning against the rear of her car, Jordan watched a black Expedition roll to a stop behind the corpse. She crossed her arms and waited for them to examine the body.

Four men exited the SUV, one approached Jordan. He greeted her with a nod. “Agent, Mielzynski,” he said with an Albanian accent.

She raised an eyebrow. “I thought you were still in Europe, Agent Dhampiraj.”

He smiled. “The Vatican wanted me to watch over our newest agent.”

She twisted her lips to the left in a not impressed expression, but remained silent.

“What can you tell me about the creature?” he asked.

“It’s a revenant.”

“As simple as that?” Without another word he strode over to the body.

Jordan glared at his back.

“R-R-Remain calm Agent MMMielzynski. Agent D-Dhampiraj is an excellent field agent. You c-c-could llearn mmmuch from him,” the voice in her ear said.

“If they didn’t think I was ready, Randolph, why send me into the field?”

In her ear, Randolph sighed. “Just b-because you are r-r-ready, d-doesn’t mmmean you c-c-can’t still llearn.”

Jordan sighed.

By the body, Agent Dhampiraj spat. His phone beeped and he quickly read the text.

Jordan raised an eyebrow. “Something’s wrong.” She stood and began to walk toward him. She tapped her earpiece. “Did you copy, Randolph?”

Agent Dhampiraj stalked over to Jordan with a scowl. “Go home.”

“What?”

“You’ve been recalled.”

Jordan glared at him.

Agent Dhampiraj returned to the van. Inside, he began typing on a computer sandwiched between the seats.

Jordan opened the passenger door. “Where are we going?”

“We aren’t going anywhere.”

“Agim.” She sat in the passenger seat and crossed her arms. “I found the revenant, I have first rights.”

He nodded. “But, you have a new assignment.”

“Just c-c-confirmed it, Jordan,” Randolph said.

“Follow orders, Agent Mielzynski,” Dhampiraj said.

Jordan slammed the door and took a deep breath. As she sat in her car, she watched Agent Dhampiraj’s team work her site. With a growl she started her car and returned to base.

© Copyright 2014 SwordntheStone22 (benk22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2000957-Trial-by-Magic-Chapter-1